Photo upload quality

Solo

• RMweb Premium

I've just noticed that all of the photos I've uploaded to RMweb over the last few months are being compressed to quite an extreme extent when they appear on the page e.g. a 4MB file saved on my laptop becomes a 400KB one when uploaded which makes them all look really rather grubby.  This doesn't seem to be the case with photos posted by others that I click onto, I wonder what I'm missing here and what do others tend to do when uploading photos to preserve the quality?

• Moderators

The compression, in size and quality, is the same for all. I'll try to take a look at what you've uploaded and advise if I spot anything. It may be worth resizing to 1500px wide before upload to minimise what the forum software does.

Screenshot_2022-05-28-19-46-55-563.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

The compression, in size and quality, is the same for all. I'll try to take a look at what you've uploaded and advise if I spot anything. It may be worth resizing to 1500px wide before upload to minimise what the forum software does.

I think anything uploaded from Flickr to this site (or others) seems to lose a bit of image quality

I must have posted hundreds (if not thousands of pics) over the years.  I haven't noticed any issues.

I stopped using Photobucket and Flickr ages ago.  Posting direct from my files to the site using the "choose files" link works well for me.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brossard said:

I must have posted hundreds (if not thousands of pics) over the years.  I haven't noticed any issues.

I stopped using Photobucket and Flickr ages ago.  Posting direct from my files to the site using the "choose files" link works well for me.

John

Yeah, I always post direct from my own files too, don't use any online photo hosting services which is why I find it strange.

4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I think it must be something I'm doing - if the max upload file size is 10MB I just assumed anything less than that would stay at its original size and not be compressed.  

• 1 year later...

Hello Andy and Gents

I have been trying to upload a couple of photos from my files and they all end upside down whether loaded from my PC, ipad or iphone.

What am I doing wrong as cannot see the ability to edit on the actual forum when uploaded.

Many thanks

John