Mystery locomotive via eBay

Paul H Vigor

Hi guys,

I have another mystery loco for you. It appears to be a Darjeeling Himalayan Railway B-class loco built as a standard gauge (16.5mm gauge) model.

It appears to have some age - build materials include card, some plastic and a surprising amount of wood. It gives the impression of a model based upon John Ahern's Madder Valley Railway DHR B-Class loco? It is, and always was unmotorised (I assume, in service, motive power was provided by another piece of rolling stock?). I suspect it is a survivor from a larger layout featuring similar handbuilt stock? As to build date, I would hazard a guess at the early 1960s? Does anyone recognise it or can shed any light?

TIA

Paul.

s-l1600 (49).jpg

s-l1600 (50).jpg

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Thats not Madder valley material, is it?

Must say, I did wonder. I can't lay my hands on my Ahern loco building book to check what materials he recommended using. It's either Madder Valley, or it's a model by A.N. Other, inspired by Ahern?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Thats not Madder valley material, is it?

It's a well thought out model, built by someone who knew what they were doing. Although it's unpowered, it's got some impressive motion (functional on one side, needs some attention on the other). Turned, wooden chimney. Has glazed spectacles, and a lovely, tiny, handmade fireman's shovel in the bunker.

Just a thought: the 4mm scale driver and fireman on the footplate appear slightly underscale for the loco? Possibly an early example of 5.5mm scale on 16.5mm gauge?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The Darjeeling Himalaya doesnt abbreviate to BR, and I don't think BR is British Railways or even the Barry Railway.

It's a rather charming little model.

A fictional locomotive for a fictional railway. I suspect it was contemporary with Ahern's Madder Valley, question is: was anything published in the railway press at the time? I would love to discover who owned/built this loco.

• 9 months later...
On 06/03/2022 at 12:28, Paul H Vigor said:

Hi guys,

I have another mystery loco for you. It appears to be a Darjeeling Himalayan Railway B-class loco built as a standard gauge (16.5mm gauge) model.

It appears to have some age - build materials include card, some plastic and a surprising amount of wood. It gives the impression of a model based upon John Ahern's Madder Valley Railway DHR B-Class loco? It is, and always was unmotorised (I assume, in service, motive power was provided by another piece of rolling stock?). I suspect it is a survivor from a larger layout featuring similar handbuilt stock? As to build date, I would hazard a guess at the early 1960s? Does anyone recognise it or can shed any light?

TIA

Paul.

s-l1600 (49).jpg

s-l1600 (50).jpg

s-l1600 (49).jpg

s-l1600 (50).jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, cypherman said:

It is a charming little model and deserves to be put right. Perhaps now, with much smaller motors available, you might be able to motorize it. Or perhaps use a dummy motorized coal truck to push/pull it. What ever it needs saving.

If the motion can be freed up, I think I would go for a powered 'tender' option? It's missing a smokebox-mounted headlamp, but given the historic fabric of the loco, any restorations would have to be reversable.

8 hours ago, hayfield said:

What an interesting item and a tribute to making the most out of materials to hand

It's almost John Ahern before Ahern started working in metals? I'm still not sure what, if any, scale its modelled to - the driver is a 4mm figure who looks a little short?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 1

Value gear looks very familiar as I've a few sets complete or in bits purchased at toy fairs ( in scrap boxes etc)20221219_231144.jpg.55fae0b813277433613007ea8c2244ee.jpg

No idea whose they are, I've box of bits containing pins, bars, side links etc and been using them on small 0-4-0 tank locos. In some of  the boxes &  old tobacco tins etc I have  found complete sets, and broken sets plus unfinished sets. 

Seems to be a lot of spares about recently north west England found box of loco tyres, wheels axles, plain bearing,  loco frames, side screws for frames, pins, white metal buffers, valves, chimneys, motor parts, bushes etc

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

I looked at it and thought the same but I am not aware of any reference to a loco such as this.

Malcolm

To me it looks like an Indian loco and am I correct it may have been a subject in either a book or an article in a Model Railway magazine in the mid 20th century. To me it seems to use items readily available at a time of austerity 

To clarify when referring to myself not being aware of any reference to a loco such as this I should have added "in the articles and book on Craigshire and the C&MR by P D Hancock".  You may be correct there may well have been an article by someone else.   It does vaguely look familiar.

Malcolm