Options for a 4mm Large Metro?

Hi all,

I have a modest little layout based on the Fairford branch, currently stocked mainly with rtr stock to depict the branch in the '50s. As I build up my modelling skills, I'm beginning to work to backdate it to the 1920-30s era. As such I'll definitely need a Large Metro tank as these were the staple passenger motive power during this period. 

So...

Any thoughts on what my options are for kitbuilding/ kit bashing one?

Thanks!

Will

I think you're down to scratchbuilding.

As far as I know the only Metros available are the SE Finecast kit and the Roxey kit, which I believe are both Medium Metros (The SEF may be a Small, they are confusing).

White metal or brass depending on preference.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Locomotives/New and Revised Loco Kits Page 5.htm

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/296/4l7-gwr-medium-metro-2-4-0t/

ISTR that Roxey planned a Large Metro but it never appeared.

Jason

Hello Will,

Whilst I am happy to be corrected I am not aware of any " Large" Metro Classes being used on the Fairford branch. I believe the GWR used a 517 Class or similar smaller tank engines. Unfortunately I don't have my book to hand so I can't refer. 

Do you have a specific loco / loco number for reference to help with your question ? 

The larger Metros were generally found around the London area to my knowledge. 

The link to a kit from Phoenix paints I think may well be the ex-Malcolm Mitchell range rebranded. If so then these kits were very good and with lots of variations for building them, if you enjoy soldering brass kits then you would be fine with these. Maybe a quick chat with Phoenix would be useful ?

G

2 hours ago, bgman said:

Hello Will,

Whilst I am happy to be corrected I am not aware of any " Large" Metro Classes being used on the Fairford branch. I believe the GWR used a 517 Class or similar smaller tank engines. Unfortunately I don't have my book to hand so I can't refer. 

Do you have a specific loco / loco number for reference to help with your question ? 

The larger Metros were generally found around the London area to my knowledge. 

The link to a kit from Phoenix paints I think may well be the ex-Malcolm Mitchell range rebranded. If so then these kits were very good and with lots of variations for building them, if you enjoy soldering brass kits then you would be fine with these. Maybe a quick chat with Phoenix would be useful ?

G

The Phoenix kits are resin with cast parts. They're the old Dean Sidings kits made to fit RTR chassis.

I don't have any experience of them as my experiences with resin over the years wasn't good. However that was over thirty years ago and things have changed.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Phoenix kits are resin with cast parts. They're the old Dean Sidings kits made to fit RTR chassis.

I don't have any experience of them as my experiences with resin over the years wasn't good. However that was over thirty years ago and things have changed.

Jason

Thank you Jason I stand corrected very much obliged and helpful. 

G

Thanks for the suggestions. Confirms what I suspected!

By the way, there's a few images of large Metros on the Fairford branch, they seem to have been there in the '30s and right up to the final withdrawals of the class early postwar. There's an excellent portrait of 3568 on the GWR "beginners guide" page here: http://www.gwr.org.uk/no4-coup-tanks.html

Will

• Agree 1