Mobile tea wagon

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

For those of a certain age and background, the NAAFI or YMCA tea wagon* was an essential, working remote from the canteen required that they 'came' to you.

spacer.png

This masterful conversion of a Airfix K2 is way beyond my ability, even the flooring is correctly replicated in lino but it does inspire.

spacer.png

A static trailer is not suitable as the canteen as they had to travel around the establishment, any suggestion as to what 1:76 vans are suitable for multilation? Please note that the timeframe is very much in the mid '50s.

* For me it was the Aggie Weston van, wonderful baked bean pies.

Thank you and StaySafe

7 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

For those of a certain age and background, the NAAFI or YMCA tea wagon* was an essential, working remote from the canteen required that they 'came' to you.

spacer.png

This masterful conversion of a Airfix K2 is way beyond my ability, even the flooring is correctly replicated in lino but it does inspire.

spacer.png

A static trailer is not suitable as the canteen as they had to travel around the establishment, any suggestion as to what 1:76 vans are suitable for multilation? Please note that the timeframe is very much in the mid '50s.

Thank you and StaySafe

Oxford do an Austin K8 and a Commer, amongst others. Not only did these mobile canteens serve large factories and military bases, bur they were often to be seen at major road and railway incidents.

• Like 2

Road Transport Images do a Bedford K type integral van and a Fordson Thames 2-ton integral, both suitable for your time period, and, being resin mouldings, they are quite easy to modify. John Day Models do a Fordson BBE integral van as a whitemetal kit suitable for 1940s-50s in whitemetal, and the now-defunct Highway Models did a whitemetal kit of an Austin K3 NAAFI (or WVS) tea van, but very hard to find nowadays.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you and StaySafe

Aggie's brings back a few memories...although it was also the start of a few lost ones as well! :D

• Like 2

Guest Jack Benson

Another image of the wondrous YMCA tea wagon

spacer.png

Having looked at RTI's integral vans, I am not sure if they capture the 'boxy' shape but the Oxford Austin ATV maybe also be capable of conversion.

76ATV004_1051966_1.jpg.06c726dd2606f9589747d03a0f34dee4.jpg

Or the smaller, slightly more modern Fordson

Naafi_Fordson.jpg.d4a4632d75217bf01bed8c54710799ce.jpg

I rather like the Fordson but the K2 has an angular charm.

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium

Actually the Fordson and the Austin K2 are contemporary, both produced during WW2. The Fordson is the one that I have the model kit for but alas is long out of production. Quite a few of the Austin K2 ATV's were converted to canteens during and after the war and I would suggest converting one of the Oxford ones.

• Like 1

The prototype of the Oxford Austin is more or less the basis of the Highway Models one I mentioned previously, with the addition of a serving hatch on the nearside and an entrance door at the rear. A rudimentary interior was also included in the kit. The photo is of my "de-mobbed" version.

DSCN5382.JPG

• Like 4

Guest Jack Benson

As I have a Fordson, a K2 police van is inbound, the angularity is delightful, maybe  the design department had lost their french curves and used a Helix ruler?

Unfortunately, too many stand easies were spent at similar vehicles in the bitingly cold wind, hoping that there was still a bacon sandwich. The fact that our dispersal was at the far end of the airfield meant that a cold cheese sarnie was all too often a poor substitute.  

StaySafe

Kent Fire Brigade raised the height of some of their K2 ATVs by adding a 2foot high clerestory section to the main body, and installing a solid back with a tall part-glazed rear door concealing a better step up from road level. They were used as service vans/mini workshops for fire and Kent ambulance services  but could have suited a tea van application.

White livery for the ambulance service, and dark green for fire.

Edited by Mike Harvey
correction
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2021 at 23:15, PhilJ W said:

I have a resin kit obtained many years ago of a Fordson E83W WVS van. I'm not sure of the manufacturer but they produced 00 scale military models. They also made a Humber heavy utility (woody estate car).

That'll be Bull Models and still available from them I believe.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, wamwig said:

That'll be Bull Models and still available from them I believe.

Yes thats the one, they didn't have a website when I purchased them at a military modelling exhibition about fifteen/twenty years ago. About time to dig them out and build them. 

Guest Jack Benson

My sons are off to the IPMS ‘do’ at Telford, they might find a John Bull kit or their current address….which I will upload.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

I found a K2 NAAFI wagon in whitemetal once offered by Sgts Mess, it looks interesting and wasn’t too expensive except the postage from the USA was not funny. I will post some piccys, if and when it appears.

Btw, can anyone help to find Bull Models of Northfleet, run by Peter Bailey, all mention seems to have ceased sometime ago.

Thank you

93058CCE-6BFD-4334-8BEB-7F24E888BBDC.png.ba2267d5d7f19a418bff7d59560b1ac4.png

Edited by Jack Benson

33 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

I found a K2 NAAFI wagon in whitemetal once offered by Sgts Mess, it looks interesting and wasn’t too expensive except the postage from the USA was not funny. I will post some piccys, if and when it appears.

Btw, can anyone help to find Bull Models of Northfleet, run by Peter Bailey, all mention seems to have ceased sometime ago.

Thank you

Is this them? They seem to have moved from Northfleet, to somewhere else starting with an N; Netherlands...

https://www.blacklionshop.nl/en/category/bull-models/

Edited by Fat Controller
Antipodal misdirection...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Thank you

They are no longer in production unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Is this them? They seem to have moved from Northfleet, to somewhere else starting with an N; Netherlands...

https://www.blacklionshop.nl/en/category/bull-models/

This is a trader selling old stock.

Guest Jack Benson

Phil,

Sgts Mess this link should work, they offer some interesting items, unfortunately I only discovered them after ordering from their US dealer.:mad:

They offer an Austin K2 NAAFI tea wagon.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

The Austin K2 NAAFI Tea Wagon appears to be a WM kit, it was sold as made by Sgts Mess.

spacer.png

spacer.png

No idea of the provenance, possibly a bought-in kit or obsolete manufacturer?

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Just received a PM informing me of Peter Bailey’s email. The Naafi is still available, Peter seems to be still running Bull Models.

I will provide further info, as and when. Please send me a PM, if interested in this excellent range of steam era road vehicles.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

it is rather satisfying to post a successful outcome. Peter Bailey, is indeed, still the owner of Bull Models but has changed address and been rather quiet during lockdown. He used to sell Milicast products in the South and Blacklion in the Netherlands is the only retailer of his range.

And he still offers the Naafi van for £15 plus £2.50 postage, payment by PayPal. 

Thanks to everyone who contributed in any way, I will post again when both version of the van pitch up, an essential feature of the Longridge Camp sidings micro layout described elsewhere on RMweb

StaySafe