RMweb

Broken Tortoise Mount

Nathanael

Hi

I have just gotten back in to modelling after nearly 10 years! Thought I'd start small with an inglenook layout and install a couple of Tortoise point motors.

A couple of days ago I receive said motors and one of them was broken in the box. The corner where it gets mounted is busted off.

Model shop hasn't replied to my emails about it so was wondering how big of deal is it with a broken corner? Would I still be able to mount it and would the motor run fine?

Could I just mount it with 3 screws?

Am I making a big deal over nothing? :)

image_67174145.JPG

Have just double checked my layout. I have 11 Tortoise motprs mounted on 9mm ply and are all fixed with just two screws on diagonal corners. It's been a show layout for several years before the Covid issues started and have had no issues. When in use the motors are used very frequently.

Provided yours are securely mounted on level. smooth and solid surfaces like ply, then I very much doubt that you would have problems only using three screws.

I'd consider finding another model shop though!

HTH

John

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Like John, my tortoise motors are mounted with just 2 opposite screws onto ply. (I've got over 50 of the things now) I do it this way so that loosening off the 2 and a slight twist means I can quickly drop a motor on the fly and replace it. Only needed to do that once in 20+ years of using them. As you can see below I use Floorspan styrofoam as a module surface and just sink the 4mm ply mounted motors into pre-cut holes. Don't worry about having a broken corner as long as you can still use the 2 opposite mounting holes. 

post-2818-0-62048500-1360146608_thumb.jpgpost-2818-0-60567100-1360146871_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ah that's really good to know. Thanks so much.

These motors will also be mounted to ply.

Yeah a bit annoyed about the shop as basically no one stocks the motors in NZ and this was the first time I used them.

Will need to look further afield.

Thanks John and Andrew for the help and info! Really appreciate it.

Edited by Nathanael
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And in the past when using tortoises on Abbotswood one took a knock and broke off the complete mounting bracket on one side. 

Repaired it with superglue - lasted another 3 years until layout was retired. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you want something even more robust how about fixing the PM to a piece of ply or MDF just a bit bigger than the PM with short screws in the remaining mounts plus some adhesive and then use that with some holes and more screws to mount under the board?

Chris

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...