GWR 101 Class - Hornby R2665

rynd2it

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JimC said:

Also begs the question of whether it would be advisable to recreate something that was demonstrably not that great in the first place. 

Fair point, but you wouldn't have to make it a carbon copy-I'm sure a conventional firebox could be used without massively changing the look of the original.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimC said:

Also begs the question of whether it would be advisable to recreate something that was demonstrably not that great in the first place. 

Not that great, in the bottom 1%.  They probably never sorted it and scrapped it as soon as they possibly could.   A replica could probably be made using a Narrow gauge loco boiler  but its a bad design, most 0-4-0T locos have the firebox behind, not above, the rear axle, I suspect 101 was designed for speeds greater than the usual 30mph terrifyingly unstable max of most 0-4-0s which in itself is why so many industrial 0-4-0s are out of use. They are unpleasant to ride on at Light railway speeds and lack power.  Like the railmotors they can manage the off peak trains which aren't really worth running, but can't manage the weekend trains which make money.  Enter the 14XX.  Enough power for 150 tons or 5 mk 1s, and as economical on one coach as an 0-4-0 (or railmotor)   101 was a flawed example of a flawed design.   Mind you a diesel powered replica might be a different kettle of pollock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby chassis used in 101 is also under several other prototype based locos.

All the bodies seem to be based on reality, the chassis is just something cheap to make them go

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A shame. perhaps, that H have never produced this loco as Queen Mary in this livery, alsways having used it as a generic starter set 0-4-0 in all sorts of liveries; I suspect some of the liveries never existed, never mind not having been ever applied to a Dowlais.  I can see why they chose this fairly obscure prototype, though, it's an 0-4-0 without delicate outside motion and therefore pretty robust and easy for a typical child starter layour owner to re-rail, but looks like a bigger tank engine, with the Belpaire and the small cab cutout enhancing the apparent size. 

Not particularly difficult to work up, the main problem being the boiler washout plugs, but the scarcity of worked up models is no doubt a reflection of the prototype's 'niche' appeal.  TTBOMK nobody's ever taken on Dowlais steelworks as a layout, though it was a fascinating place and well worth modelling.

• Like 1

The Hornby 101 was introduced in 1978 and currently runs to 38 livery variations publicly released not including different running numbers, catalogue numbers or paint finishes.  Plus one special publicity model.

Did once collect them all but then sold the lot. Fun ...!

On 20/04/2022 at 02:38, The Johnster said:

The prototype had outside Joy valve gear which is not represented on the Hornby model.  AFAIK nobody else has ever produced this loco in RTR or kit form.

It was copied by a far Eastern cloning factory to be the loco in a cheap train set. The body was scaled up to O gauge and the gauge by the same amount, making it a useless 29mm or so. It is battery powered, the on/off switch being the chimney cap, and it has a headlight. This set had a couple of V tipping wagons, the other had a green loco and a US style stock car.

FB_IMG_1651005367408.jpg.a74a081ef877cef8af9f58c6c836e11a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

40 minutes ago, 298 said:

It was copied by a far Eastern cloning factory to be the loco in a cheap train set. The body was scaled up to O gauge and the gauge by the same amount, making it a useless 29mm or so. It is battery powered, the on/off switch being the chimney cap, and it has a headlight. This set had a couple of V tipping wagons, the other had a green loco and a US style stock car.

FB_IMG_1651005367408.jpg.a74a081ef877cef8af9f58c6c836e11a.jpg

Wow, that's great and cheapo! Surely the wheels can be each pushed out a mil and a bit to make it usable? Or, failing that, replace the axles with some hard wire to correct gauge?

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2022 at 02:17, Halvarras said:

PS then there's the 'Tolgus Tin Redruth' version - odd livery but desirable as I was born there - 'Truro' may yet get a shelf buddy 😀

I was thinking this may take a couple of years, maybe longer - if ever. Not a couple of weeks! But a near mint one came up at a price I couldn't ignore, so.... 'Truro', meet your new shelf buddy!

485327188_WP_20220507_14_25_20_Pro(2).jpg.79f4caf5ea4c167fbc005fee7d0906f9.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm thinking is about time someone produced a detailing kit for these models, something to turn it into a more accurate representation of the original, at least below the running plate. Whatever it's shortcomings, it's an attractive little engine.

• Like 2