RMweb

Train-tech signals and DCC concepts points

nhdesigns

I have a traintech four aspect signal with a left hand feather and wanted to know how to go about having the feather controlled seperately. Basically I have two points operated by DDC concepts Cobalt IP slow action point motors and wanted to know if the feather of my signal can be illuminated when the point switches to the left/diverging route and off again in the other way.

Is this possible with one of the cobalt IP slow action point motors? They're DCC operated and the rest of the signal is controlled by heathcote electronics signal controler if this helps as well. 

If it is possible, how do I go about setting up the feather on the point motor itself.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit of a hidden art to get them to work.

I have some SEEP point motors that I want to do the same thing but after slowly looking at each of the connections, I don't think I can make it work.  There must be some way that when the point is thrown one way, it can complete a circuit and light the feather but I think it'll be more of that sort of approach than thinking about drawing some power from the point motor itself.

• RMweb Gold

The feather can be assigned the same accessory address as the point motor, assuming your point motor is also DCC controlled.  I have set up a number of Cobalts and TrainTech signals to work this way without any issue.

• RMweb Gold

An alternative is to set up a dummy point in your DCC controller.  Then program the feather to illuminate when the appropriate route is set using the dummy point address. 

Whenever you set the point to the route that requires the feather, set the dummy point in the controller to this direction.  It just means the process becomes a bit more manual, perhaps too manual?

Steve

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Although a lot of modellers use DCC for their locos but stay with analogue circuitry for points/signalling and other accessories, the other way round is also an option.  If you do that it does simplify wiring to the two wires the salesmen originally tried to push, without the need to resort on larger layouts for additional wiring to create separate power zones, additional overload cutout capability etc.   

• RMweb Gold

I don’t know the heathcote system and so may be talking balderdash here, if so, just ignore me.

If the signal controller can supply enough current, would it be possible to take a second feed from the green LED supply through an auxiliary switch on the point motor to the feather.  That auxiliary switches according to the route set so using the correct connections the feather would only light if the green was on and that route was set.

Interesting.

I wonder if you simply need the feed from the green LED.

While not prototypical, it would make things simpler.

I'll email Heathcote and see if that's potentially possible.

Clive at Heathcote says:

"The polarity of the green is the wrong way round.  But I could easily supply the boards so the feather lights when the green signal is lit.

If you wanted to get accurate operation, you could use the point indicator board, which would be activated by the point motor.  The 'standard' board will work or you could use a microswitch worked by the points tiebar movement"

Link to Board: http://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/point_indicator.html#POINT-INDICATOR-STANDARD - they are around £19.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt