RMweb

Eastleght stem scrapyard

J.M

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, J.M said:

Yes..., But i was ask what happened to the Locomotives. Not wich were scrapped

They were scrapped, or preserved.

You've got yourself a dire reception within a few hours. Please stop wasting people's time when you can go and do some research yourself.

4 hours ago, J.M said:

Hi there,

Does Someone know what happened to all Steam Locomotives scrapped at Eastleigh? If so can you please Tell me? I really want to find out what happened.

Like others, I don't understand your question.  If a steam locomotive is scrapped, anything of value that could potentially be sold would be removed and what is left will have been cut up on site and crushed in the same way as scrap dealers crush cars on a regular basis.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

There were no locomotives scrapped at Eastleigh.  Locomotives withdrawn from service there were put out to tender for acquistion by scrap dealers all over the country, and delivered to them  by rail for cutting up, and the metals weighed and sold to steelworks to be melted down and re-cast into ingots of new steel.  Some of Eastleigh's locos, along with others from the Southern Region, went to Woodham's scrapyard at Barry, and because locomotives were more work to scrap than the numerous wagons he also bought from BR, and he had the space to keep them, he kept them as a reserve to keep his men employed and his business going if the supply of wagons dried up, but it never really did. 

This was unusual and only possible because of the space he had available, six long sidings rented from BR.  At other scrapyards, locos were cut up as soon as they arrived in order to make room for more.  The result was that by the early 70s Woodham's had the largest collection of main line steam locomotives in the country, about 250 of them, and as this was the time that the preservation movement was establishing itself, a great many of the locomotives used on main line railtours and heritage railways were acquired from Dai Woodham, who sold them at scrap value by weight.

To sum up, any locomotive that was scrapped ceased to exist within a very few days of arriving at the scrapyard,  They were cut up with oxy-acetylene torches and reduced to small lumps of metal that were weighed and delivered to steelworks for melting down into new steel.  At Woodham's, the locos were not cut up, or at least only a fairly small number were, and remained extant in a scrapped condition for many years; eventually, all that were not cut up were bought for preservation or as parts donors for preservation projects. 

I hope this clarifies the matter for you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Like others, I don't understand your question.  If a steam locomotive is scrapped, anything of value that could potentially be sold would be removed and what is left will have been cut up on site and crushed in the same way as scrap dealers crush cars on a regular basis.

A steam locomotive crusher would be an impressive piece of engineering.

As explained by The Johnster the locos that were scrapped would have been cut up into small lumps rather than being crushed.

Cheers

Darius

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

There were no locomotives scrapped at Eastleigh.  Locomotives withdrawn from service there were put out to tender for acquisition by scrap dealers all over the country, and delivered to them  by rail for cutting up, and the metals weighed and sold to steelworks to be melted down and re-cast into ingots of new steel.  Some of Eastleigh's locos, along with others from the Southern Region, went to Woodham's scrapyard at Barry, and because locomotives were more work to scrap than the numerous wagons he also bought from BR, and he had the space to keep them, he kept them as a reserve to keep his men employed and his business going if the supply of wagons dried up, but it never really did. 

This may have been true at the end of steam on the Southern, when the loco depots were cleared of their allocations, but Eastleigh Works scrapped hundreds of locos in its lifetime as this photo from the Verrall collections suggests.

Withdrawn locomotives at Eastleigh waiting scrap c1945

Bradley (RCTS books) notes that the majority of the stylish LBSC K Class 2-6-0's met their untimely end at Eastleigh in 1963, after bulk withdrawal of the class at the end of 1962, for accountancy reasons, along with many other classes, including Bulleid Q1 locos https://www.whatreallyhappenedtosteam.co.uk/pdf/WRHTS-Railway-Magazine-article-November-2009.pdf

• Like 2

13 hours ago, J.M said:

Hi there,

Does Someone know what happened to all Steam Locomotives scrapped at eastleight? If so can you please Tell me? I realy want to find out what happened.

Your question is extremely 'non-specific' or lacks accuracy, and as such members are unable to accurately provide the information you seek..

If they were 'scrapped' at Eastleigh, then they were cut up and reduced to manageable pieces, then those pieces were most likely sold - albeit, some non-ferrous parts may have been put to one side, and reused.

Other withdrawn locomotives stored at Eastleigh were sold for scrap, and moved on to private scrapyards, mainly (but not solely) in South Wales where they were seen off, or some later resold and preserved..

If you want to find out details of individual locomotives, try the What Really Happened to Steam / Engine Shed Society website(s).

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've got the Ian Allen book on Eastleigh (not to hand tho) which has some photos of what look like withdrawn locos but include the Beattie Well tank, which went back to Wadebridge after the reported date. I don't know how long it took to look shabby sat outside.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, J.M said:

This is what i mean

Then the answer is relatively simple although it will mean you having to do some research to find it.   The best bets are the various links which have already been given in this thread but the other way is to start from the opposite end and assemble for yourself a list of preserved ex SR locos (and BR Standards).  Having done that you can use the various references given above to see if they were withdrawn at Eastleigh logically starting with Southern Region locos as most of them were probably withdrawn by the SR and some might have been withdrawn at Eastleigh.  By far the easiest way to tackle it is from current lists of preserved/under restoration etc locos then find out where they were withdrawn from.

But this raises another question where you need to be sure of what you are asking.  Do you want to know about locos which were taken to Eastleigh and withdrawn/condemned there, or are you asking about locos which were taken to Eastleigh after being condemned elsewhere and then sold, or are you asking about locos withdrawn from Eastleigh shed and disposed of from there?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/12/2021 at 20:36, stewartingram said:

.110821278_02_110_1000_3006834011Eastleigh03-04-1964.jpg.710cf8dc74c8b8480c2d394ba0691e77.jpg1283532410_02_001_1016_35004Easleighmpd05-02-1966.jpg.51cf6060f35ef4703c263e920ca8c5e2.jpg

They certainly were scrapped at Eastleigh. Film was expensive (for a lad at school) but here are 2 examples I took, there were a large number of locos being scrapped at the time I was there.

You was there?