RMweb

Advice on new DCC system

Dancess

Hi,

I am currently running my layout using a Dynamis system that I bought a number of years ago, my problem is that having about 30 locos, though only about 5 are on the layout at one time, I have to scroll through them all to change control from one to another so is there a way to group locos together or is there a system that has a screen where all locos can be seen so making change over easier? Secondly would I have to reprogram all my locos using a new system?

Many thanks

Im not familiar with the Dynamis at all, but I have a Roco z21 which i control through my samsung galaxy at the moment. Locos are on a list but you can swipe through it quickly, and if i had a bigger touch screen, such as a tablet, clearly I would be able to see more of the loco list at one time. I can toggle from the layout to the loco list. I think the screen size is the key to easier operation.

If you change system you dont have to reprogram the loco itself but you have to add the loco to the database of the new system, using the programming track.

• Agree 1

Another recommendation for the Z21 (there are basically two versions - the black Z21 which is the "full house" & the white z21 which has less features.)

Not everyones cup of tea, especially those who are not keen on touch screens. However, you can operate the Z21 (not too sure about the z21) with a Roco Multimause (wired or wi-fi) or quite a number of other handhead controllers, so you can have the best of both worlds.

A cost effective way to obtain a z21 is to buy a starter set & sell of the European Locomotive & rolling stock.

Another vote for the Z21, as long as you don't mind using a tablet. It is a very well designed system and the Z21 (Black) full fat version will do everything you want and more.

Regards,

John P

• Agree 1

An alternative is a SPROGIII linked to a laptop running JRMI which should show all 30 locos on one screen. This will also link to a tablet or smartphone. You won't need to reprogram the DCC decoders. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, jpendle said:

Another vote for the Z21, as long as you don't mind using a tablet. It is a very well designed system and the Z21 (Black) full fat version will do everything you want and more.

Regards,

John P

As already mentioned you can use a Z21 with conventional handsets, you are not limited to "smart" devices.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, grriff said:

An alternative is a SPROGIII linked to a laptop running JRMI which should show all 30 locos on one screen. This will also link to a tablet or smartphone. You won't need to reprogram the DCC decoders. 

A good alternative & I do use a Sprog/JRMI but I do find it a bit "nerdish" & not as easy to use as other systems.

• Agree 1

I am a recent convert to the Z21. I find it very intuitive to use and very reliable. I use an iPhone and an iPad but also have a WLAN Maus. You would not be disappointed.

On 06/03/2022 at 10:58, SamThomas said:

.......you can operate the Z21 (not too sure about the z21) with a Roco Multimause (wired or wi-fi) or quite a number of other handheld controllers......

There are 2 versions of the white coloured (little z)  z21.

The z21 and z21 Start which differ in the inclusion of WiFi capability in the former.

Both can be used with the wired (tethered) red MultiMaus.

In fact, the z21 Start can only be used with the tethered MultiMaus, as it comes without WiFi capability and cannot be used with smartphones or tablet devices, or the WLAN MultiMaus, unless you buy the optional WiFi add-on package.

The z21Start is only sold as part of Roco digital train sets ("Start Sets").

The z21 comes with WiFi included and therefore can be used with the black coloured WLAN MultiMaus, as well as through the app on smartphones and tablets.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/03/2022 at 10:58, SamThomas said:

......A cost effective way to obtain a z21 is to buy a starter set & sell of the European Locomotive & rolling stock.

Be careful which start set you buy.

Roco sell them with either the z21 Start, or the z21  (note: both are coloured white)

See the above post about the difference.

Both of these can be seen on eBay, brand new and already split from train sets, by retailers and traders.

Splitting train sets is a long established practice and the original source of most of the (now discontinued) MultMaus DCC sets in circulation.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the replies. With having a very limited budget and after looking a various systems I managed to pick up a Signatrak Ace 2 with additional hand controller off Ebay for less than a third of it's new cost. Unit is unmarked and was complete with all manuals, I can now read and write to decoders as a bonus.

• Like 3

On 31/03/2022 at 17:45, Dancess said:

Many thanks for all the replies. With having a very limited budget and after looking a various systems I managed to pick up a Signatrak Ace 2 with additional hand controller off Ebay for less than a third of it's new cost. Unit is unmarked and was complete with all manuals, I can now read and write to decoders as a bonus.

A propos naff all, France being a very big place, I see you are only 50 miles up the road from me!