CLASS 35 LIGHTS

paul 27

Want to change the filament bulbs to Leds  was thinking 3mm marker lights,  5mm head code

both 12v warm white,  would you need resistors or are they on the circuit board.

Edited by paul 27

I too was less than impressed with the Heljan lights set up on the Hymek .

I spoke to Jason Edmunds who makes /sells the Stickswipe lighting kits on Ebay .

He made me custom made lighting boards complete with resistors. 

The front of the chassis needed a little bit of surgery but the results are great .

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/05/2022 at 09:52, Albie the plumber said:

I too was less than impressed with the Heljan lights set up on the Hymek .

I spoke to Jason Edmunds who makes /sells the Stickswipe lighting kits on Ebay .

He made me custom made lighting boards complete with resistors. 

The front of the chassis needed a little bit of surgery but the results are great .

Do you have any pictures does he provide any insructions how to cut  the chassis.

22 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Do you have any pictures does he provide any insructions how to cut  the chassis.

No he doesn't,  at least not with the Hymek. 

This is because I made my own template from plasticard to fit in the headcode space andgave him the essential measurements I.e.length, width , distance between red and white lights , etc. He then made them for me .

Give me a few days and I will open one up to show you what to cut through some pics 

• Like 1

As BernardTPM said above, lighting on first gen diesels was very dim

Unless you're planning on running your model in the dark then, from scale viewing distance, if you can see they're lit they're too bright!

As an example of how dim marker lights actually were, l once hit a cow at 50mph with a 101, at about 3am in pitch dark. l saw from about 3 yards away!

And headcodes were worse still, with only the characters showing through what were effectively blackout blinds.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hopefully,  these pics give you an idea of how much metal needs to be removed .

The old bulbs and lighting conduit are binned.

The lighting boards that were made for me fit nicely into a recess that forms part of the cab desk .

The wires leaving the board are taped to the underside of the cab moulding .

All you have to do then is to connect wires into the circuit board or as in my case , bin the circuit board and hard wire to the decoder .

You may have to specify if the loco is to run on analogue or digital when ordering. 

20220528_144044.jpg

20220528_144112.jpg

20220528_144444.jpg

20220528_144513.jpg