The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Model trains as a pension?

ruggedpeak

On 08/01/2022 at 10:04, ruggedpeak said:

Back in the 90's I worked with someone with a very nice fleet of old Aston Martins, bought at the peak of the classic car market as investments, they couldn't sell them as the loss would have been too great. Great fun driving about in them though.

I had one, bought at the bottom of the market, got my money back 8 years later, but the guy who bought it from me made £100k clear, you win some you lose some, as has been said it's a bit like gambling. I agree superb fun driving one, even if it did only do 12 mpg.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Dava said:

With art, cars, bikes, model trains etc., just invest in ones you enjoy owning and maybe using. 

I enjoy obscure US O scale locos of a compact shortline size. Brass ones are nice. Can be surprisingly affordable. It’s a hobby not an investment.

Dava

5FA62AD2-12C9-4134-AAE2-B6F729C5CA0D.jpeg

I would not consider a GE 44 tonner an obscure motor. As far as shortlines go, at least two class 1s had them; Baltimore & Ohio and Pennsylvania. Is yours a Yoder?   BTW, nice scene, I would like to see more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I would not consider a GE 44 tonner an obscure motor. As far as shortlines go, at least two class 1s had them; Baltimore & Ohio and Pennsylvania. Is yours a Yoder?   BTW, nice scene, I would like to see more.

True, l also like 25, 45 & 70 tonners, each is a modelling project. The 44 & 45 tonners are Rich Yoder models. 
The microlayout they are pictured on has its own history here: 

• Thanks 1