A new layout and which OO standards to use.

MJI

• RMweb Premium

I am building a small branch and will have to use hand built track in places.

I will be using whatever flexible code 75 Bull Head I can get, but will have to build the points.

Decided to try Templot as it looks eminently suitable.

Soldering wise I can build Comet carriages, a few loco chassis and I have done a few small kit Diesel shunters.

Plastics wise, semi scratch built DMUs

Not scared of building track. But need to know standards.

Will be mix of RTR and kit, most stock will be on Gibson OO, with a small amount of Bachmann and Dapol locos.

OK SF is a no, as is D0GAF, and Universal too loose, so thinking that BF is basically modern Streamline and I should use BRMSB?

tp.png.eb5c870b92556f18c054767ad89b1660.png

The reason I need to build some track is complex pointwork on one set, but I will start with the simple turnouts.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, MJI said:

most stock will be on Gibson 00, with a small amount of Bachmann and Dapol locos.

Hi Martin,

In that case use 00-SF. It is the only one which will give smooth running with kit wheels (Gibson) and also accept unmodified modern RTR.

For 100% RTR you could also use 00-D0GAI or 00-BF.

Wayne Kinney is using 00-D0GAI for his "Standard 00" FinetraX turnout kits. 00-BF is more tolerant of back-to-back variations on older models. For 00-BF you can use the same check gauges as 00-SF.

00-BRMSB is out-of-date, for legacy "Scale 00" models. It is mid-way between 00-D0GAI and 00-BF.

00/HO is for old Triang and Hornby-Dublo models.

The dreaded 00-D0GAF is just awful, needing RTR to be modified, and making your models non-runnable on other 00 layouts. 

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If you're using narrow tread wheels then OO SF sounds good, the damn things fall in on Code 100 Peco points so I re wheel all my kits with something more meaty   More precision is needed for narrow treads than for wide, especially where the moving and largely unsupported point blades are concerned.   The 16.5mm gauge is a bit nominal, most RTL Flexi  goes tight to gauge when curved and 17/18mm isn't unusual through RTL points.

I would build a couple of turnouts and run trains through them for a while to make sure they work and work reliably before you lay too much.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...