Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How Roco Manufacture a Model Locomotive

Working pantographs & lights, level decals, space for decoders, close coupling pockets, effective packaging & manufactured in Europe -  who would have thought it at all possible.

Agreed, a little more than a UK model but I know where my hard earned would go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I think the price difference is not always just "a little more than a UK model"

e.g. Compare the Roco H0 Class 50 2-10-0 with DCC sound against a Bachmann 9F with DCC sound. The difference (manufacturer's current rrp) is about 48% more! (allowing for vat & currencies differencies)

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

e.g. Compare the Roco H0 Class 50 2-10-0 with DCC sound against a Bachmann 9F with DCC sound. The difference (manufacturer's current rrp) is about 48% more! (allowing for vat & currencies differencies)

Bad comparison.

Just because they are both 2-10-0s doesn’t mean they are in any way comparable.

Try the price difference between the most recent Bachmann class 47 and say, a Roco SNCF CC72000 - the French model chosen as its also an iconic six axle diesel and this version is quite a new model.

Bachmann top spec 47 - £369.95, discounted - c.£320 (Cheltenham)

Roco CC72000 - €314.90, discounted - c.€283 (Menzels)

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/153/class-47-4-47435-br-blue/35-414sfx

https://www.roco.cc/en/product/247467-0-0_1000_0-2-0-0-0-002003-0/products.html

Even if you drop £30 for the tinted windscreens on the class 47, the Roco model still compares very favourably.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Bad comparison.

Just because they are both 2-10-0s doesn’t mean they are in any way comparable.

Why? You can only compare size and wheel arrangement. You can't compare an 0-6-0T with a large tender loco.

I picked steam because I model steam. Pick a Pacific - it's similar.

All the ones I looked at are a lot more expensive than any UK prototype of similar size and wheel arrangement.

(I'm not saying there aren't more bits and bobs fitted on the European locos.)

Diesels? That's up to you to decide.

26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Agreed, Euro modelling is starting to look a bit more attractive post Brexit.

i’d never have expected that, but I've another two Piko EU07’s coming my way for under £300… for both… taxes & shipping included!

That's  a fine deal you've got there. The latest versions come in around  860 - 870PLN or circa £160 

Compare to a class 87 at around £200

Andy

Not jealous at all

Edited by SM42
Add comparison

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, SM42 said:

That's  a fine deal you've got there. The latest versions come in around  860 - 870PLN or circa £160 

Andy

Not jealous at all

Check out modelbahshop lippe.

they take off German VAT, add on shipping and you pay the UK vat on arrival.

Ive found it overall very competitive to buying here.

ive got two EN57’s ordered from them…. 329 Euro for a 4 car EMU (- minus 22% VAT, + 20% vat and shipping)…all in under £300… how much a Heljan class 104 ?

Gaugemaster wants £410… thats £100 ontop of Pikos RRP!!!

not to make you jealous further my my EU07 is in line for a respray….into that rather well known BR Blue EP07.

EA2F6FBD-944A-4A86-8C23-F8BC7E517BFD.jpeg

5FBF6F6B-8D1C-4260-9775-29E8D3B2165D.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

Been a while since I used MBL. Last time was in person when I was bez Mrs SM42 and I realised how close to the E40 the shop was.

I'm only brave enough to renumber a Cargo version.

I'm buying local in Poznan at the moment. 3 shops to choose from.

Andy

• Like 1

15 hours ago, melmerby said:

Not really comparing apples with apples.

The Roco will have ;

working lights front & rear

close coupling between engine & tender

close coupling on tender

drive on tender & loco wheels

a lot more detail & "plumbing"

may even come with a crew & maybe manufactured in the EU

• Thanks 1

What I find fascinating, or should that be surprising, every time I see one of these videos is just how much human involvement there is in putting it together. 

There are bits that I would expect a machine to do rather than someone with a soldering iron or spray gun

Never fails to amaze and goes some way to explaining why the RRP is where it is.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Why? You can only compare size and wheel arrangement. You can't compare an 0-6-0T with a large tender loco.

I picked steam because I model steam. Pick a Pacific - it's similar.

All the ones I looked at are a lot more expensive than any UK prototype of similar size and wheel arrangement.

(I'm not saying there aren't more bits and bobs fitted on the European locos.)

Diesels? That's up to you to decide.

Simply because the Bachmann 9F is nowhere near the model that the Roco 52 is!

Okay, let’s do steam outline models.

The only British outline Pacific that could even come close in specification to any comparable Roco Pacific might be the Dapol “Black Label” A4. I’ve never had one but I did take an interest at the time because I hoped they might usher in really high quality British steam outline models.

RRP £399

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/black-label/black-label-valanced-a4

Roco class 012 Pacific RRP €424.90

https://www.roco.cc/en/product/251838-0-0-0-0-0-0-002001-0/products.html

NOTE: SIX axle drive! This means there is a cardan shaft between tender and loco transferring power between the two. I assure you this is a superior model.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Simply because the Bachmann 9F is nowhere near the model that the Roco 52 is!

Okay, let’s do steam outline models.

The only British outline Pacific that could even come close in specification to any comparable Roco Pacific might be the Dapol “Black Label” A4. I’ve never had one but I did take an interest at the time because I hoped they might usher in really high quality British steam outline models.

RRP £399

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/black-label/black-label-valanced-a4

Roco class 012 Pacific RRP €424.90

https://www.roco.cc/en/product/251838-0-0-0-0-0-0-002001-0/products.html

NOTE: SIX axle drive! This means there is a cardan shaft between tender and loco transferring power between the two. I assure you this is a superior model.

An interesting comparison indeed. I've always found it strange that a few vocal folk here and elsewhere regard traction tyres as the work of satan, yet on the Continent they're a standard fitting on premium models. Oh yes, and tender drives being in the same situation.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will give this though!

Searching for a British outline steam locomotive that may equal typical Roco quality, I feel this has to be on the radar;

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class/products/copy-of-7801-anthony-manor-gwr-7800?variant=38775683481785

RRP £216.66

A relatively similar model from Roco might be this;

https://www.modellzentrum.de/Modellbahn/Roco/Roco-72108-Dampflok-Rh-209-BBO-II-1-87-H0-.htm?a=article&ProdNr=Roco-72108&p=1037
Price was €369.90 but out of stock. It’s a few years since this was made.

Same number of drivers and carrying wheels but in 2-6-2 formation rather than 4-6-0;

https://www.roco.cc/en/product/245028-0-0-0-0-0-0-002001-0/products.html

RRP €329.90

This all makes the Accurascale Manor an extremely good price, fingers crossed it can finally match Roco quality, reliability and refinement. I do hope so.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

An interesting comparison indeed. I've always found it strange that a few vocal folk here and elsewhere regard traction tyres as the work of satan, yet on the Continent they're a standard fitting on premium models. Oh yes, and tender drives being in the same situation.

Being an HO modeller I have quite a number of loco motives with traction tyres***. The material used for traction tyres fitted to HO locomotives is, as far as I can see different from those fitted to OO models.

Tender drives (even the old 3-pole Flesichmann ones) are far superior to the el-cheapo Limby/Margate ones. (I remember seeing factory layouts from a UK manufacture using Flesichmann tender drives (the red wheels were a bit of a givaway).

***Having said that I tend to replace the traction tyred wheelsets of my diesel & OHE's with plain ones to enhance power pick up.

• Like 1