6 pin decoder options.

Julia

Having in the past been really happy with my CT Elektric decoders, I was *exceedingly* miffed to discover they appear to have gone out of business. 

Having not bought a new loco for a few years, I need a new decoder for my latest acquisition. What are the options for really good, really small 6 pin decoders? Price is secondary to quality. Needs to understand large addresses, do 128 speed steps, and have good low speed performance. 

What are my options?

J

• RMweb Premium

CT still exist, they have produced the decoder boards for the new N gauge society diesel shunter. But... they are no longer generally available from UK dealers. I believe some determined people have sourced them from the EU. No one seems able to produce decoders as thin as CT, but it has to be said that Zimo have many more cv options along with the easier ability to add stay-alives.

14 minutes ago, Izzy said:

CT still exist, they have produced the decoder boards for the new N gauge society diesel shunter. But... they are no longer generally available from UK dealers. I believe some determined people have sourced them from the EU. No one seems able to produce decoders as thin as CT, but it has to be said that Zimo have many more cv options along with the easier ability to add stay-alives.

I am actually based in the EU. Unless my google fu is *REALLY* weak. I can't find them for sale anywhere.  :(

J

As others have said,  Zimo, MX615 (new model) or MX616 (older model) are really small, getting towards CT size.   

Or D&H have some small decoders which should be available in EU.   

The old standby Tran/CT stockist used to be Krois-Modelle in Austria, don't know if they still have them ?  

- Nigel

2 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

What is a Zimo MX615 please?

It's not on the Zimo website, but some stockists seem to have it for pre order. 

8.2 x 5.7 x 2mm 0.5A

https://www.n-spoorstore.nl/nl/n-spoor/digitaal/digitale-decoders/digitale-decoders-zimo/zimo-mx615-locdecoder-draad-8-2-x-5-7-x2mm-0-5a

I think 0.5A is a bit low for my use case, (H0e), but for one of my railbuses it looks mighty tempting. 

I really like that they do it in 2mm thickness. If they could now make a 0.8-1A version that is 2mm thick, that would be lovely. The benchmark is the DCX76 at 10.8 x 7.1 x 1.3 mm. 

J

@Julia I model in H0e and have managed to get a MX617 into everything so far (except when a different decoder fitting has meant the use of PLUX or 8 Pin), though I will admit that I have had to bend the pins through 90° to get them to fit some Roco models - if you bend them correctly then the decoder is at the roof :)

38 minutes ago, Julia said:

I think 0.5A is a bit low for my use case, (H0e), but for one of my railbuses it looks mighty tempting. 

Have you reason to believe you're pulling 0.5A for those motors ?   Small stuff rarely needs that sort of current, though does depend on the motor in question.     

My experience with CT was that the quoted current handling seemed optimistic (or relied on very good cooling around the decoder), so a 0.75A decoder wouldn't do anything like 0.75, and 0.3 might cause it trouble in many small spaces.    I don't think Zimo is as optimistic, though again, decoders in tight spaces with no ventilation can overheat.   

- Nigel

5 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Have you reason to believe you're pulling 0.5A for those motors ?   Small stuff rarely needs that sort of current, though does depend on the motor in question.     

My experience with CT was that the quoted current handling seemed optimistic (or relied on very good cooling around the decoder), so a 0.75A decoder wouldn't do anything like 0.75, and 0.3 might cause it trouble in many small spaces.    I don't think Zimo is as optimistic, though again, decoders in tight spaces with no ventilation can overheat.   

- Nigel

That is a very good question. Because my H0e is also pulling some HO stock on roll blocks, and my layout allows me to pull upto 1m long trains. So in that respect the loads can be quite high. I've never put a current meter on my layout tho to measure it.

J

Well I decided to order a pair of MX617N decoders. The loco that arrived today I want to run back to back with another loco I already own, and I figure that will be easier if both are identical. Also means I then have a CT decode I can use for future projects. 

Thanks all for the advice. 

J

• Like 1