The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Facebook ads on Android tablet

Ben Alder

Can anyone advise how to stop FB flooding my tablet feed with almost continual adverts please. I don't get any on my phone or desktop at all - desktop works on Firefox, set to strict, and I have adblockers installed, which presumably sorts that  but phone is as it came. I have tried adding adblockers to the tablet but it doesn't have much effect - I  have tried a compromise setting, allowing beer and book ads to stay and for a while this ticks along OK but periodically there is two or three days of ads every third post or so. Block them all and it goes away for a week or two but this last month or so they have been almost constant, making FB very annoying. The tablet is my main viewing device and I am getting somewhat frustrated with it all.

I find DNS66 (available from F-droid) is pretty good at blocking ads on Android devices.  It's what I use, anyway, rather than adblocking browsers, which IME mean that ads still get through in apps.  Better still, it's not detected as an adblocker so you don't get whiny "please disable your adblocker" pop-ups either.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, spikey said:

"Chester draws"

Maybe they think they are related to Windsor Chairs?:)

It's actually amazing how often you see that on advertising cards, items for sale etc. Shows how good our education system is:good:

It does bug me a bit that they can't get it at least half right......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/02/2022 at 14:22, Ben Alder said:

Can anyone advise how to stop FB flooding my tablet feed with almost continual adverts please.

As others have said.

I use Firefox and Adblockplus (?)- no ads

Watch out for apps that might not work properly unless certain things are enabled, which then let in ads.

I dumped an office suite because it started inserting ads into the program as you used it (It didn't initially)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, spikey said:

Brilliant listing of two items for sale on a local group on Facebook this afternoon - "Chester draws also player for final records."

It took me a while but I finally got it : "Chest of drawers and player for vinyl records." :biggrin_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, melmerby said:

Watch out for apps that might not work properly unless certain things are enabled, which then let in ads.

I dumped an office suite because it started inserting ads into the program as you used it (It didn't initially)

That's pretty much exactly what AdBlockPlus started doing several years ago. They won't block their partners ads which effectively means it is worthless. Use Ublock Origin instead.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2