Street lights

Guest jim s-w

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

It might just be me but sometimes you just cant find info on the internet that you'd have thought would be easy. In this case, how tall are UK street lamps?

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

It depends on the situation. Most suburban street lights are usually 5 to 6 metres, which is about the eaves height of a 2 story house. On major roads and motorways they can be as high as 20 metres and in some cases more.

Reliably informed by my old man who once spent many earning hours atop street lamps in the former borough of WallyHampton (changing lamps, photo electric sensors and clocks of all things). That street lamps generally came at the height that the local authority could afford (taking into account light spread etc etc etc).

There where a few criteria though. in residential area. Street lamps replaced from about the 70's onwards where generally eve's height or above. So that first floor bedroom windows were not at a direct level. Where overhead electricity cables ran across roads then street lights would only be to a height determined by the "arc over" distance, determined by the height of the transmission lines.

There's a very entertaining episode of the Goon show where Neddy Seagoon is charged with the aquisition of a new concrete lamp post.

Hi All

It might just be me but sometimes you just cant find info on the internet that you'd have thought would be easy. In this case, how tall are UK street lamps?

Cheers

Jim

The ones that have just been placed in our suburban street in Derby are 8 metres high, I know this because I complained about them wasting money replacing an almost new light with a new one and was told it was replaced because it was only 6 mtres high. It now lights up the back garden over the top of my bungalow!

Phil T.

Archived