S15 questions

spikey

I'd rather like to have an S15 but I really don't want to buy one and then have issues with its motor.  Is it pot luck with all of them irrespective of part number and year of manufacture, or are some reckoned to be OK?

If a secondhand one runs more or less continuously for an hour or so on DC without slowing down or emitting Magic Smoke, could that be taken as a sign that the motor's a good 'un, or is there a better way of testing?

And am I correct in believing that the only Southern olive one they did was R3327 (running number 824)?

• RMweb Gold

Quality issues do appear to be somewhat “hit and miss” with certain products, however the motors of my three “Goods Arthurs” are excellent.

One engine (the last purchased) did lose an expansion link pivot pin after purchase and was returned; strangely the replacement engine did the same thing but as it was a relatively straightforward job, I decided to fix it myself with an “N” gauge track pin. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Right Away said:

Quality issues do appear to be somewhat “hit and miss” with certain products, however the motors of my three “Goods Arthurs” are excellent.

One engine (the last purchased) did lose an expansion link pivot pin after purchase and was returned; strangely the replacement engine did the same thing but as it was a relatively straightforward job, I decided to fix it myself with an “N” gauge track pin. 

Similar to this?😒

20220330_165458.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Touch wood, none of my several S15s have any issues at all. Brilliant runners all and possibly one of the best from Hornby for consistency with that lovely flywheels set up. DCC  fitted and all about 4 years old +? 

Don't run that much though.

p

• Thanks 1