Lowmac EK buffers

SM42

Hopefully this is the right forum  area as it sort of falls between two stools as it were

I am in the process of knocking together the Dapol Lowmac EK kit and I am not happy with the moulded buffers and wish to replace them with something a little better

The question is, what buffers were fitted to these wagons ?

I am leaning towards a Dowty hydraulic of some description judging by photos on line , but the various Dowty buffers  I have in stock don't seem to match photos. The buffer head shank appears to be of larger diameter than those on any I have (MJT and LMS versions) .

It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me of course and I doubt anyone else would notice, but I would like to get it right if only for my own satisfaction.

Era is 70s / 80s in departmental service.

I would also be interested if anyone knows if the buffers were the same or similar throughout the lifetime of these wagons

Many thanks in advance

Andy

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

From a previous thread these are apparently the correct type or very close to them.

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_083.htm

Also a bit of info on the axleboxes.

Jason

Yes, I was going to suggest GW self-contained but I don't model 4mm so don't know sources. 

This was a far from basic kit when introduced by Airfix and the JCB load was a wonderful addition. 3 shillings and worth every penny even if the wheels were dire - and I suspect we would have struggled to find any source of the small diameter wheels needed. 

Paul

21 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

From a previous thread these are apparently the correct type or very close to them.

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_083.htm

Also a bit of info on the axleboxes.

Jason

If only that had come up when I had used the search function. Perhaps I didn't use it to its best. 

Thanks for all the help. 

I've noted some odd missing details that I'm adding as I go. 

It does seem a bit odd that you get painting instruction for the JCB and not the wagon. 

Unfitted grey it will be. 

One more question.

Can I assume the brakes are of the 4 shoe variety acting on the inboard side of the wheels?

Thanks again

Andy