A Scottish Branch Line Terminus: making a start in EM Gauge

rhnrhn

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Inspired by the buildings at Tamdhu and Benromach, I have started on a half relief representation of a distillery, to fill the gap at the back of the boards next to the grain elevator.

distillery_12.JPG

distillery_11.JPG

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The distillery walls were painted with satin wood paint, which also acted to seal the cardboard.  The colour is "Altweiß" or "Antique White" which gives them a very slightly grey complexion.  Once dry this was then treated to several coats of matt varnish to dull the sheen and to provide a key for weathering.

Although the walls of the real buildings at Benromach are completely whitewashed, I found this to be rather stark on the models. Looking closer at photos of the prototype suggest that the walls are brick painted white, which of course is not what I have reproduced. So to break it up a little, I have fitted lintels, sills and masonry for the arch using strips of heavy paper painted stone grey.

Irritatingly, there is a blemish next to the corner of the archway which seems to have arisen from a crease in the card. I will attempt to conceal this with a sign...

distillery_15.JPG

distillery_16.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The window frames were left overs from a kit that was bashed for another project. Glazing is the clear plastic from some Ratio Packaging, glued to the back of the frames with Deluxe Materials Glue and Glaze.

The double door / gate was made using Evergreen Styrene Strips, mounted on card.

distillery_21.JPG

distillery_18.JPG

distillery_20.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The distillery buildings now have roofs, They were made up on a base 1mm card covered in Scale Model Scenery laser cut tiles, which have been painted with Revell Olive Grey acrylic. Guttering is a combination of Ratio gutters and 1.5mm Evergreen rod for the down pipes.

The Vent at the top of the Hop drying kiln was created using Evergreen 0,5mm and 1mm Styrene Sheet, together with 2.5mm Square Profile for the uprights and 1.5mm half round for the roof "ridges". It was painted using Revell Tar Black and Gunship Grey.

distillery_24.JPG

distillery_25.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

One thing that I am not sure about is the positioning of the sign on the Kiln Building. My first idea was to place it in the centre of the lower section, as in the picture above, but I am wondering whether it looks better slightly offset, as pictured here. 

For now it is secured with blu-tak until I make my mind up...

Any suggestions?

distillery_23.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Night time - having now installed and wired up the lighting, it's time to test it and see how it photographs.

P5010001_13_focusstacking.jpg

Must remember next time to black out the windows at the back of the grain silo so that they don't light up the wall behind:

P5010001_14_focusstacking.jpg.68d79b05df5f225462bd28eea6590d79.jpg

Edited by rhnrhn
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

For the grain elevator, distillery, signal box and station building I used battery powered LED cables attached to supports fashioned from coat hangers.

P4230001_19_focusstacking.jpg.b9a7e168abe34163c65283e128460d3b.jpg

The supports were then inserted through holes in the baseboard and held in place with screws & washers attached to the "hooks" formed on the end of the hangers:

P5010001_11_focusstacking.jpg.e0ed81885a6136fac8e829425288c788.jpg

Edited by rhnrhn
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Hi , do you have a link to the one you used as I notice there are several with different spacing

Tia

Dave

Hi Dave

The spacing is 0.100 inch. I used Evergreen Reference 14543 which is for a sheet 300mm x 600mm / 12" x 24".

It is also available as Reference 4543 in smaller sheets 150mm x 300mm / 6" x 12".

Here is the relevant link to the Evergreen Website:

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/040-1-0mm-opaque-white-polystyrene-board-and-batton-siding/products/4543-040-x-100-opaque-white-polystyrene-board-and-batten-siding?variant=34634434514

I purchased mine from modellbau-universe.de in Germany:

Strukturplatte, 300x600x1,0 mm, Raster 2,5 mm, 1 Stück · Evergreen · 514543 (modellbau-universe.de)

(can't get this to paste as a link I am afraid...)

Regards

Richard

Edited by rhnrhn
links...
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Green and Maroon at Achnabroad:

P7020024_24_focusstacking.jpg.719baefde3a1d47fc38860f3e8a045a2.jpg

The Guard waits for the solitary passenger to board:

P7020001_23_focusstacking.jpg.7eb011982853740de5ebd7432a1369ea.jpg

While at the distillery, barrels are being loaded on to a lorry - which doesn't bode well...

P7020031_30_focusstacking.jpg.42e8437f9cf5e9e74af9fdca06b67693.jpg

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been trying out rolling stock construction, painting and weathering using some of the Parkside range of kits.

My guess was if I build some stock from kits, (re-)gauging it to EM should be straightforward. In fact the only bit of mofication was to pull each wheel on the supplied axles 1mm outwards, which using my wheel pulling / pressing tool was quite straigtforward. The wheels that come with these kits have quite narrow profiles  so they are quite easy to adapt. 

Furthermore since they cost no more than £12 each, prospect of making a hash of the weathering was not quite as daunting as it would have been with an RTR model which these days are approaching three times that amount...

First some Vans: (apologies for the "Ready-Brek" Glow - an unintentional result of the focus stacking :-()

BR 12T Pallet Van (diagram 1/211) 

diag_1_211_pallet_van.jpg.671df1dec73220000fe69ebe68c5bb9f.jpg

BR 12T Van Plywood Sides (diagram 1/213)

diag_1_213_van.jpg.229a161b89d9d9674213d7aeb36349f1.jpg

BR 12T Van Plank SIdes (diagram 1/208)

diag_1_208_van.jpg.6bb2560ff634a11f58b64678083f61c7.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Followed by some wagons...

BR Shock Absorbing Open Wagon (diagram 1/050)

diag_1_050_shock_wagon.jpg.eda14daed33cd3ec9ad62d3300e3f8f5.jpg

BR 13T Wooden Open Wagon (diagram 1/039)

diag_1_039_open_wagon.jpg.433c6e008f597d15a309ca388caacc70.jpg

And finally a 7 Plank Open Wagon assembled from a Dapol Body and matching chassis:

diag_7_plank.jpg.31363f9bb5de7372dcb4762c10e9d474.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Here they are in a train, waiting for the signal to leave Achnabroad, behind a pristine* D8123:

(* Although for a first attempt I am happy with the wagons, I am still daunted by the idea of weathering something expensive like a locomotive!)

P7300160_19_focusstacking.jpg.1151e9597d0bb9ee976dde49dc70f2c9.jpg

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/04/2023 at 17:20, rhnrhn said:

Time to give the station a name, and some signs...

P4160015_25_focusstacking.jpg

P4160040_16_focusstacking.jpg

P4160087_27_focusstacking.jpg

Just catching up with this excellent layout.

Please can you tell me what you used to make your station signs including paint and lettering?

Mark

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 27105 said:

Just catching up with this excellent layout.

Please can you tell me what you used to make your station signs including paint and lettering?

Mark

Hi Mark,

thank you for the kind words!

Regarding the signs, I started by purchasing the "Station Signs and Posters Set S06 (Scottish Region)" as a download from Scalescenes:

https://scalescenes.com/product/r001a-station-signs-and-posterboards/

I used this for the posters and timetables etc.

I was also going to use it for the station name boards and associated signs, but I found the blue that Scalescenes used in the download to be too light for my liking, so after a bit of a search I found this on Wikimedia Commons:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Scottish_Region_of_British_Railways_totem_Redvers.png

Using a sample of this blue (which is RGB Red 0, Green 140, Blue 233) and the Font "Trebuchet MS" (Bold setting) I then concocted my own signs in MS PowerPoint, which I then printed out and attached to the buildings and signposts.

Hope this is of help!

Richard.

Edited by rhnrhn
hyperlinks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, rhnrhn said:

Hi Mark,

thank you for the kind words!

Regarding the signs, I started by purchasing the "Station Signs and Posters Set S06 (Scottish Region)" as a download from Scalescenes:

https://scalescenes.com/product/r001a-station-signs-and-posterboards/

I used this for the posters and timetables etc.

I was also going to use it for the station name boards and associated signs, but I found the blue that Scalescenes used in the download to be too light for my liking, so after a bit of a search I found this on Wikimedia Commons:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Scottish_Region_of_British_Railways_totem_Redvers.png

Using a sample of this blue (which is RGB Red 0, Green 140, Blue 233) and the Font "Trebuchet MS" (Bold setting) I then concocted my own signs in MS PowerPoint, which I then printed out and attached to the buildings and signposts.

Hope this is of help!

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your reply.

Is the platform 'running in board' structure scratch built or a kit?

Kind regards

Mark