The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

35mm negative scanners.

JZ

The plunge was taken and bought the Kodak scanner. Given that I have only had it one hour and the negatives are 70+ years old, here is Okehampton in 1949 or 1950.

IMAG0009.JPG.934d6d0788356d7a410dc80cbab95487.JPG

Image size is 4.5mb.

PS. Dad was no David Bailey.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

These are only the first test shots. I'll play around with light/darkness when I actually get to these proper.

In the meantime, a Bristol Freighter(?)

IMAG0006.JPG.34d97d8a64b140e99b5fd0a2dc579907.JPG

As HC-SBU, this aircraft crashed in Ecuador on the 6th August 1949 with the loss of 34 lives.

Edited by JZ
more info on aircraft.
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, JZ said:

The plunge was taken and bought the Kodak scanner. Given that I have only had it one hour and the negatives are 70+ years old, here is Okehampton in 1949 or 1950.

Ron Digsworth?

• Funny 1

I'm not sure how exactly the Kodak scanner works, but where I use a similar(?) device, I scan with the emulsion side facing the (in-built) camera and reverse the resultant scan.  Somewhere along the line of projectors and enlargers, I've - rightly or wrongly - adhered to the rule that the emulsion side should face the lens/image.  (The factory settings probably "correct" an inverted image, to make it appear the same as when the negative is viewed with the naked eye).

• Like 1

It certainly is quick to do. Just push the strip through and press OK on images you want to save. You cane set dates from 1940 to 2050, but, being a US product, the month and day are arse about face. Towards the end of these negs, Dad was getting the hang of things. Anyone recognise this church? It may be on one of the Channel Islands.

IMAG0021.JPG.df562b38f8187b7e9f18fa37b8e029ff.JPG

A bit of googling finds that it's St Saviour's Jersey.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JZ said:

IMAG0009.JPG.934d6d0788356d7a410dc80cbab95487.JPG

There's often plenty of modelling detail and inspiration to be found in less than perfect images, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

There's often plenty of modelling detail and inspiration to be found in less than perfect images, thanks for sharing!

Early solar panel in the centre of photograph.:wink_mini:

• Like 1

I've just forked out £178 to get a batch of 400+ slides scanned professionally by Slide Converters (who sent me someone else's slide of the Rhyll Miniature Railway when my box came back!). Results were good but the rest of my material does not justify anything like that expenditure. I am tempted by this on a "suck-it-and-see" basis - I think it's the same one others have discussed but am not certain.

https://etsytoolbar.com/products/eecord-good-memories

2 hours ago, Michael Crofts said:

I've just forked out £178 to get a batch of 400+ slides scanned professionally by Slide Converters (who sent me someone else's slide of the Rhyll Miniature Railway when my box came back!). Results were good but the rest of my material does not justify anything like that expenditure. I am tempted by this on a "suck-it-and-see" basis - I think it's the same one others have discussed but am not certain.

https://etsytoolbar.com/products/eecord-good-memories

I was happy with the results from mine, more than adequate for what I wanted. However the product was faulty. It kept returning to the home screen about 80% of the time I pressed the photo button. Returned and quickly refunded. I will at some point replace it as there were quite a few photo's of my Grandparents which can be shared to other family members.

2 hours ago, JZ said:

However the product was faulty. It kept returning to the home screen about 80% of the time I pressed the photo button. 

I just spent £300 on a portable monitor. Dead on Arrival. So now I have to re-assemble the packaging and pay to send it back. Off topic I know, but Grrrr....

8 hours ago, Michael Crofts said:

I just spent £300 on a portable monitor. Dead on Arrival. So now I have to re-assemble the packaging and pay to send it back. Off topic I know, but Grrrr....

At least with Amazon, that return costs were covered.

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2022 at 16:29, JZ said:

IMAG0010.JPG.0905ceccb94f85379b50442096193353.JPG

A screen grab then rotated to the right angle and a few minutes in Photoshop, hope you don't mind. Resurrectable as you can see. Locomotive = 21C102 Salisbury.

1807836168_RMWebbullied.png.6010737df8b5f9bbb147d2ccf2a2738d.png

Edited by john new
Image reloaded
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1