RMweb

Manning Wardle Old Class I Locomotive

Timber

A quick snapshot of the first test print of Timbers' latest files.

You may note a change of resin (again!).

This is the Eono "Red Wax" colour water washable. Eono is Amazons' own brand.

It is quite thin and runny but the detail prints very well with little shrinkage.

I do find it is a bit brittle though so although it is "ok" the search continues for something better but water washable - if there is such a thing.20220829_114602.jpg.3629be1f0ed2807c80e51457b99c5c2d.jpg

Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I have not posted on this topic for a while.   Following the last post I have built the three Manning Wardle Old I Series owned by the B&M.   I have uploaded these to a seperate thread I am compiling on my B&M engine collection.   

But what I did want to post here is a video I receievd yesterday from a fellow member who has made a nice job of building one of these engines, using the 3D prints and etches described in this thread (plus their own superb skill and patience). 

This build is using split axles.  The etch supports both split axle and pickup construction.

Happy to help anyone else who wants to have a go.

Edited by Timber
  • Like 10

Slightly off topic, but my E class Manning Wardle was shunting East Lynn Quay at the Ally Pally show!  Since the AGM I have bonded the axleboxes to the frames and cleaned the wheel treads.  I am going to slightly alter the gearbox, by adding either brass plates or thrust bearings either side of the worm, as there is quite a bit of movement fore and aft. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 24/03/2023 at 18:34, SGF said:

Slightly off topic, but my E class Manning Wardle was shunting East Lynn Quay at the Ally Pally show!  Since the AGM I have bonded the axleboxes to the frames and cleaned the wheel treads.  I am going to slightly alter the gearbox, by adding either brass plates or thrust bearings either side of the worm, as there is quite a bit of movement fore and aft. 

Any pictures of Mammoth on East Lynn Quay?

I'm cracking on with Timber's brilliant I class and received a new body yesterday which I have allied to the split-frame SSMRS brass wheeled chassis I have finished, a scratch-built cab and my first attempt at hand-lining the tank. 

The chassis is fully compensated with the beams that are supplied by Timber on the etch for the 2 rear axles and I have rigged up a rocking beam for the front axle to give the full 3-point suspension that I personally favour (once it's set up it'll run forever whereas some springing that I tried and liked on other engines needs adjusting a few years later).  But 

With the small motor pointing up into the firebox,  the boiler and tank are free to add some weight. But even without any weight it is capable of pushing 5 wagons. But some weight is needed to make the compensation work. And as I'm seemingly incapable of making flat track, compensation is a necessity. 
Next steps are to crack on and finish the body from the parts Timber supplies plus some sand tanks for the middle. I'll also be ordering some oblong Makers plates and a name plate when I've decided what to call it. 

This project has been very enjoyable and got my modelling mojo back, thanks Timber!

DSC_1323.JPG

DSC_1324.JPG

• Like 7