A Scottish Branch Line Terminus: making a start in EM Gauge

rhnrhn

• RMweb Gold
On 11/01/2022 at 18:13, SHerr said:

I’ve also used the Peco cabin - 1 bit of advice, paint the door before you complete the porch, I didn’t and you can’t have it in a different colour as you can’t get in to paint it!

Duly noted... Thanks for the tip

signal_box_5.JPG

Edited by rhnrhn
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

For the lighting I have used a battery powered LED strip, which I have cut into sections, with each section used to light a different building. Once installed the sections will be re-connected in parallel to the battery box...lights.thumb.JPG.c49a789e0eae0712fb9434e44c428d24.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The landscape towards the scenic break is formed from expanded polystyrene insulation using a hot wire. The edging is constructed from 5 mm thick softwood, which also acts as a guide for the hot wire when forming the contours.

The polystyrene will be coated with wall filler to provide a smooth hard surface. But first I want to finish painting the overbridge before I glue it in place, as well as install the platform surfaces.

landscape_1.JPG

landscape_2.JPG

Edited by rhnrhn
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The station platform now has a surface, made from 1mm thick cardboard.

The edging stones are fabricated from thin card strips 10 mm wide and scored 2mm from one edge. The strip is cut into individual stones each 10mm wide, which are then bent at right angles along the score and  glued in place. 

The platform surface is painted using Faller Roadway Paint and the stones using Revell Stone Grey. The joints between the stones were highlighted using dark brown weathering powder.

platform_edge.JPG

platform_0.JPG

platform_1.JPG

platform_2.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Having finished painting te road overbridge it was glued in place. Wallfiller was then applied to provide a a hard surface for the polystyrene landscape form.

Here is a picture  showing this, with the fiddle yard in its stowed position.

I will need to bear this arrangement in mind when it comes to positioning trees etc. ;-)

landscape_3.JPG

• Like 12

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Scalescenes recommend using some sort of fixing agent like a spray varnish on one's home printed roof tiles. I didn't so when I left the window open and the rain got in the Goods Shed and Station Building found themselves subject to the wrong kind of weathering...

P8240106.JPG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I have finally finished painting and glazing the Grain Elevator, and have installed a base for the unloading shed with laser cut card grids representing the top of the unloading chute.

PA240111.JPG

PA240112.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The onloading she has been modified, so that the base of the posts are embedded in a concrete foundation and the gantries have been replaced with elements from a laser cut kit for a Locomotive shed working platform. The kit was also used to provide the external staircase. 

PA240113.JPG

PA240114.JPG

PA240115.JPG

PA240116.JPG

PA240117.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having painted the white wall filler surfaces of the landscaping dark brown fencing was added and a base layer of static grass applied.

The grass is made up of Woodland scenics light green for the cuttings and medium green for the rest. A mix of 2mm and 4mm lengths was used. The wire and post fencing is from ScaleModelScenery, the wooden fencing is PECO.

PB130119.JPG

PB130120.JPG

Edited by rhnrhn
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Additional static grass was then applied to the cuttings, longer 7mm length light green mixed with 4mm Straw. Again Woodland scenics.

I used Woodland scenics Clump foliage  to represent small bushes / bracken, which also serves to conceal the base board joins. The trees are from Noch.

PB130121.JPG

PB130125.JPG

PB130124.JPG

Edited by rhnrhn
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

There was quite a lot of "overflow" from the static grass application. I have been collecting this with a vacuum and saving it as a mixture of different lengths and shades, which I am now reapplying around the base of some of the buildings to represent weeds.

PB200120.JPG

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

More weeds, this time applied using 2mm & 4mm static grass to the sidings' / yard's ash surface...

The grass was applied using puffer bottles, with hairspray as the adhesive, so as not to lose the underlying ash surface which was made using fine black quarz sand.

weeds_1.JPG

weeds_2.JPG

weeds_3.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I wanted to use the "lamps on wooden 'telegraph' poles" type of lights for the platform and yard lighting. To achieve this I converted some layouts4u Lamposts, 3 of the OO Scale ones for the platform and 2 of the O Scale for the yard,

However the posts on these lamps with a diameter of 1.5mm are for my eye too thin. So I have clad them in 1/8" diameter Evergreen Plastic Tube.

First thing to do is ream out about a 6mm length of the tube so that it will go over the sleeve at the base of the lamp:

lamp_1.JPG

Edited by rhnrhn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy New Year. Time to run some trains...

A grain train has arrived in the main platform, its locomotive is uncoupled so that it can run around and uncouple the brake van from the rear.

running_23010801.JPG

running_23010802.JPG

• Like 9