GT3 and DCC

sej

Hi, I have just received my rather beautiful brown GT3 with DCC sound. Unfortunately it is completely unresponsive to my NCC powercab system, neither movement nor sound. It doesn't respond to 0003 or 0000 as an address. Other locos are fine.

As a comparative novice with DCC could anyone offer any suggestions as to what is happening?

I have emailed KRModels about it but I'm impatient to hear the whooshing noises!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

May be stating the obvious, but if I recall correctly, (at least on some DCC systems), any number beginning with a zero (0) is not recognised. As you specifically said 0003, I just wonder if you’d simply tried 3.

Bingo! 3 worked, thankyou very much ITG! Now all I have to do is work out how to lower the volume of the whooshing noises. Interestingly it doesn't appear to be fitted with a stay-alive, has anyone tried this?

Cheers

Simon

On a PowerCab, 0003 and 3 are different addresses.   3 is a short address, 0003 is a long address.   

Volume, presumably in the documentation with the loco, telling you which decoder is fitted and how to change things ? 

Stay-alive will follow from the decoder maker's documentation.   

KR Models website says its an ESU LokSound V5, the instructions for which are on ESU's website, www.ESU.eu, and likely to be somewhat intimidating to follow (though they are thorough once you start to understand them).   

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sej said:

Bingo! 3 worked, thankyou very much ITG! Now all I have to do is work out how to lower the volume of the whooshing noises. Interestingly it doesn't appear to be fitted with a stay-alive, has anyone tried this?

Cheers

Simon

Glad it helped. As for stay-alive, whilst I don’t know this loco at all, it looks to have a reasonable size wheel base, with (I assume) pick-ups across more than one set of wheels. Does your question imply it stalls on some sections of track? Short wheel bases or insufficient pick-ups can be likely causes in locos, but track problems are equally likely. Do all your other locos run ok where the GT3 doesn’t?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I've got hefty stay-alives in such things as an LNER F4 2-4-2 tank in P4 with pickup on the 4 driving wheels. That works fine and I can judge the strength of the stay-alive by the many long seconds of sound before cut-off when picking the loco up from the track!

The GT3 is on an admittedly grubby 00 test track and the sound cuts off as soon as the loco reaches a dirty spot or is picked up. I've just watched some YouTube reviews and apparently the tender picks up through the bearings on all wheels, with wire pickups on two of the drivers. I shall make a better job of cleaning the test track but I do like a bit of stay-alive!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, sej said:

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I've got hefty stay-alives in such things as an LNER F4 2-4-2 tank in P4 with pickup on the 4 driving wheels. That works fine and I can judge the strength of the stay-alive by the many long seconds of sound before cut-off when picking the loco up from the track!

The GT3 is on an admittedly grubby 00 test track and the sound cuts off as soon as the loco reaches a dirty spot or is picked up. I've just watched some YouTube reviews and apparently the tender picks up through the bearings on all wheels, with wire pickups on two of the drivers. I shall make a better job of cleaning the test track but I do like a bit of stay-alive!

Cheers

Simon

With that number of pickups, it should be OK on grubby track, problem is once you run on grubby track, the wheels get coated with some of the crud and eventually - no contact.