First efforts at weathering 7mm

Hi Pete, got myself the TR1 and smartjet compressor with the extra handgrip and other bits in a great deal from our club boss, which is an absolute joy to use !!

I've heard that some airbrush purists frown upon the trigger models, but if it gets the finish I'm after, and no stiff finger then I'm happy! biggrin.gif

JB.

I do like that - I take it you're going to pay some attention to the Westinghouse pump and lubricators? They look rather dry at the moment. Perhaps the wagon's underframe could do with some more attention too in terms of colour variation - rust around the spring leaves and brake blocks, and a suggestion of lubrication around the axleboxes, and lever pivots

Assuming the wagon is intended for the post-war period as well, rather that just as a test piece, shouldn't it be carrying the wartime pooling lettering (i.e. giving the owners name and wagon number applied bottom left)? Further to that, the photos I've seen of POs from the period tended to show the lettering in a somewhat more distressed state. these aren't really comments on the weathering - which is excellent so far - of course but are worth remembering.

Adam

Hi Adam, thanks for the comments.

And as you say, everything needs to be 'oiled up' as it were... Westo, valve gear, tender leaf springs and axle boxes etc.. It too needs some drybrushing on pipes, rivet heads, safety valves and whistles. One other thing that I want to do is recreate the streaking on the driving wheels, with a good build of of sticky white congealed oil on the front drivers.. Also I need to create a better feeling of rust coming through the paintwork on the smokebox door.

I have to admit my knowledge on wagons is next to useless at the moment. The Parkend wagon was something I had laying around from my 32mm gauge days about 2 years ago, and it's not really worth converting to scale7, and was just something that I thought I would use as a test bench. But for the future wagons will be weathered fully with peeling paint and rust patches, replaced planks and generally looking pretty terrible ! laugh.gif

I have Martyn Welch's book 'The Art of Weathering' which is really very good. I'll need to take some time out of spraying the stock to work through some lessons he has...

JB.

Hi Adam, thanks for the comments.

And as you say, everything needs to be 'oiled up' as it were... Westo, valve gear, tender leaf springs and axle boxes etc.. It too needs some drybrushing on pipes, rivet heads, safety valves and whistles. One other thing that I want to do is recreate the streaking on the driving wheels, with a good build of of sticky white congealed oil on the front drivers.. Also I need to create a better feeling of rust coming through the paintwork on the smokebox door.

JB,

for weathering locos work from a photo of the same class of loco (Barking Bills site has some good ones), dont just work from memory, or how other people interpret the weathering. Locos weren't all ways as bad as we think they were.

The loco is coming on a treat, a bit more sooty black on the boiler top and wet bits for the oil etc.

I hope this is of some use

OzzyO.

Both items of stock are looking really good. I look forward to seeing the completed loco.

I have yet to delve into the 'black art' wacko.gif of weathering but I can recommend two DVD's that are worth adding to your library. Model Rails 'TheWeathering Expert' with George Dent and 'Right Track 11 - Weathering Techniques' with Tim Shackleton. Both DVD's give ample tips and techniques for weathering locomotives, rolling stock and trackside infrastructure.

All the best

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tony ! biggrin.gif

It's not quite how I wanted it to look, but it was just too much as I wanted it....

Got the J39 and J68 to do next... and then one day, I'll have the L1 to very lightly weather.. if I ever get round to finishing it !

JB.

I don't know if it's just the light, but the wheels don't look oily or gungy enough and the motion doesn't look oily enough either, given the condition that the rest of it is in.

Can't fault the rest of it though!

I'll admit, the light didn't help, but there is still a lot of dry brushing to do on the motion... I need to get some decent brushes before I start that though... my brushes that I have been using on the body are some of those 10 for 50p packet jobbies... laugh.gif

JB.

• 1 month later...

Yes as Pugsley said, poss just a bit more shiny oily black on the wheels other than that the rest is fantastic, love the streaks on the boiler and cylinders, Im looking forward to your next project, keep the pics coming, Andy.

Archived