Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2022 - Dublo range inc A4

AY Mod

I must admit I have pulled the new loco/tender connection apart on my new Hornby locos that have them without any issues. I did have an issue where some PVA glue got in there when I was adding real coal but it eventually cleaned off. My biggest concern is the long term viability of this connection. We know plastic goes brittle over age so I do wonder. As to the broken part, unfortunately things like this happen like the previous 4 pin connector where the crimp doesn't work. Probably a return to Hornby is the best solution as adding solder might make one of the pins slightly too proud so it doesn't engage properly plus Hornby need to be notified of faults with their product so that they can improve it next time.

• Agree 3

21 hours ago, jaym481 said:

Are these actually fitted with the 8 pin decoder socket? Given the other improvements, and that Hornby are using the 21-pin socket in other models now, it seems a bit of a throwback if that's the case.

They are 21 pin as per the discussion on the previous page.

10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

They are 21 pin as per the discussion on the previous page.

And I'd thought I read every page without finding that, but clearly I was getting lazy by the time I came on that page. Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/12/2023 at 15:15, GraemeWatson said:

Unfortunately my tender on Sir Nigel Gresley did not like being uncoupled...

One of the contacts must have been adherent in some way, and snapped it in half.

IMG_20231226_150859~3.jpg

An update: Hornby customer services offered to sort this if I sent it to them, or to supply the part when it becomes available. I opted for the replacement tender connector part. As such, that's a very satisfactory outcome. For those joining the conversation at this point, this arrangement of contacts is incredibly small, much more so than the macro photo would have you believe.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 04/01/2024 at 05:47, GraemeWatson said:

An update: Hornby customer services offered to sort this if I sent it to them, or to supply the part when it becomes available. I opted for the replacement tender connector part. As such, that's a very satisfactory outcome. For those joining the conversation at this point, this arrangement of contacts is incredibly small, much more so than the macro photo would have you believe.

Can you not transfer the unused contacts from the top piece? I haven't tried it yet myself, but going to give it a go.

I had the same problem I had had the Loco and tender apart twice, and on the second time, it didn't work. I managed to figure out what was wrong using test leads to the locomotive

Contacted Hornby Technical, who said to send a photograph of the part as they didn't seem to know what it was. I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Looking online, I found the part had been available from Peters spares but it was sadly sold out I did a Google search using the part number they had. I managed to get the last one available from the new modeller’s shop.

The hardest bit of fitting it is removing the white plug from the crimp connections, so you can pass the wires through the chassis then you have to do the same procedure with the new connector reusing the white plug.

The part number is X7955 on the label, it calls it new loco tender connection P2.

From the research, I've done these fit the new P2 the Hornby Dublo A4 and the Hornby Dublo Scotsman

I don't think the tender side of this connection is very robust or reliable. I think Some could've just been jammed together in the factory and that's why they're failing so quickly.

I wouldn't recommend anybody to disconnect them unless they have to.

Hope this helps

IMG_5594.jpeg

IMG_5582.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 3

It has come to my attention that Hornby have fitted the LNER style speedometer to all of the Great Gathering locos (except Mallard as that is appropriate for it's preserved form) and 60030 "Golden Fleece". I discovered this while scrutinizing the pictures from retailers such as Rails, TMC and Kernow to satisfy my own curiosity as Hornby's own pictures are all taken showing the driver's side of the loco. I am quite certain that none of the preserved locos (except for Mallard again) are fitted with this particular speedometer but have the later BR style one on the driver's side (except for 4489) and same can be said for 60030. They have also done a similar thing with the 85th anniversary Mallard model where the loco is fitted with the inauthentic BR style speedometer on the driver's side when it's depicted in it's 1938 guise with the correct LNER speedometer. A small detail to get hung up on but as they say, "Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it". I believe the LNER style speedo might be authentic for 4490 and 4491 as well but do correct me if not. Apologies if this has been brought up previously.

Snap! Only in my case the buffer beam also broke off. Must have been the packer on the production line that day as the rest of the box is totally undamaged.

PXL_20240102_192043430_exported_160_1704223285611.jpg.b3b2ff901846db31ea8b72c90c4fc6c7.jpg

Going to have to return it as the paint damage is beyond my skill to fix. The double orange lining on left hand side of smokebox is also badly applied and a bit of the paint has flaked off showing bare metal. Very disappointed considering it is meant to be a premium product. Doubly so as I bought it from the Bluebell Railway shop to help with funds.

Regards,

Dan

• Friendly/supportive 3

47 minutes ago, Dan Hamblin said:

Snap! Only in my case the buffer beam also broke off. Must have been the packer on the production line that day as the rest of the box is totally undamaged.

PXL_20240102_192043430_exported_160_1704223285611.jpg.b3b2ff901846db31ea8b72c90c4fc6c7.jpg

Going to have to return it as the paint damage is beyond my skill to fix. The double orange lining on left hand side of smokebox is also badly applied and a bit of the paint has flaked off showing bare metal. Very disappointed considering it is meant to be a premium product. Doubly so as I bought it from the Bluebell Railway shop to help with funds.

Regards,

Dan

Hornby QC strikes again or lack of it!

Disappointing for you Dan.

I wonder how many others are like this?

Simply not acceptable on a premium £300 + model!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I hadn’t opened my UoSA as it arrived over new year period and was a bit busy, so checked it after seeing the photos of the damaged fronts. Luckily mine isn’t damaged, but there is excess glue all around the front number plate area.

I found a piece of detailing broken off, it’s also got a black mark I can’t remove on the top of the body and the lining is a bit sloppy tbh.

Normally I wouldn’t be too bothered, touch of glue on the detailing and can oversee the paint job, but at £320 for a premium model I’m not sure I want to overlook these blemishes.

Doesn’t help that I bought a second hand like new green A4 for £100 at Warley and it’s as good if not in better nick than the Dublo. It’s not diecast, but other than the seam along the top of the boiler it ain’t half bad.

Maybe I’m just trying to justify not keeping it, as I don’t feel it’s worth the money overall. I’ve been after a good modern UoSA so many years and I thought this would be perfect.

IMG_8931.jpeg

IMG_8932.jpeg

IMG_8933.jpeg

IMG_8929.jpeg

IMG_8937.jpeg

Edited by Richy59
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, micklner said:

Simply send it back . Is the mould line of the Boiler side really that bad ?  The broken part is the Speedo Bracket.

I probably will, maybe get a replacement first and see how it is.

You know, I hadn’t really noticed the mould line in the boiler being different, but it’s the same on both sides. I don’t know if it is a mould line being diecast or not though. Another angle of it beside the plastic A4.

IMG_8935.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2024 at 20:07, Monkey28 said:

Can you not transfer the unused contacts from the top piece? I haven't tried it yet myself, but going to give it a go.

This is an interesting point. I've actually been wondering for what reason the top contacts exist. The loco end of the board is double sided, with a row of thin vertical flat track contacts as your photo shows, and yet, there's no real reason for the top row of non wired contacts on the tender component, to exist. They don't for example provide an alternative way of conducting from the tender to the loco, and any "grip" effect they would have, is negligible.

I'm very grateful that you provided your experience of the part number and repair on this project.

• Like 2

On 07/01/2024 at 19:22, Richy59 said:

I probably will, maybe get a replacement first and see how it is.

You know, I hadn’t really noticed the mould line in the boiler being different, but it’s the same on both sides. I don’t know if it is a mould line being diecast or not though. Another angle of it beside the plastic A4.

IMG_8935.jpeg

I just checked mine and it is perfect just like your plastic one. So how can they do that, surely they all used the same mould.

• Like 2

On 07/01/2024 at 17:45, Richy59 said:

I hadn’t opened my UoSA as it arrived over new year period and was a bit busy, so checked it after seeing the photos of the damaged fronts. Luckily mine isn’t damaged, but there is excess glue all around the front number plate area.

I found a piece of detailing broken off, it’s also got a black mark I can’t remove on the top of the body and the lining is a bit sloppy tbh.

Normally I wouldn’t be too bothered, touch of glue on the detailing and can oversee the paint job, but at £320 for a premium model I’m not sure I want to overlook these blemishes.

Doesn’t help that I bought a second hand like new green A4 for £100 at Warley and it’s as good if not in better nick than the Dublo. It’s not diecast, but other than the seam along the top of the boiler it ain’t half bad.

Maybe I’m just trying to justify not keeping it, as I don’t feel it’s worth the money overall. I’ve been after a good modern UoSA so many years and I thought this would be perfect.

IMG_8931.jpeg

IMG_8932.jpeg

IMG_8933.jpeg

IMG_8929.jpeg

IMG_8937.jpeg

On 07/01/2024 at 19:04, micklner said:

Simply send it back . Is the mould line of the Boiler side really that bad ?  The broken part is the Speedo Bracket.

I completely agree with Mick. I've many Hornby plastic bodied A4s, nonhave that boiler seem. Interestingly the green seems far richerbut the lining isn't as crisp and seems more yellow than orange.

I've not seen one in the flesh but that's what the photos indicate 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking back at all the other photos and even the Hornby pictures there is evident seams along the boilers on all the models from what I can tell, which doesn't exist on the plastic body.

I thought it was maybe a real life quirk that has been missed all these years, but it seems that isn't the case and the diecast mould is joined at two different areas across the top of the body.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly my 60009 is also missing a numberplate on the front, looks like it was glued on, but its gone, not in the packaging at all.

The packaging is completely uncreased so I don't think its been out of the box since it was initially wrapped.

My 60007 had no issues.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Sadly my 60009 is also missing a numberplate on the front, looks like it was glued on, but its gone, not in the packaging at all.

The packaging is completely uncreased so I don't think its been out of the box since it was initially wrapped.

My 60007 had no issues.

Hornby have marketed the HD Great Gathering A4's as a premium product, yet they've used flimsy/main range plastic fittings, untidily attached to a metal body. 

Last year I purchased Sir Nigel Gresley in BR Brunswick Green, a perfect model in every respect.

Union of South Africa, an A4 I've been waiting for, is disappointing to say the least!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Hornby have marketed the HD Great Gathering A4's as a premium product, yet they've used flimsy/main range plastic fittings, untidily attached to a metal body. 

Last year I purchased Sir Nigel Gresley in BR Brunswick Green, a perfect model in every respect.

Union of South Africa, an A4 I've been waiting for, is disappointing to say the least!

This is mine…

2FA07FFD-0F1B-4674-A5CE-BC3038CDED4D.jpeg.97effd7c43bec08bc8e97d91f15c41a6.jpeg

otherwise looks fine, a bit naffed off really.

The annoying thing was up until a few weeks ago I thought i’d missed out, and forgot I ordered it from a retailer I dont buy from very often.

On one hand I could buy a smokebox numberplate and fix it, but it will never be the collectors model it should be, by the looks of it I reckon I could do a better job than Hornby did too ! But doing that defies the point of buying it in the first place.. I already have an original GG plastic model, and theres nowt wrong with that.

Hornby does still have it in stock, so really the retailer should be able to replace this.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2024 at 17:01, ColinB said:

I just checked mine and it is perfect just like your plastic one. So how can they do that, surely they all used the same mould.

Its not the same mould.

might be the same base cad but the moulding is different on all 3 of them (A4, MN and Duchess)

The tender is the same (plastic) tooling. when you look closer to see the texture difference in the paint holding to the metal vs the plastic.. imo it sits nicer on the metal as the paint sinks into the plastic…to me thats a subtle part of the appeal of dublo.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its not the same mould.

might be the same base cad but the moulding is different on all 3 of them (A4, MN and Duchess)

The tender is the same (plastic) tooling. when you look closer to see the texture difference in the paint holding to the metal vs the plastic.. imo it sits nicer on the metal as the paint sinks into the plastic…to me thats a subtle part of the appeal of dublo.

Collectability aside, I'm thinking go with the main range A4 Golden Fleece, which as far as I'm aware doesn't have these defects!

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its not the same mould.

Yes but mine is the same loco as his, Union of South Africa.