Scotrail 158713 on the 15:51 "Invernet" service from Invergordon to Inverness on 10/08/22. I can remember these units coming into service in the Aberdeen/Inverness area in the early 1990's, where has time gone? 

Ken

20220810_165155.jpg

• Like 7

Bit of a sneaky question, but as this thread is by people who like them, does anyone have an N gauge model of one and can tell me the bogie centres and bogie wheelbase please? I need a chassis with fairly long bogie centres for an H0e railcar and the 156/8 might be suitable!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Bit of a sneaky question, but as this thread is by people who like them, does anyone have an N gauge model of one and can tell me the bogie centres and bogie wheelbase please? I need a chassis with fairly long bogie centres for an H0e railcar and the 156/8 might be suitable!

Dapol 156 comes out at approx 17mm wheelbase on 108mm centres

Unbranded Central Trains real thing, so back OT....

156404.JPG.9fecac3fab7215098dcd55309ac51a25.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ok, if you look carefully, you should be able to see 158740 in the yard at Montrose, before operating the 13:48 service to Inverurie. 

A return to more normal Scottish summer weather today....

There's still a good-sized yard at Montrose, although it's pretty overgrown, and I can't think of any recent freight traffic. Still preferable to the situation at the other end of 158740's trip, where the track has been lifted in most if not all of the yard at Inverurie. 

Ken

20220822_132625.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Running on the chord that links the old MR line to the ECML by the flat crossing at Newark, but I don't think the destination blind is correct, a 153 from Lincoln - Peterborough via Newark and Grantham?

Possibly about to form a Newark - Peterborough via Lincoln and Sleaford...

153376_4a.JPG.bda68dd3cd16dfb2f20ae2e9e50dabfa.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

Running on the chord that links the old MR line to the ECML by the flat crossing at Newark, but I don't think the destination blind is correct, a 153 from Lincoln - Peterborough via Newark and Grantham?

Possibly about to form a Newark - Peterborough via Lincoln and Sleaford...

153376_4a.JPG.bda68dd3cd16dfb2f20ae2e9e50dabfa.JPG

Well they did run an Aberystwyth-Grimsby service at one point, so were no strangers to unusual workings.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that there was a daily Nottingham - Newark - Lincoln - Peterborough through train. Basically a Nottingham- Lincoln and Lincoln - Peterborough that were joined together. 

It will be accessing Newark Northgate and then reversing to rejoin the Lincoln line, back when a large proportion of trains on this line did that maneuver. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember when Regional Railways started a lot of long distance sprinter and super-sprinter services and the moaning from many railway publications and enthusiasts about the madness of using two car DMUs for such long routes. They didn't really consider the possibility that for the most part just joining up separate services, that very few people were going to use them as an end - end service but there may well have been people for whom a direct service was much preferred to having to use connecting services.

4 hours ago, great central said:

Last few weeks on the Skeggies for these old chariots which will soon be off for a new life with Northern to be replaced by 170s, a type unsuited to the work in my opinion

156406 and 470 forming the 11.14 Skegness-Nottingham 

20220825_111143.jpg.a20f78ce6038180c50a63d9ddffbc718.jpg

Central Trains often used their 170s up that way. Given the 170s have air-conditioning and its more reliable than that on 158s, may I ask why the 170s are unsuited to the work?

Most travellers would consider them a step up from a 156.

2 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Central Trains often used their 170s up that way. Given the 170s have air-conditioning and its more reliable than that on 158s, may I ask why the 170s are unsuited to the work?

Most travellers would consider them a step up from a 156.

Where to start? 20 year old air con is unreliable and no opening windows as back up. Air con as a whole principle is bad in my book, after some hours breathing the same air all I want is fresh air. Spent a couple of nights in a new Premier Inn a few years ago, no opening windows, I was outside at 2 in the morning gasping for fresh air!

Less seats per unit, less luggage space, shared bike and wheelchair spaces rather than dedicated. No walk through with units in multi, all of which makes them difficult from front line staff point of view.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I remember when Regional Railways started a lot of long distance sprinter and super-sprinter services and the moaning from many railway publications and enthusiasts about the madness of using two car DMUs for such long routes. They didn't really consider the possibility that for the most part just joining up separate services, that very few people were going to use them as an end - end service but there may well have been people for whom a direct service was much preferred to having to use connecting services.

The only problem was on services like Crewe-Skegness. I remember sitting in a single car 153 as it trundled its way eastwards from Crewe, picking up and dropping off handfuls of people along the way (even at Stoke). It was then full to bursting on the Derby-Nottingham-Grantham bit, and then left Grantham virtually empty. So almost empty for the whole journey, except for the bit where people actually wanted to use it.