Bovey Quay

Gedward

Most pubs had a hanging sign with an appropriate picture/ logo and the owning brewery on it, usually at the top (or 'free house' instead of a brewery). The pub name at the bottom. Or style to suit. . . . 

Postcard completed 👍

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Golden Cod doesn't do it for me, sorry.

FWIW, from (fuzzy) memory Brixham pubs, of note were 'The Crown' (& Anchor), 'The Sprat' (& Mackerel) and 'The Blue' (Anchor). Also The (Golden) Lion up the valley, for a bling name! Things have changed a lot at the top of town, but I suspect railwaymen might've nipped along of The Queen's (Arms) when opportunity afforded.

I think the convention if there is any, is more that names already full of meaning were picked to give/reflect the pub's identity. There's a risk of us reverse engineering to names which 'identify as a pub', which ring a little hollow IMO.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for all the comments. We were always in two minds with that name. Because it's an easy fix, I thought I'd give it a whirl, but a new name has been chosen...

On 24/04/2024 at 11:19, Schooner said:

The (Golden) Lion up the valley, for a bling name!

The new name is...

THE GOLDEN ANCHOR

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A late friend feigned never to recall pub names, and would always identify such as "The Old Boot & Socks". Imagine his delight when he found a wine-bar near London Bridge called "The Boot & Flogger". 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John. I purchased the font from My Fonts. Then set up a doc in PSD with several sizes and printed out a laser copy.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Thanks John. I purchased the font from My Fonts. Then set up a doc in PSD with several sizes and printed out a laser copy.

The "N" is weird/eye-catching/both.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The "N" is weird/eye-catching/both.

As a graphic designer by trade, you can understand that I spent countless hours looking for the right font for this. Bovey Quay is to be both quirky and also very rundown set between '55-'65.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Looks very much like a  Lundun boozer, to me!!

That's right, we lived in Paddington from 1955 to 1969. But I only left London a couple of years ago.

Bovey Quay is a unique place it'll have a character all of its own. It won't be a model of any particular place TBH. I'm not after following conventions or prototypes.

• Like 5