Greyscroft Mine - Cleveland Ironstone in 1955. EM gauge.

Worsdell forever

Thanks guys, glad you like my efforts. Can't believe myself how good the allotment is! cool.gifcool.gif

Yeah, those onions look more like onions than the ones growing in my garden!! Excellent work.

• RMweb Gold

The Middlesbrough Show thread seems to have died, so I'll say it here - this was head and shoulders the best layout there. Once Paul had finished hitting it with a pair of pliers I spent a very pleasing half hour or so in total watching it. Don't take a magnifying glass, though - you'll need a telescope to see some of the detail on there. Once he's worked his way right across it at that standard it's going to be a real stunner.

Yes we did have a few problems with the heat in that room and the rails expanding! need to open up the gaps a bit more. Anyway thanks for the comment Jonathan, not sure if everyone gets into the smaller rooms though.

Arthur, when they're ready I'll let you have a couple. smile3.gif

Had an interesting conversation with an ex-Middlesbrough driver on Sunday who worked the Ironstone turns, very good.

• RMweb Gold

A few photos I took on Saturday at Middlesbrough.

General view of the goods yard, probably the first time for one of my layouts, more RTR than kitbuilt! the high steel has just had it's wheels re-gauged but they need to be replaced as I discovered that they are far too thick.

post-7104-0-10834900-1306188926_thumb.jpg

Latest loco, G5 67240 ready to depart with a train in the Whitby direction. It ran well for it's first outing, although the leading drivers were touching the splashers and shorting a bit, this was sorted at the shed on Saturday night.

post-7104-0-57786300-1306188928_thumb.jpg

Regular Greyscroft Mine shunter, J72 68690 awaits it's next duty as the crew rest.

post-7104-0-98380400-1306188931_thumb.jpg

Greyscroft Mill.

post-7104-0-82901300-1306188934_thumb.jpg

Just messing about with this one.

post-7104-0-22357500-1306188922_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

One man went to mow...

As it's early summer grass needs to be mown.

The Lye (scythe to many of you) is made from a bit of waste brass for the blade and the Snaith (shaft) is a length of .9mm brass wire and the Nibs (handles) are .7mm. The Mowman is one of the new figures from Pete Goss, I have modified him to raise his left arm to hold the lye. He will eventually be found walking down the road on board 5 just beyond the mill.

and yes, he may get a dog...

post-7104-0-40634500-1312062307_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-59625300-1312062351_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Part of the inspiration for the Mowman scene is the photo near the top of this page which appeared in the book 'Life and Traditions in the Moorlands of North East Yorkshire'. The photo was taken in about 1900 at Lealholmside, about 4 miles from where I live. The Lye in the photo is set up for mowing corn with a loop to direct the corn (and it is quite large) but it is the kind of scene I'm trying to recreate.

Guest oldlugger

I've been watching this layout since you first started posting about it Paul. Your work has always been top notch and you've ended up with a cracking layout! Very realistic indeed...

All the best

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Work will start again here in the next few days but for a little taster, here's something I started a while ago. It will be fixed to one of the legs and somehow I'll have to cut a hole in the curtain. The horse will have a 'driver' and the box will have a perspex front.

(Isn't this how they film moles for the telly? :scratchhead: )

post-7104-0-75254000-1332016966.jpg

and a bit brighter.

post-7104-0-61629800-1332016976.jpg

And no mention of pies, parsnips, 37's of 56's...

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So, the next job here is to add some detail to the mine yard. Looking at photos in books these were very cluttered places, mostly made up of props (timber and H/channel section steel) tubs, head wheels, tubs, scrap, bits of haulage engine, tubs and props.

I think I'll be making quite a few tubs, probably 8 or 10.

End view of a Tub in Lumpsey Mine.

Lumpsey Mine yard (1905).

The mine yard.

Left.

post-7104-0-98754400-1333664419.jpg

Right.

post-7104-0-21035900-1333664410.jpg

And this is what it's all about. This is a lump of Cleveland Main Seam ironstone, it's not very big but it weighs a little over 7Kg. In it's 'fresh' state it is a kind of greeny grey colour, this bit has gone a bit rusty from being in a stream for a hundred or so years.

post-7104-0-33273500-1333664467.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I just know that it will look fantastic when you've added all the detail Paul *; you are the master of creating cameo scenes that don't look over-cluttered and are not cliched.

* it already does

That 1905 picture is full of atmosphere.

I hope you're not expecting the conveyor to handle lumps of ironstone that big!

I'm aiming of getting some bits for it at York tomorrow.

Cheers

Mike

Ah, I was going to mention that Mike... :O

If you want it to handle lumps of ironstone that big, you're going to have to make the hole in the backscene a lot bigger... :scratchhead:

Hopefully Eileens will have the brass section by scalefour north, I ordered it today.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

First J39 of the class 1448, when nearly new, derailed (!) at Lumpsey mine. Yeadon mentions a repair but not the seriousness of the incident, this is not even mentioned in the accidents section.

The cranes look like ex NER Cravens 25t and are probably 901637 from Darlington and 901638 from Middlesbrough shed (now preserved). (Railway Breakdown Cranes - Peter Tatlow).

J39 Derailed - 1.

J39 Derailed - 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK, so I was going to be detailing the mine site but I came up with an idea for a little detail for the mill. The mill has some land with it and the miller keeps a small amount of livestock, some sheep, a few cattle and some pigs, most farmers and smallholders in days gone by killed and butchered a pig or two themselves, the carcase was prepared on a 'pig creel' like this. Made from plastic strip with a piece of .9mm wire for the roller.

post-7104-0-55362800-1334871251.jpg

Archived