Hornby Thompson L1

Andy Y

Guest Max Stafford

It would be nice to have some non-corridor stock to go with all these lovely tank engines that have arrived over the past couple of years. Nice Stanier period 3s, Thompsons or revamped Mk1s would all be equally acceptable to this man.

I'm sure they would be better than my current bodge of putting the Bachmann coach bodies on a 57' BG chassis. Currently stalled while I try to obtain some Replica glazing from the 64' models they did! And then there's the new roof vents... :blink:

Dave.

Currently stalled while I try to obtain some Replica glazing from the 64' models they did! And then there's the new roof vents... :blink:

Dave.

Should be able to just phone them up and order some packs. You need to file the corners a little though on the Bachmann frames.

Guest Max Stafford

Larry, that would certainly be a nice choice. Craig, I can't seem to find a contact for Replica. Do you know of one?

Thanks.

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some modellers need an excuse to buy a loco, one being that it would appear in the area they are modelling. To some people this is without compromise and they would never buy a loco that would be out of region on their layout. I am not one of those people but I rarely purchase anything that would be way out of region. My philosphy is that I normally purchase anything that could be seen between Didcot and Banbury at any time in the last 50+ years. Imagine my delight when thumbing through one of my books to see a photo of an L1 at Banbury at the haed of a train to Woodford Halse, In fact there were at least three L1's that regularly did the run, bring 'em on Hornby!

Maybe Hornby should have another go at LNER Gresley coaches with a couple of suburbans. ...

Only if we can find someone able to persuade Hornby to put the beading in the right place on a correctly profiled side: NOT matching their current significantly incorrect product. (And then go back and produce an accurate set of Gresley corridor stock with a more useful selection of types: BG, end vestibule type first, third, brake third, and buffet perhaps?)

... Imagine my delight when thumbing through one of my books to see a photo of an L1 at Banbury at the head of a train to Woodford Halse, In fact there were at least three L1's that regularly did the run, bring 'em on Hornby!

Just two days ago I found a fine picture of an LNER ex-GN large atlantic standing on Swindon shed in 1936. I will let Hornby know that there's the loco to quiet all the GWRistas clamour for something to commemorate GWR175: not only 'Gresley Was Right', but 'Ivatt Knew Best'.

• RMweb Premium

Just two days ago I found a fine picture of an LNER ex-GN large atlantic standing on Swindon shed in 1936. I will let Hornby know that there's the loco to quiet all the GWRistas clamour for something to commemorate GWR175: not only 'Gresley Was Right', but 'Ivatt Knew Best'.

Poor thing was probably lost and Gods Wonderful Railway took it in and felt sorry for it . Being such nice people at Swindon they cared for it until it was better, and when it went home they all agreed that the person who designed it must have been ill at the time, what other explanation could there be for such an ugly duckling compared to those beautiful locomotives all around it!!!!:P

An LNER V2 ended up in Swindon works and they put a copper capped chimney on it, there is a photo to prove it in a book.

I've seen the photo too but I thought that it was done by Doncaster as a wind up when K J Cook moved there from Swindon as the new boss.

ASM

I've seen the photo too but I thought that it was done by Doncaster as a wind up when K J Cook moved there from Swindon as the new boss.

ASM

I think there's truth to both stories actually - I've seen a photograph of a V2 at Swindon, fitted to a ROD tender, with its own aside it, being repaired (can't remember where, frustratingly. I think it might have been Steam World Magazine). The other story I also thought was true, and again I can't remember where I saw it! :(

I'm 22 and have a terrible memory recall...

• RMweb Gold

Ex GN large atlantics at one time had a regular turn to Swindon having displaced the much better looking GC atlantics on the job. Alas later things got even worse as the atlantics were replaced, possibly with something else in between, by B1s - always an interesting thing on a Sunday shed visit to Swindon to find the rattly interloper from the north amidst the copper-capped GW finery.

BTW I believe the v2 acquired its copper cap while at Swindon for trials.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think he has a website, but his e-mail is mike.dmr@btopenworld.com, tele 01872 272 325. The other week he was still waiting for some of the L1 detail parts.

Moving on, we're getting ready to exhibit at ModelRail Barrow Hill in just under 3 weeks time. We were in the process of making 2 L1's for the layout, the first an ABS whitemetal kit, which unfortunately will not be finished in time because of problems with the cylinder block casting, but the attached photos are of the DMR L1 which has borrowed some bits from the ABS kit and a Craftsman C12 to finish it off. This hasn't been made by me, it's Ian Forsyth's, but as with all DMR kits I've come across its turned out to be a very nice model. I'm sure that when Mike Russell overcomes his part delivery problems it will be on general release even with the Hornby model coming out.

If your an EM or P4 modeller, would you buy the RTR model or a kit like this? Much more fun making brass and whitemetal kits even though I'd like to introduce the ABS kit to a 5 lb hammer right now.

post-7553-128370774762_thumb.jpg

post-7553-128370780223_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I also saw the two examples at Swindon (cracking day out) GWR 175. The L1's are real beauties with a wealth of fine detail.I itried photographing them and can usually get round the reflection on the glass but could not get a decent image so well done for getting that photo. They really are a lovely proportioned loco, cannot wait to see some black grimey examples.

I also saw the two examples at Swindon (cracking day out) GWR 175. The L1's are real beauties with a wealth of fine detail.I itried photographing them and can usually get round the reflection on the glass but could not get a decent image so well done for getting that photo. They really are a lovely proportioned loco, cannot wait to see some black grimey examples.

I'd love to get a HEAVILY weathered example in BR black. Not sure what the chances of that are, though....

The L1 seems to have very small drivers (prototypically correct, I'm sure). They just seem to be out of proportion, making the design seem a little off-balance, to me at least.

JE

The L1 seems to have very small drivers (prototypically correct, I'm sure). They just seem to be out of proportion, making the design seem a little off-balance, to me at least.

JE

The thing that throws me is the way the R of LNER is set so close to the window. I know that is probably prototypical, but it does look slightly odd to me.