Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Christmas Carol Game

whart57

I'm getting addicted to the Song Title Game, so I thought a Christmas variant might be in order to take us over the festive season. Play is similar to the Song Title Game but with a Christmas slant:

1. Enter the title or a line from a Christmas Carol or popular Christmas song using one of the words from the previous entry. To qualify a song must either mention Christmas somewhere in the lyrics or one or more characters from the Nativity. Only it must be the Mary or Joseph, not any Mary or Joseph.
  2. To make it a little more challenging you can't use the words "the", "a" or "an", "and" or "of" to make your connection.
  3. If things get stuck it is permissible to enter the next line of the carol or song to free things up after an hour or two.
  4. As this is only intended to live for a short while repeated entries earn a :tongueclear:

I'll start with the line everyone is wanting to put in:

You scumbag, you maggot, You cheap, lousy              Fairytale of New York

OK, a bit tricky, so let's really start with the last line of the chorus:

And the bells are ringing out for Christmas day                       Fairytale of New York

All this night bright angels sing

Words: adapted from a poem by William Austin; Music: Arthur S. Sullivan, J. T. Field, F. Fruttchey; Published: Carols Old and Carols New (1916)

Okay, not exactly well known and not one of the catchier tunes out there, but opens up the chain a bit for the next entry!

Merry Christmas, folks!

Steve S

53 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Why should men on earth be so sad?  - The Sussex carol

Played the tune hundreds of times in my brass band playing days, never knew the words though

Carrying on:

Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;            --     Christina Rosetti's words for In the Bleak Midwinter

(For the record I prefer the Gustav Holst setting)