How to remove tender body late Edward Engine (Thomas range)

boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

I foolishly said I would DCC my grandsons Hornby Edward engine......fine no problem I thought but I just cannot get the tender apart, any ideas?

It is a late model so doesn't have the ringfield motor but what looks like a 3 pole geared at each end, but no mater how many screws I undo or thin screwdriver I slip twixt tender body and chassis it feels like it will break before it lets go!

I suggest a fine scalpel blade twixt body and frame with a slight twist outward. This works for me with no undue pressure or force. Another way I have used is to squeeze the body on each end and the motor drops out!

• RMweb Premium

Bloomin’ easy peasy……wasn’t it? :D

I have a thin iPhone type dismantling tool and it has very strong very thin plastic “blades” and found that just easing the blade between the body and chassis at each rear corner (actually at 45deg to the corner) popped each side off easily.

Cheers chaps…..now to find a chip with “Edward” on it :rolleyes:

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Annoyingly now the chip is fitted it is probably (apart from my Oxford/Bachmann Dean Goods which is surprisingly a brilliant runner) the best running kettle I have, I thought it would be a bit of a waste of time spending on a sound decoder for my Grandson to partner the Thomas model, as the Edward is tender driven but it’s not a Ringfield it is a can motor with gears both ends to outer axles and it performs flawlessly, so much so I wish Hornby had produced my 9F and Earl of StGermans with this tender drive mechanism!

I have always thought a kettle should be boiler/body driven but after this……Hmm.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1