Question on Searching for particular posts?

• RMweb Premium

Hi there.  I’m after some advice:

My profile tells me this is apparently my 1,639th post since joining RMWeb on 14th Nov 2018.  I’ve contributed to a number of different Forums dotted around in that time, with some representing a particular area of interest or enquiry.  From time to time I’d like to check back on what I’ve written across all the threads in a given Forum (or find a photo or diagram I posted a while back).  

I thought about searching for myself as Author to look for anything I posted across any thread in a Forum, as I can’t always remember which threads I’ve posted in and it could take a while to look through the index for the “starred” threads, but it doesn’t seem to be an option?  Ideally I’d like to do this at different levels (eg: either “Narrow Gauge Forum” or, one layer down, “Narrow Gauge Modelling”).

I’m probably overlooking something obvious - it wouldn’t be the first time 🙂 - but I’ve not found a way to set up this particular type of search.  Is it possible, or do I need to approach it in a different way? (Maybe I should just write less and model more 😃).  Thanks, Keith.  

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

• RMweb Gold

There are 66 pages of your posts here, if that's what you mean?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/profile/35498-keith-addenbrooke/content/

You can browse it by selecting content type, i.e.  posts, topics etc - but I don't think it's possible by subforum.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Using the Advanced Search it's possible to search for words of three letters or more from specific authors within specific subforums https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/search/

e.g. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/search/&q=The&type=forums_topic&author=Keith Addenbrooke&nodes=318,48&search_and_or=and

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

(or find a photo or diagram I posted a while back).  

While composing a message, if you click “Other Media” and then “insert existing attachment” you will be shown a list of your previously posted photos and diagrams. That list is searchable - it looks for all the file names that contain the string you type anywhere within them. It’s very fast and I’ve found it to be useful several times.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I sometimes need to refer to an old post where the "Content I Posted In" has timed out.   I have had indifferent results when using the search bar here.  I have had more success by using Google and prefixing the search term with "RMweb"

John

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1