London Road Models MR/LMS/BR 4mm Creosote Tank Wagon kit

Jol Wilkinson

Introduced by the Midland Railway in 1893, several of these Coal Tar/Creosote tank wagons lasted into early BR days.

The kit includes a turned tube "tank", half etched riveted overlays tank supports, etc. and cast whitemetal underframe and tank ends.

Priced at £30:00, the kit is available from London Road Models  at  londonroadmodels@btinternet.com. (although the kit is not yet listed on the website!)

MR Creosote tank 2.jpg

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

I see the wagon has grease boxes, which would presumably have been replaced at some point in LMS days, if not before? Does the kit have alternative oil boxes? If not, how easy is it to replace them, please?

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

I see the wagon has grease boxes, which would presumably have been replaced at some point in LMS days, if not before? Does the kit have alternative oil boxes? If not, how easy is it to replace them, please?

Not necessarily (although obviously possibly).  Grease boxes on wagons definitely lasted into BR days with various Instructions relating to them continuing well into the 1950s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cwmtwrch said:

I don't know. I only saw the boxed kits for the first time at ExpoEM and they were all sold before I even had a chance to look at the contents or instructions. I did manage to take the photo above at the end of play on Saturday.

I haven't been involved at all with the development of that kit for LRM as my interests lie with the LNWR.

An email to John Redrup  at LRM will provide a more definitive reply, through londonroadmodels@btinternet.com, further to Stationmaster Mike's answer above.

• Like 1

Usually bauxite/red oxide in service. ISTR there was one at Dinting in the 1970s which was later at the K&WVR, then Barrow Hill. No idea where it is now.

This says grease axleboxes.

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=6447

They survived very late in the day and the later version with the steel underframe was still about until very recently. Linked as there might be some useful info.

I have a feeling some of the tanks were placed on new chassis.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmstank

Make your own mind up on axleboxes as they seem to have different types. Readily available from your regular axlebox suppliers if the ones supplied aren't correct for the era you want. I'm sure something from 51L or Dart Castings will be suitable.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As built, in a photographic livery:

64643.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of Midland Railway Study Centre item 64643.]

Midland Style has nothing to say on colour, though I suspect that as service stock allocated to the Locomotive Department* they were probably oxide of iron like cranes, match wagons, etc. with black for ironwork below solebar level. However, John Redrup told me that the instructions include notes from original research, which I look forward to reading. I also gather that the designer made use of the original drawings 866 and 866A in the Midland Railway Study Centre collection.

*At least, that was the case for the 18 creosote tank wagons extant at the end of 1884 (before the date of this type) according to MR Carriage & Wagon Committee minute 1814 [TNA RAIL 491/253]. 

I too wasn't early enough at ExpoEM so have one on order.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MartinM said:

I have one on order too....

John gave two reasons why he'd only brought ten kits to ExpoEM: 1. he hadn't expected it to sell, what with it being unannounced; and 2. he'd got fed up turning the tube for the tank to length... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, MartinM said:

mine turned up yesterday in a big box looks good.... 

Likewise. The prototype information is intriguing. I'm not convinced it entirely squares with the information I have but the writer has read the two HMRS Journal articles which I'm afraid I haven't. I'm in two minds about the grey livery rather than oxide of iron. The separate number series is anomalous, since all other departmental vehicles - crane match trucks, ballast wagons, ballast brakes - were numbered in the general wagon series, or brake van series:

RFB31268.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue image of Midland Railway Study Centre Item 31268.]