Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2022 - Playtrains

AY Mod

Anyone else remember the range of card kits, in both OO and N scales, that were marketed under the Builder Plus brand?

Thats what came to my mind the instant I saw “Builder+”…

A positive development of the Playtrains range. :)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

I appreciate that, but as a next step, Railroad is pretty uninspiring...

Maybe Hornby need to bring back more of the 'fun' accessories. I think the TPO is still in production - but how about the hopper wagon set or the tipper wagon/conveyor? Or, for that matter, the Lima container crane?

And maybe some Corgi commercial vehicles on MicroScalextric chassis?

• Like 2

On 17/01/2022 at 19:45, RJS1977 said:

Trouble is, all that comes at a price, and that then pushes them out of the reach of some children/parents.

Indeed - the Playtrains Range needs to stay basic & therefore affordable for everyone otherwise the parents on a limited income will just buy the el-cheapo/soon break sets from the £1 type shops.

Why some people seem to have the need to complicate things even for children - adult life will soon enough catapult them into complicated life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Maybe Hornby need to bring back more of the 'fun' accessories.

Maybe the time is ripe for an updated Battle Space Range.

Just wish I could get hold of a "Heavy Duty Ramming Spike". (Promise I wont replace the rubber spike with a nail).

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little puzzled by the Playtrains remote control.

I suspect most people buying into the Playtrain World will have bought the Flash set to start things off. Then some of the track packs to expand, and finally Thunder or Bolt and the wagons for things to be put in. Ok so far, two remote channels so both locos can be controlled independently.

Then a fond Grandparent buys the other goods loco.  Is Hornby expecting one loco to be switched off to disable it while the other two are being played with?

I'd have thought that with three locos on launch, that Hornby would have thought of providing three channels on the remote, or are they expecting interest in Playtrains to run out before a third loco enters the reckoning?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 19/01/2022 at 11:31, SamThomas said:

Indeed - the Playtrains Range needs to stay basic & therefore affordable for everyone otherwise the parents on a limited income will just buy the el-cheapo/soon break sets from the £1 type shops.

Why some people seem to have the need to complicate things even for children - adult life will soon enough catapult them into complicated life.

I'm not talking about the Playtrains range, more the what's the next step?  The full fat Hornby range is too expensive, but Railroad needs more bells and whistles for a child graduating to their first 'real' train set.

23 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

I'm not talking about the Playtrains range, more the what's the next step?  The full fat Hornby range is too expensive, but Railroad needs more bells and whistles for a child graduating to their first 'real' train set.

mid say the intermediate step would be the ‘coca cola’ train set or the like. Still cheap, but a definite step towards the main range. Also useful because the play trains stuff can still be run on it

On 28/01/2022 at 19:37, Edge said:

mid say the intermediate step would be the ‘coca cola’ train set or the like. Still cheap, but a definite step towards the main range. Also useful because the play trains stuff can still be run on it

But still seems a bit of a down grade from playtrains, lights would be a start, 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2022 at 13:18, Hroth said:

I wired up an IR detector to an Arduino Uno over the weekend and found a "sketch" to read whatever it received. The Hornby remote is straightforward, pressing a button produces a stream of codes at about 100/150ms intervals. Releasing the button produces another stream to say that the user has stopped pressing the button. These are different for the A and B channels.

For example:

Stop Button (A)
Button Down     E6041912
Button Up          6E33C266

Stop Button (B)

Button Down     C5A341F9
Button Up          3D7398A5

All buttons generate a "release code", which is 6E33C266 for channel A and 3D7398A5 for channel B. Its possible that after the Hornby receiver registers a code, it doesn't do anything until the release code arrives, a sort of anti-bounce system.

I'll have to find an IR transmitter sketch, to send the codes to Playtrains. With some train detectors* going to the Arduino, it would be possible to automate a Playtrains system...

* Magnets and reed switches, whatever.

Bit of a late reply, mainly because I just bought the set and some track packs for my grandchildren this Easter.

As they are IR so you could simply use any “learning remote TV” controller and use any of the buttons you like.

That’s assuming they are using the same frequency ranges, I don’t see why not TBH, but could be fun if the horn code doubles as the mute button on the TV in the same room!

• Like 2

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, MrTea said:

14140720-9306-4C50-AD8B-84323CA52FEA.jpeg.af12de632c46670f494449d67a93b086.jpeg

Hmm. Maybe not one for the purists eh? 

I got all excited when I saw the post about this, then saw the model.......I bought the little'uns a set for a birthday and I thought they would love a steam outline loco......Hornby....cop out! 😁

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a boxed,as new, set from the bootsale for £5. The seller said the remote did not work. When I got it home the solution was simple, one of the brand new batteries was the wrong way round! Once I set it all up, I was very impressed with the running and the sound features. Lots of fun! I was ready to pooh pooh this set but believe it would be an ideal introduction to model trains, so much so I gave it to a young family member and she loves the station announcements! No issues yet...as an aside, there is ample scope for narrow gauge conversions with the power unit(s), a two car Donegal railcar was my initial thought, but there are probably plenty more!

Just now, 33C said:

I bought a boxed,as new, set from the bootsale for £5.

Bargain! I'd have snapped that up.

1 minute ago, 33C said:

I was ready to pooh pooh this set but believe it would be an ideal introduction to model trains, so much so I gave it to a young family member and she loves the station announcements!

There are cheap track addition packs and extra rolling stock so a "proper" layout can be built using it. It's not just trains thrashing around in circles. That's the key to making it a good introduction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Bargain! I'd have snapped that up.

There are cheap track addition packs and extra rolling stock so a "proper" layout can be built using it. It's not just trains thrashing around in circles. That's the key to making it a good introduction.

I would have agreed, and in fact bought a set for my Grandchildren (they are actually here at the moment) and although they operate well and they are fun for a while the kids get bored quite soon I found, they have preferred my old LGB starter set I dug out two days ago, they keep going back to that and luckily it’s virtually indestructible, I never knew a Stainz could do 90 mph around such a tight curve before 🤣 

I seriously believe the starter set is too “toy like” even for tiny kids, but for sure you and Andy liked them, especially the unboxing 😂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I seriously believe the starter set is too “toy like” even for tiny kids, but for sure you and Andy liked them, especially the unboxing 

My testers enjoyed them. 

Can something be "too toylike" for kids? Even grown up ones? :-)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

The new Playtrains buildings were on show at the weekend. All are due Feb 2023, missing the Christmas market unfortunatly.

web_Playtains Station 3.jpg

Buildings are supplied ready to build. Assembly is quick, at least for a grown-up who has had a station explode in his hands as he carried it to the photo booth. Quick enough that it was back together before the Hornby Team spotted it anyway, so don't tell them!

Web_Playtains Station 2.jpg

Station £9.99

Platform £7.99

Web_Playtains Signal Box.jpg

Signal box £8.99

Web_Playtains Signal Tunnel.jpg

Tunnel £7.99  You can remove the centre section for a narrow version.

And some new rolling stock.

web_Playtains Hopper.jpg

Hopper wagon £8.99

Web_Playtains Signal Car carrier.jpg

Car transporter and ramp £10.99

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

The new Playtrains buildings were on show at the weekend. All are due Feb 2023, missing the Christmas market unfortunatly.

web_Playtains Station 3.jpg

Buildings are supplied ready to build. Assembly is quick, at least for a grown-up who has had a station explode in his hands as he carried it to the photo booth. Quick enough that it was back together before the Hornby Team spotted it anyway, so don't tell them!

Web_Playtains Station 2.jpg

Station £9.99

Platform £7.99

Web_Playtains Signal Box.jpg

Signal box £8.99

Web_Playtains Signal Tunnel.jpg

Tunnel £7.99  You can remove the centre section for a narrow version.

And some new rolling stock.

web_Playtains Hopper.jpg

Hopper wagon £8.99

Web_Playtains Signal Car carrier.jpg

Car transporter and ramp £10.99

That’s good, those hasty cardboard ones are a real pain to assemble and unless glued/sticky taped they also  “explode” after a few minutes, the tabs aren’t up to the job of the cardboard springiness.

I like the look of these buildings and wagon, good value as well TBH and I don’t say this very often but well done Hornby 👍

I could see those buildings being useful outside of the Playtrains range. I have a young nephew and niece who are interested in trains, so I'm tutoring them in the ways of righteousness by donating some of my old "train set" stuff. Some chunky buildings that can take a bit of rough handling would be a nice complement to those. I'd prefer a more subdued colour scheme, but I don't think I'm the target demographic.

• Like 1