Improving the look of 1980s RTR coaches

Making good progress though this project shouldn't really have taken this long! Risking trying to be too clever I've tried to replicate the 'peephole' of the frosted kitchen section windows. I applied a tiny dab of Maskol in as much of a circular blob as I could manage and painted over in matt white. Once dried, Maskol was picked off as carefully as possible with the tip of a scalpel blade. With a bit of messing around I'm sure a better result could be achieved but from normal viewing distance it doesn't look too bad!

IMG_20240218_104548.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst I was waiting for replacement door droplights which appeared to be missing from my Laserglaze pack I managed to get some time to apply the first class'1's and no smoking decals. These are reverse printed from Precision Decals; quite fiddly and time consuming to apply as they need to be  separated from the carrier film one at a time to avoid leaving them submerged too long, as this results in them breaking up. I used the tip of a small cotton bud to position and rotate them. The end result is definitely a reward for the patience required!

Brian at Shawplan was quick to get the replacement parts mailed to me and I took the opportunity to stock up on glazing for a Lima Mk3 TGS and a couple for Mk2fs, so hopefully I can get started on a couple more coaches soon.... 

IMG_20240304_180548.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Nothing new, but the other end of TSOT 6502; for some reason I have only replaced the lamp bracket mouldings with brass fittings at this end and I've also experimented with the electric train supply cable, drilling a 0.4mm hole in the moulding and stripping the outer of some thin multi strand wire leaving a mm or so of the exposed wire to push into the hole. Thinner wire is needed and I don't think it's worth doing this on anything but the end coaches of the rake. I also note West Hill Wagon Works produce ETH cables for MK1 & 3 coaches (but not Mk2!) so putting in an order for some of these to add to the TRFM.... 

IMG_20240304_194639.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting on the detailing parts from West Hill Wagonworks for the Mk3, so I've made a start on a Lima Mk2 BFK. This is numbered as Mk2a 17086, so already correct for the trains being modelled and as you can see I had (many years ago now) already applied 'West of England' route branding and repainted the light grey lower body stripe of original NSE livery which was applied to this model. Not a lot different between this and the TSO-TSOT conversion (which was probably more interesting to everyone!) other than the different window configuration, so the usual process of removing buffer beams, moulded handrail and lamp bracket detail and filing of window apertures has begun.

IMG_20240314_180009.jpg

• Like 6

On 15/03/2024 at 09:39, ess1uk said:

Who’s transfers are you using?

The West of England were old Fox transfers. Numbers (not required for this BFK) are Railtec and the coach classification/braking/heating for most of the Mk2 projects and the HST trailers were bespoke from Rainbow Railways. No smoking and 1st class are either Railtec or Precision reverse printed.

image.png.49cecc203a63104213b548a998b55734.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The detail packs from West Hill Wagon Works arrived and the Mk3 pipes and connectors have received a few coats of white primer. Viewed up close the fine detail is quite impressive.... 

Edited by Macforrest

• 2 weeks later...

Another small step....corridor side safety grab rail. I'd already fitted this, painted satin grey, when I came across a photo of a similar vehicle from the correct era (i.e. not a 21st century refurbishment painted in a retro livery) and saw it should be yellow. I had vague memories of this being correct but no evidence! Simply a strip of Plastruct mounted on a couple of slightly thicker blocks of styrene strip to ensure the rail stands slightly off the back of the glazing.

IMG_20240401_174024.jpg

• Like 6

Finally finished! I have to admit to not having been able to find time to fully commit to this, it shouldn't have taken this long! As ever, the wheels make quite a difference and the glint of the discs is quite satisfying. A little bit of finishing to do as I feel the satin varnish I used to seal in the decals is a bit glossy so I'll apply a coat of matt to soften it to a closer match to the roof and bodysides. Only fitted the train supply sockets to one end, so other end still to do but they add that little bit of extra detail goes a long way to improving the overall look of the model.

P1100003.JPG

P1100004.JPG

P1100005.JPG

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Some progress on the Mk2 BFK - moulded detail removed and holes drilled for handrails and lamp brackets. It looks quite brutal even though three grades of abrasive strip  were used to tidy up after the scalpel blade was wielded. The Lima plastic is quite soft and marks easily, but this should be concealed once a couple of coats of primer have been applied. This should also cover up the handrail hole drilled in incorrect position which has unfortunately gone through the nicely moulded door hinge!

IMG_20240414_195831.jpg

Edited by Macforrest
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...