Hornby R3828 'Aberdonian Carriages Derailing Easily

latestarter

Carriages I got in the Hornby R3828 'Aberdonian' train pack, are derailing easily, and the bogies will not 'sit' on the track well. I wondered if anyone had heard of this issue, and might offer a solution.

Thanks for any suggestions.

20220314_143752.jpg

20220314_144012.jpg

Sorry to hear you are having issues. I have this train pack and haven't experienced any issues. Are all of your coaches derailing or just one or two of them, and do the derailments happen in the same place on the track? Do you have other Mark 1 coaches from Hornby that you can use to check it isn't an issue with the track? Have you checked that all of the wheels are sitting properly in the bogies, on both sides? Sometimes they come out of place in transit which might lead to the derailments and the coaches no sitting properly.....

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

Sorry to hear you are having issues. I have this train pack and haven't experienced any issues. Are all of your coaches derailing or just one or two of them, and do the derailments happen in the same place on the track? Do you have other Mark 1 coaches from Hornby that you can use to check it isn't an issue with the track? Have you checked that all of the wheels are sitting properly in the bogies, on both sides? Sometimes they come out of place in transit which might lead to the derailments and the coaches no sitting properly.....

It may be only one coach, but I need to double check. It happens on curves but in different places. I've got a couple of older coaches, but nothing comparable to check them against. I'll check the wheels but I didn't know anything obviously out of place. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by latestarter

• RMweb Gold

The first thing that springs to mind is that the back-to-back measurement of the wheels might be out - its not unknown for them to come fo9rm the factory wrong.

The distance between the backs of the wheels should be 14.5mm, if you can measure it. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Metal back-to-back gauges are not expensive on eBay (probably also available in other places).

I was sceptical at first, but has been worth while, fixing the back-to-back has cured repeat derailments in the majority of cases.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been having trouble buying a back-to-back gauge in Ireland, the postage from the UK can be prohibitive. I'll have another look. I did try and check the swivel on the the bogie. It seems to be ok.

Edited by latestarter

9 hours ago, latestarter said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been having trouble buying a back-to-back gauge in Ireland, the postage from the UK can be prohibitive. I'll have another look. I did try and check the swivel on the the bogie. It seems to be ok.

If you can't get a back-to-back gauge, a digital caliper (or similar) works just as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've sent for a back-to-back gauge on eBay. it's a sheet of green plastic with a cut out to the correct width of the back-to-back gap. I got this because it was much less expensive for the postage (which can be £20+ to Ireland, for even small items).

In the meantime, I noticed that the axle on the rear set of wheels in the rear bogie of one of the carriages, had slipped out of its retaining hole in the bogie. I re-seated it it and it's running better now. I'll check all the back-to-backs when the plastic cut out arrives!

1 hour ago, latestarter said:

In the meantime, I noticed that the axle on the rear set of wheels in the rear bogie of one of the carriages, had slipped out of its retaining hole in the bogie.

That alone would be enough to caus derailments, as the bogie probably isn't sitting four-square on its wheels.

A simple test for that is to stand it onto a sheet of glass and see if it rocks.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1