Drop head buck eye couplings.

ozzyo

If this project is one on your list, or you have a pre-order with us, we will be taking all of our current samples to display this weekend at Guildex (Stafford Show Ground) 

Come along and ask the team for the latest info and updates on this and our other ECT projects!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2022 at 16:03, ozzyo said:

Do you have any updates on the drophead buckeye coupling as one of the last posts that mentioned it was round about 11/8/22

OzzyO.

Good evening OzzyO,

The good news is they have been bumped up the production schedule as they are now going to be supplied Fitted to the next batches of Darstaed Thompson's instead of the Kadees.

I will double check but I belive they are due to come into stock around the end of this month but as this gets confirmed I will pop back on here with a definitive answer 

On 12/08/2022 at 15:53, Chris-ECT said:

This is something we looked at but if I am correct Kadee have patented their design, with this the main feature of our Buckeyes is the drophead feature, we are still looking into future options

Kadee's patent on the Magnematic  coupler ran out some years ago which is why clones such as McHenry and Bachman Ezimates are now around. Though Kadee's actual designs will be registered these clone couplers work on the same principle and are compatible with Kadees in terms of the actual coupler head and the position of the trip pin. However, for a 4mm scale drophead coupler the height above rail of the head itself will be greater as the height set for Kadees is  based on the height of a standard American coupler head in HO scale (it's actually an NMRA standard and based on the AAR's prototype standard height which is  lower than a European buffer beam)   so you'd need a longer trip pin to use the magnets designed for Kadees and their clones. 

Edited by Pacific231G
clarity
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Kadee's patent on the Magnematic  coupler ran out some years ago which is why clones such as McHenry and Bachman Ezimates are now around. Though their actual designs will be registered these couplers work on the same principle and are compatible with Kadees in terms of the actual coupler head and the position of the trip pin. for a 4mm scale drophead coupler the height above rail of the drophead itself will though be greater as that for Kadees are based on the height of a standard American coupler head in H0 scale (it's actually an NMRA standard and based on the AAR's standard prototype height which is  lower than a European buffer beam)   so you'd need a longer trip pin to use the magnets designed for Kadees and their clones. 

Interesting info.
Longer trip pin not a problem for me and style of installation would solve so many problems. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

spotted this on the ECT website now to get the card full of money.

ECT Drophead Buckeyes now in Stock! (mailchi.mp)

ATB

OzzyO.

PS. sorry about this but I can't past the direct link to the news page on ECTs.

Edited by ozzyo

12 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Whaaaat??!!! Does this mean Ozzyo didn't get his first?? 😱🤣🤣🤣😉😉

No I had to fill up my card (I begged, borrowed and stole to get the money [I did not revert to mugging]) as my pension is not due till the end of the month, but with a bit of luck I'll get them today or Monday and show them fitted to my Pos that I'm building from a J.L.T.R.T. kit.

ATB

OzzyO. 😭😭  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, two tone green said:

And very nice they are. 

Just need the extended trip pin version for uncoupling with Kadee couplings.  Please 😀

2E50F3BB-DC99-4ADF-A0F0-11075C1465E6.jpeg

Forget the trip pin it will look daft and or get in the way when the buckeye is in the dropped position. Also, how often do you shunt coaches? I want them so I can change the front or rear coaches in a rake.

ATB

OzzyO.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ozzyo said:

Forget the trip pin it will look daft and or get in the way when the buckeye is in the dropped position. Also, how often do you shunt coaches? I want them so I can change the front or rear coaches in a rake.

ATB

OzzyO.  

Don’t tell anyone but I use Kadee couplings on  all my stock, wagons, coaches and locos. 🤫

Shunting without the hand of god is a pleasure. Dropping the heads is not something I am interested in so the trip pin is not a problem. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/11/2022 at 16:09, two tone green said:

Dropping the heads is not something I am interested in so the trip pin is not a problem. 

Been puzzling over this for a few days. If you dont need the drop feature, which I thought was the whole point of the new ones, why not just stick with kadees?

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Been puzzling over this for a few days. If you dont need the drop feature, which I thought was the whole point of the new ones, why not just stick with kadees?

It’s the hook fitting that fits into the buffer beam.
So for a non drop head with trip pin would only need the portion of the hook that slides into the buffer beam. 

Kadee don’t make one 😔

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, two tone green said:

It’s the hook fitting that fits into the buffer beam.
So for a non drop head with trip pin would only need the portion of the hook that slides into the buffer beam. 

Kadee don’t make one 😔

They never will as their head and its pin is designed to be at the NMRA standard HO height of 0.391" which is more or less* the prototype height of 33" for American rolling stock. Even in H0 and certainly in 4mm scale that's much lower than the 1054 mm (41.5") centre height of a European buffer beam. 

* the prototype height is 33" + or - 1.5" (to allow for the difference between an empty and a fully loaded car). If you want to be really pedantic the NMRA HO coupler head height of 0.391" scales to 34" so relates to an empty car. Freight trains on model RRs are notoriously unprofitable 😆

4 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

They never will as their head and its pin is designed to be at the NMRA standard HO height of 0.391" which is more or less* the prototype height of 33" for American rolling stock. Even in H0 and certainly in 4mm scale that's much lower than the 1054 mm (41.5") centre height of a European buffer beam. 

* the prototype height is 33" + or - 1.5" (to allow for the difference between an empty and a fully loaded car). If you want to be really pedantic the NMRA HO coupler head height of 0.391" scales to 34" so relates to an empty car. Freight trains on model RRs are notoriously unprofitable 😆

Yep, not holding my breath at all for one from Kadee. 

But from EC, fingers crossed. 

15 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Good job didn't suggest air train pipe! Goodness me what would you of suggested 😉

It could have been blow you sir. As in a raspberry 

Coat and hat on and the door closed behind me, and I heard the locks been thrown.

OzzyO. 

Edited by ozzyo
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just got my dropheads from Ellis Clark Trains. 

A sort of mini review, the size is to my eyes just about spot on. 

On the first one I tried to drop it was a bit hard (not because of the instructions) but I think a bit of moulding flash in the drop head. But after I gave a bit of a wiggle it worked.

The springing for the opening jaw is not on view.

Score 9/10.

Will I buy more YES.

A photo showing the ECT coupling and a Kadee #805.

IMG_8379.JPG.11780762a39c9bf920ebff41f407f14f.JPG

ATB

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/11/2022 at 13:54, Ellis Clark Trains said:

Good afternoon,

Hope you're all keeping well!

Good news - our Working Drophead Buckeye Couplings are now in stock and live on the website.

You can read all about them/watch a little demo video on our website, or by clicking HERE.

All the best,
Ellis.

A gentle nudge on demonstrating uncoupling (what's that tiny pin on the underside for?) thank you.

1 hour ago, ozzyo said:

Just got my dropheads from Ellis Clark Trains. 

A sort of mini review, the size is to my eyes just about spot on. 

On the first one I tried to drop it was a bit hard (not because of the instructions) but I think a bit of moulding flash in the drop head. But after I gave a bit of a wiggle it worked.

The springing for the opening jaw is not on view.

Score 9/10.

Will I buy more YES.

A photo showing the ECT coupling and a Kadee #805.

IMG_8379.JPG.11780762a39c9bf920ebff41f407f14f.JPG

ATB

OzzyO.

They do say they can be a bit stiff on first usage.