Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Thompson L1

Andy Y

This one mucky enough? An ABS kit I built about 15 years ago, and fully lined, just about finished my third one, ah well, looks like a fourth one beckons.

Not the best picture, sorry.

post-110-081696400 1284408585_thumb.jpg

(Computer shorts due to excessive drooling....) Yes, that's about the sort of thing!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

What isn't largely known is that during the problems with the Glasgow North electrification in 1961, steam locos were called in from outside the ScR to assist, among these being Fowler and Stanier 2-6-4Ts from the LM and a pair of L1s from the NE. After the bugs with the Blue Trains were ironed out and normal service resumed, most of the locos went home but after having been 'courtesy shopped' at Cowlairs over the winter of 1961-2, the NE never asked for the locos back and they gravitated to Inchkennet, where various duties kept them shuffling the about the locality until 1966... ;)

Dave.

What isn't largely known is that during the problems with the Glasgow North electrification in 1961, steam locos were called in from outside the ScR to assist, among these being Fowler and Stanier 2-6-4Ts from the LM and a pair of L1s from the NE. After the bugs with the Blue Trains were ironed out and normal service resumed, most of the locos went home but after having been 'courtesy shopped' at Cowlairs over the winter of 1961-2, the NE never asked for the locos back and they gravitated to Inchkennet, where various duties kept them shuffling the about the locality until 1966... ;)

Dave.

I thought they were sent to Inverurie where they were oushopped with the rear of the bunker lined out in Inverurie fashion? I think I've seen a picture of a pair at Stirling on their way to Aberdeen (also dragging some pre-grouping coaches for scrapping).... B)

Looking at them, they are ugly by Thompsons standard but Hornby has done a great job of these. I may buy one of these in black and excuse them as a running-in turn under this alternate reality. :P

• RMweb Gold

Dave.

Glad to see you've been taking your "balanced stud" guidelines from certain purveyors of the Somerset & Dorset, Dave! :P

• RMweb Gold

just had a good look at this, is the colour right? i'am not an eastern man so i don't know

Derek

I don't know either but as a rule its best to see it in the flesh than on the web.

On the web colour is subjected to many variables.

Type of camera that was used to take the pictures, the settings for it.

How the image was compressed.

Even down to our own PC monitors, they can all be configured differently too.

Coachman that is a great photo.

The question is are we as modellers too demanding about our models being too consistant in colour? I am ware of Puffing billy here in Victoria turning there stock due to paint wear and fading on the line!

Anyhoo back on topic... Mr rails SEND! :D

Hi

Yes indeed a beautiful model and Hornby have captured the prototype very well from the pictures I have seen. The brass built is a beauty also and that where my questions stem from.

I noticed the brass model had what seemed to be electric lights front and rear. Checked rails from the links and same on the Hornby model. I thought only BOBs Merchant Navy and rebuilts had the electric lights.

So are they electric lights and if so what is their lighting configuration, was their red in there also and what were the 2 in the middle for? Did the loco have cab lights then and lit gauges?

Sound should be fairly easy as it is a 2 cylinder loco. I have being on a couple of sites including the LNER site and cannot find what type of whistle it had. Anyone know.

Cheers

Martin

Guest Max Stafford

Martin, I believe these locos had the LNER standard high-pitched whistle. Thompson and Peppercorn era locos were routinely fitted with electric lighting although strangely their use never really caught on and the equipment generally fell into disuse over time.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

When I saw the L1 preproduction models at Swindon the paint work looked a tad darker in tone than the photos posted by Andy. However there are so many variables with photos and electronic media that the best way to judge is to pick up a production model and scan it with the MK1 Eyeball .

• RMweb Gold

When I saw the L1 preproduction models at Swindon the paint work looked a tad darker in tone than the photos posted by Andy. However there are so many variables with photos and electronic media that the best way to judge is to pick up a production model and scan it with the MK1 Eyeball .

Photo reproduction is another problem - I took four or five pics of that display at Swindon and between them the L1s turned out in at least three different ones of green, entirely down to lighting and angle. The only way to judge in my view is against an accurate colour sample or known correct source (vide Larry above) in precisely the same light conditions.

Just returned from Barrow Hill where several traders had the L1 in stock. The cheapest price I saw was £66. It looks very nice indeed and the only reason I didn't buy one is because they were all green and I'm waiting for the black one. It looks well worth the wait though.

Hi

Thanks for that at least now I know and I can decide from there. Does anyone know the lighting configurations on this loco. What was red/white etc.

Martin, I believe these locos had the LNER standard high-pitched whistle. Thompson and Peppercorn era locos were routinely fitted with electric lighting although strangely their use never really caught on and the equipment generally fell into disuse over time.

Cheers

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Of the two electric lamps in the bottom middle position (above the coupling), one was red to act as a tail light, the other one, and all of the other three, were white and used as required to display the standard lamp headcodes.

The electric lights never seemed to be used very much. During daylight hours discs or oil lamps were still needed to show the class of train as the small electric lights did not show up very well. In the nineties K1 62005 and A2 60532 had fully functioning generators and lighting, in addition to white and red some lights had a blue setting which we were lead to believe was to be used instead of white during air raids.