Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Newton Regis. Workbench wanderings through the 1920s and 30s the Great Western Way

longchap

1 hour ago, longchap said:

In the workshop, the baby Austin now starts and runs well. On removing the top of the carb and lifting out the float assembly, a Bovrilesque substance filled the space. Certainly cheaper than the current price of Super 98, but nowhere near as combustible.

Job done and just waiting for the new log book with the French registration number, then Mr Toad can play!

1276636226_1907IMG_4753700px.jpg.32ef3ead52a41b9aac23fdc5fa6836c8.jpg

That definitely has the grin factor, even standing still. I'd love an Austin 7 Nippy or a special. Lots of fun when you can feel the rear tyres (and the entire wheel) flexing during spirited cornering!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That definitely has the grin factor, even standing still. I'd love an Austin 7 Nippy or a special. Lots of fun when you can feel the rear tyres (and the entire wheel) flexing during spirited cornering!

Yes, 19’’ wheels and skinny tyres tend do that, aided by a lightweight chassis frame and a sensibly spec’d engine. It’s just not possible to keep a straight face when you go out in it!

Even more fun though, is driving round a closed street circuit with a bunch of other like-minded chaps and ''esses'', such as seems to happen in a couple of places round here.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 13/11/2022 at 22:35, wiggoforgold said:

I don't think that is a Triang Jinty chassis in the U1. I think it's a re -wheeled Hornby Dublo R1 chassis.

On the subject of transfers, I think Railtech are brilliant. As Steve says above, he often turns orders round in under 24 hours.

Alex

That is very definitely a Hornby-Dublo (pre- Ringfield) motor in the H-D class R1 0-6-0T chassis - from when that model was first introduced. Those motors are very good, first appearing in the Bristol Castle model of 1957 (???).

Looking more closely, I don't think that chassis has been rewheeled, my memory say the R1 wheels and crankpin heads looked the same. Although the U1 might need clever attention to the pony truck suspension - is the pivot arm length right (?) - the rest of the mechanism is good and nothing to do with the old Tri-ang Rovex 0-6-0.

While I'm on, I recommend using appropriately sized Roundheaded "Brass" rivets for GWR tank vents. Brass is easier to file / machine than copper which is too soft.

I'm enjoying Bill's postswhich I've only lately come to - keep it up.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chis @Metropolitan H and thank you for your kind comments.

The donor chassis was sourced from a member of my local model railway club a lifetime ago and ran well enough, although the pony truck never really liked going backwards, so the geometry probably was off some. It’s been packed away ever since, until last week and to my surprise ran better than might be expected, so yes, the motor is good.

This loco is a future project, but ultimately, after sourcing more photos, I’ll detail the body (doubtless helped with rivet decals) and replace the chassis to fine scale standards, including that fragile pony truck and run it on DCC. The chassis was going to be an etched unit from Finecast, until Mr Wolf mentioned that a modern standards Jinty might answer, as it did for Rob’s ex MSWJ 0-4-4T. This may be a simpler and certainly cheaper option, so is being investigated.

Thanks too, for the roundhead brass rivet vote, which I’ll follow up soon and will shape them in the lathe.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Finally had time to get at the bench for more than ten minutes. I pulled the body off Number 23 and realized just how much hacking about I have done to alter the wheel arrangement and make it fit.

Fortunately, in The Box of the Dead was an identical chassis liberated from possibly the dodgiest "Thomas" ever.

Which gives me general dimensions thus:

IMG_20221120_125712.jpg.aa4101a72bda53f670674ffef4f03dfe.jpg

This is the unadulterated chassis:

IMG_20221120_125503.jpg.11845c82cc2dc56a2616719db2e01c02.jpg

IMG_20221120_125436.jpg.b4f39d998a69e022c197ec8b84529e7d.jpg

IMG_20221120_125522.jpg.468e6613ddce981eaf8ef8d2aedac3d2.jpg

• Thanks 1

IMG_20221120_125557.jpg.f6a0aabbf448941eadcea89eaad15fa9.jpg

This picture shows how much I cut away from the 0-6-0 chassis to change the wheel arrangement and get it to fit in the printed body. I swapped the rear driving wheels to the centre axle so I have full pickup and also added pickups to the trailing bogie. Quartering the Hornby wheels is simple as they are on splined axles. Top marks for that!

IMG_20221120_125609.jpg.dd2171a09a1992846a8999c0cd66eee2.jpg

IMG_20221120_125614.jpg.bd299300b258c7150b0de9271889bffe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

@MrWolf, thanks for spending more than ten minutes on a valuable Sunday to record and post these details. Thanks to dodgy Thomas too! It looks as if the 3F chassis can be made to fit the U1, the length being the same as my original Triang unit and the width less than the space in the U1’s footplate, so some bracketry in brass will answer well enough.  

The Eastleigh exhibition I’m going to in January has loads of preowned locos for sale and I’d be surprised if I can’t pick one up and test it on  some friendly layout, if not, I’ll resurrect my eBay account and have one delivered to an UK address for when I’m over in March.

I like the work you’ve done to adulterate the chassis for Number 23. Fortunately, I’ll need to be slightly less savage to make room for the rear pony truck, again from brass sheet I think with some lead and / or a phosphor bronze spring up against the chassis underside to keep it on the rails.

There looks to be room above the front wheel for a decoder, if not, it can go in the bunker. It should be an interesting little project.

Cheers

• Like 1

Not a problem, I thought it might save a bit of work if the 3F (and pretty much everything else Hornby made) chassis will do the job. As for your decoder, I found that you can cut away quite a bit of the lug on top of the chassis ahead of the motor, about 7mm IIRC. I did this to create daylight under the boiler and clear the big cylindrical weight I have fitted inside 23's smoke box and boiler forward of the 2nd driving axle.

It shouldn't need it with a spring pony truck, hefty chassis front and weighs in the tanks, but you never know.

The original Tri-ang conversion had the motor in the cab and tended to lift it's front wheels. That was another reason we went so far with the conversion.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A morning out today to a local autojumble with a couple of old car chums provided a new set of tyres and tubes for the Velosolex, plus a lovely old oiler can, while in the car park were these two vehicles:

2087038499_IMG_2562700.jpg.578fe250aadbef9066f3acff664e3f1b.jpg

The BSA was for sale with an AJS and several others and was sold by the time we looked again following visiting the inside exhibition centre stands. Can @MrWolf kindly help identify the model and year please? 350cc?

Then I spied this ruffian:

2072924207_IMG_2564700.jpg.ed7ece98c4d6604da416b0e931157bfa.jpg

1236515414_IMG_2565700.jpg.cfc3fc76b881dc456b1a96f488b49733.jpg

On more familiar territory here, this HY van, some 20 plus years older than my own similar short wheelbase model, while showing delectable signs of being well used, is clearly also maintained, loved and apparently is road legal.

I’ll get back into the railway room tomorrow.

Edited by longchap
  • Like 4

IMG_20210802_132626.jpg.8ee29698708534c0d468cf3da3cc6639.jpg

If it's all original, the BSA is a B31, 350cc of the ZB31 series. It's post 1949 with the plunger rear suspension and the Norton style underslung pilot light below the headlamp should date it to 1951/52. The tank badges and headlamp mounts changed for '53 and they went to a twin shock swinging arm frame for '54.

The one above I sold to a friend a couple of years ago.

Edited by MrWolf
Unreliable internet rage
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Gas Tank Wagons, code name Cordon, Diag DD5; a brief introduction

As I’ve long had a gas tank wagon kit in the stash, being an ideal vehicle to be seen trundling round the system as well as along branch lines, I was always intending to further my knowledge of these interesting vehicles and was prompted to do so sooner, after following @Graham T ‘s kit build on his Chuffnell Regis thread, where Graham’s wagon emerged from a challenging build of an ancient Wills Finecast kit. There doesn’t seem to be a great deal of information on the web about their history and use and my understanding as of yesterday, was these vehicles were used exclusively to refill the gas tanks of coaches and non-passenger coaching stock in locations beyond a supply centre from which gas could be supplied directly to the stock from a pipped system.

I was aware of two basic types until earlier yesterday, the twin tanks which Graham has modelled (diag DD5) and the transverse tank version (DD4) having nine shorter tanks mounted transversely on the chassis in two rows. I then read through the well-illustrated instructions of my own DD5 twin tank Cordon kit by David Geen and soon became a little confused, so finally sought out my copy of M’ssrs Atkins, Beard and Tourret’s GWR Goods Wagons and found Chapter 33 a most interesting and rewarding read.

Among the first things I noticed were the many configurations of gas tank wagons with both longitudinal and transverse mounted tanks numbering 1, 2, 9 and 30 tanks, although 30 tanks were eventually considered to be rather excessive and were gradually rebuilt to the 9 tank transverse DD4 diagram in the early part of last century, this configuration becoming the norm for further wagons. Before this however some Cordons were built on coach subframes and other on wagons, but as my own Cordon kit includes parts to represent most of the twin tank DD5 diagram types, my research has been confined to these, at least for now.

The GWR first used gas lighting for passenger coaches in 1884 for the new London suburban coaches and sometimes there were gasworks close enough to supply pipped gas to the stations or coach sidings to replenish coach tanks through pipelines, this scenario often being modelled.  In other situations, tank wagons were employed to directly supply the stock at stations, etc and became a regular sight in train formations both on the main and branch lines when serving outlying locations and were often parked up at the end of a siding until needing regular replenishment from the supply centre, such as a GWR or private gasworks.

Diagram DD5 numbered 17 vehicles Nos 1 to 17, none of which were identical at any one time. This was mainly due to different brake systems having been fitted, with most of the wagons having between 2 and 5 different types of braking during their service. Cordons had a long life from 1883 through to at least 1960 (records ceased in 1961) and they had a range of brake arrangements, making modelling certain particular prototypes a little challenging. The two tanks were of riveted construction by the locomotive department and often favoured used coach underframes, although wagon frames were also used.

The David Geen kit comprises sufficient brake components to model all but one of the 17 DD5s and as I have several photos of No9, built in 1888 and with the additional interest of a pillar brake column, I’m minded to build it. As I also like weathering, No9 would have looked delightfully well used up to the time it had new larger tanks fitted in 1935.

Original grease axleboxes were all replaced by oil boxes by the late 1890s and all seemed to run on 3’6’ coach wheels, although No 6 was apparently once seen with 3’0’’ wagon wheels!  

131349944_IMG_2595700.jpg.80288d3279e1c9d415a01b258473b79c.jpg

Photo of part of my David Geen instructions and a page from GWR Goods Wagons, by Atkins, Beard and Tourret included for education and instruction purposes only

Gas was stored at a pressure of 140psi and livery was always black with the number either on the right or centre panel and the GW lettering between the two straps, but on the outermost panels. The solebars were so well weathered that I cannot clearly detect wagon of tare numbers there on any photographs available to me.

Someone asked about supplying station lighting, which would always have used town gas where available, otherwise by the existing oil lamps until town gas, but more likely when electrical power became available. Exceptions of course will often be found, so don’t shoot the messenger.

I’m still forcing myself to do a little more layout wiring most days, but think the DD5 will soon make its first appearance on the workbench.

Edited by longchap
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A mild and now sunny day here and an impromptu evening round our kitchen table with friends last night has prompted us to keep the roast beef joint in the fridge until tomorrow and trot along to their gaff for a Christmas Day barbeque! Well that's a first and we couldn't think why not, so just off to sort the drinks trolley and get dressed.

I hope the day releases joy and contentment to all.

Peace

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, longchap said:

A mild and now sunny day here and an impromptu evening round our kitchen table with friends last night has prompted us to keep the roast beef joint in the fridge until tomorrow and trot along to their gaff for a Christmas Day barbeque! Well that's a first and we couldn't think why not, so just off to sort the drinks trolley and get dressed.

I hope the day releases joy and contentment to all.

Peace

Merry Boxing Day Bill.

It was a balmy 25 degrees in the shade yesterday afternoon and we could easily have eat Christmas lunch on the terrace.

Hope you enjoyed the BBQ and the weather held up for you.

Have a good day today.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2022 at 14:58, longchap said:

Gas Tank Wagons, code name Cordon, Diag DD5; a brief introduction

As I’ve long had a gas tank wagon kit in the stash, being an ideal vehicle to be seen trundling round the system as well as along branch lines, I was always intending to further my knowledge of these interesting vehicles and was prompted to do so sooner, after following @Graham T ‘s kit build on his Chuffnell Regis thread, where Graham’s wagon emerged from a challenging build of an ancient Wills Finecast kit. There doesn’t seem to be a great deal of information on the web about their history and use and my understanding as of yesterday, was these vehicles were used exclusively to refill the gas tanks of coaches and non-passenger coaching stock in locations beyond a supply centre from which gas could be supplied directly to the stock from a pipped system.

I was aware of two basic types until earlier yesterday, the twin tanks which Graham has modelled (diag DD5) and the transverse tank version (DD4) having nine shorter tanks mounted transversely on the chassis in two rows. I then read through the well-illustrated instructions of my own DD5 twin tank Cordon kit by David Geen and soon became a little confused, so finally sought out my copy of M’ssrs Atkins, Beard and Tourret’s GWR Goods Wagons and found Chapter 33 a most interesting and rewarding read.

Among the first things I noticed were the many configurations of gas tank wagons with both longitudinal and transverse mounted tanks numbering 1, 2, 9 and 30 tanks, although 30 tanks were eventually considered to be rather excessive and were gradually rebuilt to the 9 tank transverse DD4 diagram in the early part of last century, this configuration becoming the norm for further wagons. Before this however some Cordons were built on coach subframes and other on wagons, but as my own Cordon kit includes parts to represent most of the twin tank DD5 diagram types, my research has been confined to these, at least for now.

The GWR first used gas lighting for passenger coaches in 1884 for the new London suburban coaches and sometimes there were gasworks close enough to supply pipped gas to the stations or coach sidings to replenish coach tanks through pipelines, this scenario often being modelled.  In other situations, tank wagons were employed to directly supply the stock at stations, etc and became a regular sight in train formations both on the main and branch lines when serving outlying locations and were often parked up at the end of a siding until needing regular replenishment from the supply centre, such as a GWR or private gasworks.

Diagram DD5 numbered 17 vehicles Nos 1 to 17, none of which were identical at any one time. This was mainly due to different brake systems having been fitted, with most of the wagons having between 2 and 5 different types of braking during their service. Cordons had a long life from 1883 through to at least 1960 (records ceased in 1961) and they had a range of brake arrangements, making modelling certain particular prototypes a little challenging. The two tanks were of riveted construction by the locomotive department and often favoured used coach underframes, although wagon frames were also used.

The David Geen kit comprises sufficient brake components to model all but one of the 17 DD5s and as I have several photos of No9, built in 1888 and with the additional interest of a pillar brake column, I’m minded to build it. As I also like weathering, No9 would have looked delightfully well used up to the time it had new larger tanks fitted in 1935.

Original grease axleboxes were all replaced by oil boxes by the late 1890s and all seemed to run on 3’6’ coach wheels, although No 6 was apparently once seen with 3’0’’ wagon wheels!  

131349944_IMG_2595700.jpg.80288d3279e1c9d415a01b258473b79c.jpg

Photo of part of my David Geen instructions and a page from GWR Goods Wagons, by Atkins, Beard and Tourret included for education and instruction purposes only

Gas was stored at a pressure of 140psi and livery was always black with the number either on the right or centre panel and the GW lettering between the two straps, but on the outermost panels. The solebars were so well weathered that I cannot clearly detect wagon of tare numbers there on any photographs available to me.

Someone asked about supplying station lighting, which would always have used town gas where available, otherwise by the existing oil lamps until town gas, but more likely when electrical power became available. Exceptions of course will often be found, so don’t shoot the messenger.

I’m still forcing myself to do a little more layout wiring most days, but think the DD5 will soon make its first appearance on the workbench.

Only just found you thread. Panniers and Austins - great taste!

The Cordon looks like an interesting project. I've always liked them when they crop up in photos but have never really investigated them. The David Geen kit must be hard to come by now, you're lucky to have one. I see what you mean about the weathered look, a rustic and workmanlike wagon.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Driver insertion into Oxford Diecast motor car

Seeing @MrWolf ‘s recent open heart surgery on his Austin 7, I was reminded of my own escapade getting a driver into the same vehicle, so thought I’d share the story of Mr Creosote and Helga.

I’ve been full of admiration for many of Oxford Diecast's offerings in 1:76 scale road vehicles, but not the fact that like so many locos, they are driverless. I thought this would be an easy fix, particularly for open vehicles, but was pondering how to break into a closed variant and so took one recent acquisition from its box and took a peek.

1663867147_IMG_0484resize750.jpg.97fa66de7a1efaa7a7fc851bc04fb607.jpg

The first thing one notices with a model of such a diminutive prototype as an Austin 7, is just how tiny the little blighter is at 4mm! Removing the screw on the underside enables much waggling and just a little wiggling to take place and the car is soon rendered down to the main sub-assemblies above. So far, nice and easy, but now the thinking cap is required. The interior module can only be pushed up from below, so logic dictates that the roof should be removable.

1921784015_IMG_0483resize750.jpg.73556d8cb9dc2e11e0801066dd9ea86d.jpg

Close examination and gentle probing suggested a possible joint at waist level. On turning the tub upside down and applying gentle downward pressure on the exposed edges of the glazing with a suitable small tool, the roof section is released, the interior module is separated by drilling out the plastic lug at the rear and there you have it:

1402804802_IMG_0486._750.jpg.75cf3a8139000806a6d3ddf85a329836.jpg

Next is the selection of a driver and other passengers, baggage, etc as may be desired, so naturally I started with an Airfix 4mm railway figure:

1029237335_IMG_0487resize750pix.jpg.8ea22a38da804d131633abc6dae1835b.jpg

Unfortunately, Mr Creosote has eaten all the pies, fortunately stopping short at a wafer thin mint, so he caught the bus, while I delved into the spares box to discover a box of Fleischmann HO seated figures and selected the thinnest one in a reasonable driving pose.

1731635099_IMG_0498resize750pix.jpg.91f6033a48c1cff2cfd41fea5ce4a8b3.jpg

Just some leg removal, painting and lippy necessary to get Helga at the controls.

2347228_IMG_0504resize750pix.jpg.f9fe8cf5ea816786af367ce3b61effda.jpg

I also gave the inside of the roof a coat of white in the hope to maximise reflection of any available light, then in the time honoured way of Haynes’ manuals, reversed the disassembly process to put everything back together again.

968964964_IMG_0529resize750pix.jpg.982b49fb574852b3e8b8dfeb3ea16618.jpg

Now this is how they should be sold, but there again, some cars would be posed parked up and we'd have to figure how to get the occupants out!

Edited by longchap
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 2

Cracking job Bill, I'm flattered to have been some kind of inspiration too. I left my interior as dark blue, but I do like the tan Rexine look you've given yours. I couldn't believe Oxford had fitted a gear lever to such a tiny model either.

Helga doesn't look crammed in or out of scale, she must be waiting at the level crossing or waiting to pick someone up from the station?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Helga doesn't look crammed in or out of scale, she must be waiting at the level crossing or waiting to pick someone up from the station?

.  .  .  .  .  Helga touches up her lip rouge and applies some perfume, as she has a rendezvous with a man from the motor trade, as she fancies a topless sporty number.

Whatever will the blonde bombshell get up to next?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

The Chummy version had loads of room for 5! I have just been chopping down Mr. & Mrs. Airfix to fit in an open top Varney diecast Morris 8 that I recently acquired from a second hand shop. Not ready to show-and-tell just yet.

Elsie and children Blackpool 1925.jpg

Howard Elsie & Muriel in their Austin Chummy c 1923.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I like that, first year of production and quite different to later models. I learned to drive around a neighbour's garden in a 1929 tourer identical to the one below in about 1984.

48381388911_258afaedee_b.jpg.e773ffeb54c6ebe1a9a6eb3715e058ed.jpg

I'll be interested in seeing progress on the Morris, I've got an Oxford Morris 8 Series E tourer that just about fits my time period, being launched October 1938 and you've got me thinking about loading it up. 

Needs a suitcase (brown cardboard, naturally) chucking in the back seat!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Charming Chummy photos Phil of 1920s family life in the country’s first affordable mass produced car. They are extremely interesting to drive and the sports models can easily get very worrying exciting above the 45mph maximum of the four seat saloons. A gaggle of them take part in our village's annual 'demonstration' closed road circuit meeting in the summer.

Hope the surgery goes well with the Airfix's and they sit comfortably in the Morris 8. My dad's first car was a '49 Morris 8, bought and sold for £4 and did the rounds in our Devon village for those needing to learn to drive.

Bill

• Like 4