Guidance for painting a small 009 loco please.

Penrice09

I would like some guidance as to the best way to paint a small 009 locomotive kit that have nearly built.

Should I glue footplate + cab + boiler all together and paint?
Or should I spray paint all items individually, if so what is the best glue to put them all together without the glue showing?

Thanks for any help

4 hours ago, Penrice09 said:

I would like some guidance as to the best way to paint a small 009 locomotive kit that have nearly built.

Should I glue footplate + cab + boiler all together and paint?
Or should I spray paint all items individually, if so what is the best glue to put them all together without the glue showing?

Thanks for any help

I should think that painting them after sticking together is best - it usually is, especially if you intend it to mostly be the same colour. What materials is the loco made from and is it a kit, scratchbuilt, a bit of both?

I generally find painting in one piece is fine, except for a few small details that are sometimes best left off until later.

I prefer to paint assembled 'sub-units' such as the boiler, (or bonnet on a diesel) and cab separately. Do use a suitable primer. As above, paint the cab roof separately before fitting to the cab so the cab interior can be accessed for final finishing. Yellow wasp stripe buffer beams are easiest pre-painted before fitting to the footplate ends. Once all paintwork is dry I use 2 part clear epoxy to assemble larger components (e.g cab to footplate etc.). Smaller details are ok assembled using superglue. Good luck with the build.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer a spray can of medium grey enamel.  This tends to be flat or semi-flat.  Unless your top coat is going to be white it will be good for red, green, brown and even black.  I like to then brush paint acrylic, probably two or three coats.

• Informative/Useful 1