Evercreech Jcn water column

At Evercreech Junction, south of the level-crossing and roughly opposite the water tower, there was a water column on the UP side of the line just in rear of the Evercreech Jcn South Up Home signal (no 21).

But for what reasons/purposes exactly was this provided? After all, it was not a location at which a train or engine would normally be standing for any length of time.

• RMweb Premium

Could it be in circumstances if the train was going to stand for a period of time and there were Up trains due that the pilot could uncouple, run forwaxrd to that column and stand whilst Up trains passed before moving over. I have always wondered though too.

6 hours ago, RailWest said:

At Evercreech Junction, south of the level-crossing and roughly opposite the water tower, there was a water column on the UP side of the line just in rear of the Evercreech Jcn South Up Home signal (no 21).

But for what reasons/purposes exactly was this provided? After all, it was not a location at which a train or engine would normally be standing for any length of time.

Without research, I am hazy on the orientation of EJ, but I do know that the location in question was close to the level crossing.

As all trains watered at EJ, could the watering column have allowed long trains to fill their loco tanks without blocking the crossing?

CJI.

6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

As all trains watered at EJ, could the watering column have allowed long trains to fill their loco tanks without blocking the crossing?

CJI.

But in that case the train would have to stopped 'in section' and taken water before entering the platform.

5 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Could it be in circumstances if the train was going to stand for a period of time and there were Up trains due that the pilot could uncouple, run forwaxrd to that column and stand whilst Up trains passed before moving over. I have always wondered though too.

Sorry, but I don't understand the logic of that :-(

How could Up trains 'pass by' if the pilot was standing at the column on the Up line?

If the pilot waited on the Down line, then went across to the Up via the crossover in front of the water tower, it would then have had to make a wrong-road move back outside the Up Home, requiring the signalman to 'block back' to Cole. Why not just take water in the station from the column in the 6-foot?

1 minute ago, RailWest said:

But in that case the train would have to stopped 'in section' and taken water before entering the platform.

Clearly, my lack of orientation is confusing me.

I envisaged the watertower on one side of the crossing, with the column in question on the opposite side of the tracks; the station being on the other side of the crossing.

There was a watercrane at the opposite end of the platform from the crossing, but a long train using that watercrane would overhang the crossing.

I am probably mixing-up my Up and Down platforms.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium

Rats, I answered without even checking a photo, somehow forgetting the column was on the up line rather than the down line. Only possibly logic might be if the platform was occupied by a branch train, an up train was accepted under the warning and so was held there with the column giving the crews the chance to take water while waiting?

Duncan

I think the additional column, on the up line south of the crossing, was probably for freight trains. Whilst most had stared at journey at Templecombe, some 10 miles to the south, they needed to refill their tanks before the assault over the Mendips. By using that column, they wouldn't block the A371 crossing - not a trunk road but reasonably busy nonetheless.

Pilots for up expresses would've filled up before their trains arrived at Evercreech. There's no way the train engine of up expresses could fill-up without blocking the crossing, with their 9+ rake of coaches; they were booked 5 mins to do this at the column on the north end of the platform. Up local and branch trains could fill up from that platform column without blocking the crossing, as three coaches could fit in the platform without stretching over onto the road.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I think the additional column, on the up line south of the crossing, was probably for freight trains. Whilst most had stared at journey at Templecombe, some 10 miles to the south, they needed to refill their tanks before the assault over the Mendips. By using that column, they wouldn't block the A371 crossing - not a trunk road but reasonably busy nonetheless.

Pilots for up expresses would've filled up before their trains arrived at Evercreech. There's no way the train engine of up expresses could fill-up without blocking the crossing, with their 9+ rake of coaches; they were booked 5 mins to do this at the column on the north end of the platform. Up local and branch trains could fill up from that platform column without blocking the crossing, as three coaches could fit in the platform without stretching over onto the road.

Ahh - nice to know that my limited knowledge isn't far from the truth!

Regards,

CJI.

Ironically, Mike found the answer himself since I posted the question :-)

S&D Officer Minute 3297 dated 29th December 1885:-

"Agreed to recommend that a new water column be erected at Evercreech Junction on the site shown on the attached plan ...... at an estimated cost of £50. At present Up goods trains, taking water at that place from the existing column .....block the level crossing, but this will be avoided if the proposed column is provided."

So yes, it was provided for Up goods trains to use before entering the station.

I have a very vague recollection of seeing a photo somewhere once of a light engine taking water there, but I may be mistaken.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1