Couplings (and uncoupling) in N gauge: Advice Sought

I have just started constructing a small modern image N gauge layout, details here: Mercia Wagon Repair  . As a life-long OO modeller I know what's what in 4mm pretty well. However I'm a bit of a blank sheet of paper when it comes to N

This will be a shunting layout. I am faintly aware that the standard N gauge "Rapido" coupling is not regarded as great for shunting, as well as being big and unsightly

Dapol offer an Easifit magnetic knuckle coupling as a replacement . All the locos and almost all the wagons have NEM pockets, so this seems a viable option. In 4mm I use Kadees and Sprat and Winkles. I'm aware there is an N gauge Kadee.

The Dapol coupllings are described as magnetic. I have some spare Sprat and Winkle uncoupling magnets - are these any use with Dapol couplers or is something quite different required? If so , what and where are they sourced?

I am likely to lay the first track shortly, so would like to know what I can /can't incorporate by way of magnets under the track.

Grateful for your comments/assistance

Edited by Ravenser
Flagging that I need advicxe

• Ravenser changed the title to Couplings (and uncoupling) in N gauge: Advice Sought
  • RMweb Gold

Personally I've found that Dapol couplings won't fit in Farish NEM pockets. Since others have fitted them, some modification would seem to be required but I don't know what.

The "N gauge Kadee" is Microtrains. They aren't compatible with NEM pockets.

I believe Dapol produce the necessary magnets. Dapol couplings can also be uncoupled manually using the Rix Products tool intended for Microtrains couplers. N Scale American Trains of Harrow sell these (or did).

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Personally I've found that Dapol couplings won't fit in Farish NEM pockets. Since others have fitted them, some modification would seem to be required but I don't know what.

The "N gauge Kadee" is Microtrains. They aren't compatible with NEM pockets.

I believe Dapol produce the necessary magnets. Dapol couplings can also be uncoupled manually using the Rix Products tool intended for Microtrains couplers. N Scale American Trains of Harrow sell these (or did).

Thanks for this

May I ask which Farish items you tried them with? The key models for me will be a Farish 04 and 57 - otherwise most of my small current collection  of models are Dapo.  (The VBA and VGA will need to have the current mounts removed and Dapol NEM pockets fitted - it doesn't look an especially challenging job)

As Microtrains appear to be relatively difficult to source in Britain, and will be difficult to fit, I think I can now eliminate them.

Some positive news on the magnet front. As the Boxfile has several buried Sprat and Winkle magnets (which see little use) and as I use Kadee fitted stock on Blacklade I tried the obvious experiment... The Kadees do indeed open and seperate over the Sprat and Winkle magnet. The S+W magnets are too small to be sensible for use in 4mm, but should be ok for N  (I am hoping to lay a little track this weekend and that would include one obvious location for an uncoupler. Hence my interest in what I can use from my stockbox without waiting for mail order )

The chaps who did Barton Road used 3mm x 3mm rare earth magnets which they swear by.

I ordered some last week from Amazon but they have gone missing in the delivery process otherwise I could have given you my own feedback on their application.  I expect the package is stuck to the side of a delivery van somewhere 😄

I’ve also a load of Dapol Easi shunts to fit to my Farish coaches and locos inc an 04.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The big problem with Dapol/Farish NEM pockets is purely a size discrepancy. Farish pockets are slightly smaller than Dapol ones (although they've standardised them a bit more on recent releases). As such a Dapol coupling is a very tight fit in a Farish NEM pocket - basically it'll distort the pocket rather than actually 'locating' as per the design. Conversely a Farish coupling in a Dapol pocket can be quite baggy, but obviously less of an issue.

A couple of sweeps of a file on a Dapol coupling will make it fit better, the 'pips' on the side are the primary culprit.

They're probably the best option (or at least the most common) coupling for N gauge shunting with UK stock (ie where you have NEM pockets). MicroTrains are good, the Z-scale ones are more compact too, but as said they don't do a NEM version.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I bought a number of the Dapol knuckle couplers as they seemed to be similar to Microtrains but with NEM pocket fittings. However I discovered that the NEM standard height is not the same as Microtrains (presumably NMRA) standard height. I wanted to run some wagons with Microtrains Archbar trucks intermixed with European two axle wagons converted with Dapol knuckles. Some Fleischmann/Old Roco wagons not fitted with NEM pockets could fit Microtrains conversion kits to create 'adapter' wagons (Rapido/NEM at one end and Microtrains at the other) but that isn't very flexible for freight train operations! I find Microtrains knuckle kits very fiddly with the tiny springs flying everywhere except where the should go!