Upottery - Withdrawn

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

I've been meaning to enter the competition for a while, but finding space for a layout has proven more difficult than I thought. I was trawling through Carl Arendt's excellent site, and came across "Wyemouth". This actually bears a fair resemblance to Hemyock, and I have always been attracted to the Culm Valley Light Railway - although my own leanings are towards the Southern.

Having now found a small area of space, I am now going to produce "Upottery", a light railway branch line from Honiton into the Blackdown Hills. I am still a bit uncertain about the scenic treatment, other than obvisouly the station platform at bottom right, with entry from a cassette fiddleyard at centre left.

I've yet decided whether its going to be early 60's with my Hornby M7 taking a Maunsell BTK and a Van 'C' up into the hills, or a bit later with either a Bachmann 25 or Dapol 22 (if they come out soon enough), with a short freight (maybe with stretching things and a bubble car on passenger duties, a la Bridport).

I think I've enough time left, but at least I hope to get something up and running.

post-26-127653684943_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Looks interesting - am a big fan of small layouts and the thought of a 25 shuffling around a few wagons or a bubble car tripping back and forth sounds good. Do you have room for a traverser or add on cassette at the end to organise trains?

• RMweb Gold

Yes a fascinating working steam mill. We used to live about 100 yards from the mill in a little cottage before we moved north. It was always good when they had a working day - the smell of coal, steam and oil was great.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I'm going to have to withdraw from the competition. A combination of some large unexpected dental bills for my wife and myself, and a lack of time over the last few months means there hasnt been any progress on the layout.

I do like the design, and love the setting, so hopefully will get round to building Upottery some day soon.

Archived