Lyme Regis branch (LSWR)

KeithMacdonald

45 minutes ago, Tobbes said:

Many thanks! I like the look of the station building... I presume it's a scratchbuilt item? Many congratulations to the modeller if so!

Yes, there are some details in one of the Facebook posts: https://www.facebook.com/groups/uplymevillagenoticeboard/permalink/7044139552275043/?app=fbl

A very talented scratch builder. 

I have no connection with the project but am fairly local so happen to have seen it reported on and hoping to see it some day. I'm guessing it is currently on display somewhere in Axminster but not 100% sure. 

Edited by Beacon
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tobbes said:

Thanks, that's very helpful - I don't know anything about engineering wagons. Are Herrings available in OO RTR?

I have no clue about models sorry if you look up herring , dogfish etc loads of info will turn up

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Tobbes said:

Thanks, that's very helpful - I don't know anything about engineering wagons. Are Herrings available in OO RTR?

There arnt any ready-to-run, but Cambrian do make a kit. I've not built that particular one, but based on others from Cambrian, it should be fairly straightforward. 

• Agree 1

On 18/01/2024 at 19:59, JohnR said:

Its worth pointing out that there was originally a link from the branch into the goods yard on the south of the station, that would have allowed for more direct through traffic, but it seems it was actually little used in the early days and was removed about 1915.

Yes, that link does appear on the OS map. If I ever build an "Uxminster" layout (a fictionalised version with a mysterious GWR-joint working), I'll keep that link on the south side, as it makes operations so much simpler.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.0&lat=50.77756&lon=-3.00545&layers=168&b=1

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

That Community layout is quite good fun, however it is definitely a 'Train Set' layout that can be enjoyed by many. Definitely a hit with youngsters and older folk that may remember the Line, but know little or care little about scale, realistic Stock, workings and Rivets!

If that's what you want that's fine, but I reckon Keith and many of us would like to be a tad more into creating as accurate a representation as possible, with stuff done according to our ability and wishes to recreate the actual places? 

Now I feel guilty for being a bit critical.

Sorry

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Tobbes I have sent you a PM. If you live anywhere near Retford or Donny this is where the Book resides.

The book with stuff about the Lyme Branch is South West Railwayman by Donald King. 

He was a Porter then Porter Signalman at Lyme and then a relief Signalman in the area. 

50 pages of the book are about Lyme. 

Keith et al, there is a pic of an Ivatt Tank on a full GOODS! Blows me never seeing a pic, right out of the Bay then!

Loads of lovely anecdotes and useful pics.

I'm offering it to loan to Tobbes and then if anyone would like to borrow it then just ask.

It is a 1983 Book so maybe lost forever. I got mine from a Charity Shop.

I am sure you all have decent Books but I'll find some more and mention them if they have useful Pictures.

Finally, having been rude about the Community Layout, the existing/late(?) Lyme Regis Exhibition Layout is/was EM I think, but I think the owner may have recently passed?

Worth asking around about it? Special Interests...Southern section?

Sincerely

Phil  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The book with stuff about the Lyme Branch is South West Railwayman by Donald King. 

Phil and Co,

I assume that you are all aware of "From Devon to Dorset - The story of the Lyme Regis Branch" by Martin Smith and George Reeve, Published by Railway Bylines ?If you are all aware and have already discussed then please accept my apologies. When we lived in Fovant, Wiltshire our friends next door had a lovely appartment in Lyme so we spent some time down there. I managed to enthuse our non model railway friends (He was a Consultant clinical Psychologist but not too bad...) into being keen researchers about the branch.

The book is full B&W images and has track/signalling plans for each station. Good luck with the idea.

Kind regards,

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

54 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Tobbes I have sent you a PM. If you live anywhere near Retford or Donny this is where the Book resides.

He was a Porter then Porter Signalman at Lyme and then a relief Signalman in the area. 

50 pages of the book are about Lyme. 

Keith et al, there is a pic of an Ivatt Tank on a full GOODS! Blows me never seeing a pic, right out of the Bay then!

Loads of lovely anecdotes and useful pics.

I'm offering it to loan to Tobbes and then if anyone would like to borrow it then just ask.

It is a 1983 Book so maybe lost forever. I got mine from a Charity Shop.

I am sure you all have decent Books but I'll find some more and mention them if they have useful Pictures.

Finally, having been rude about the Community Layout, the existing/late(?) Lyme Regis Exhibition Layout is/was EM I think, but I think the owner may have recently passed?

Worth asking around about it? Special Interests...Southern section?

Sincerely

Phil  

PM replied - most grateful, Phil. I do have a copy which is, er, "in a safe place" so will keep looking for it. :)

For those who are interested, here's my current understanding of what happened at Axminster on Fri/Sat/Sun 12/13/14 Aug 60. Some obvious Rule 1s - most obviously the inclusion of the Devon Belle - but also some railtours that happened at other times (thanks to Six Bells Junction) and the ballast train that we've discussed above which actually ran on 10 Apr 60 in for the sake of it.

The key sources. in addition to 'From Devon to Dorset' have been the 1960 WTT, the 1959 and 1961 CWNs with Hugh Longworth's excellent books on pregrouping and Mk 1s, and the SrEMG coaching sets database, along with the Xpress Books "District Controller" series for the loco diagrams. And the wonderful 'Southwestern Railwayman' that @Mallard60022 mentions above.

This has led to some guesswork - if someone has the 1960 CWN, I'd be enormously grateful.

What is most surprising to me is the sheer amount of rolling stock that was involved (and how little it was used on an annual basis) - very few sets appear on the layout twice in the course of a day. Oh, and the pratfalls of picking a date an then realising that the AWS fitting and speedo fitting for the MNs was on going (along with replacing the early emblem with the late) and the rebuilding of the WC/BBs (again with all four AWS/Speedo combinations) and the additional joy of high / low rave tenders being shuffled about amongst the non-rebuilt WC/BBs. (I've been compiling a gazateer if anyone's interested).

Hope this is interesting - and I'd be delighted for corrections!

Axminster Public.xlsx

Edited by Tobbes
  • Like 2