Mystery LMS Black 5 loco now on EBay. Grafar?

Virgil

Small nuts and bolts to restore the drive coupling?

A bit of paperclip wire with the ends bent over should do!

The vendor clearly doesn't know the rules, a fairly clear description and no L@@K! RARE!!!

And 35 quid inc delivery is only a little on the high side too...

• Funny 2

Replacing the U/J pin won't be a problem (it's just a piece of wire with the ends squashed flat), but the severe zinc pest will be!

The price is not too bad, but, seeing eBay tells me there will be something like an additional £30 in carriage and customs (might be more!), I'm going to pass on this one. I already have a Farish GP5, so I'm not too worried. I understand there are two versions with and without the raised cast number.

The 2 pole motors will usually run fine off load, but present problems as soon as you try to attach anything behind the tender in my experience. They must be OK if properly set up (a factory job according to the  instructions) as I have an early memory of one (King?) pulling two of the heavy and high friction Pullman cars (Gamages IIRC - a long time ago; it must have been 1951/2). This probably explains the missing pin....

EDIT

I've just noticed the pickup  plungers are missing on the tender. (Just two - the chassis was obviously not designed for pointwork.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I thought maybe it had disintegrated due to zinc pest, but obviously not as it's relisted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224833654288?hash=item3459214e10:g:BYQAAOSwRath~pXD

There are still two errors in the listing (that I found - perhaps more). It's made of zinc alloy, not cast iron, and, perhaps more seriously, it is a DC motor not AC (cue smoke!).

IIRC the centre drivers are like that. There should be a traction tyre, but after 70 years it has certainly perished.

Looking through the other listings, the seller also has a Trix Twin Southern Railway tender. Unfortunately the prices seem inspired by the Studebaker fan* (even ignoring the exorbitant charges for carriage/customs from Airstrip One....  Not the seller's fault - Thanks Boris!)

* See the eBay Madness topic....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Hi all,

The Trix Black 5 is not an engine I would consider buying to run. Perhaps as a static display or to just be able to say you have one, But even then it is not likely. IMHO even the early Triang/Hornby Black 5's are better than the Trix one.

Edited by cypherman
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Oh that's good news - it really is rare and should be worth a bomb !

Not worth as much as you think. Average price on Ebay at the moment is between £60-£115. And these engines look to be in excellent condition.

22 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Trix never made a Black 5, but did do a BR Class 5 (or, as they called it, Class V - classical education?).

I always wondered this myself.

I thought a class V was a 'Schools', which Trix also did (or did for! If you've seen one you will know what I mean! Despite this they are expensive collectables!).

https://picclick.co.uk/Trix-TTR-HO-OO-F100-Schools-class-4-4-0-182835682202.html

• Agree 1