RMweb

Prairies on t’ Southern?

1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

... No, they weren't.  Having looked through photos of Panniers working on the SR I can't find any evidence of a joggle or inwardly bent cab steps. ....

Try, for instance, 'Collett & Hawksworth Locomotives' ( Ian Allan 1978 ) : a clear joggle to the FRONT step of 4672 on p60 ( even mentioned in the caption ) - not so clear on 4626 & 4616 in the picture below.

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Try, for instance, 'Collett & Hawksworth Locomotives' ( Ian Allan 1978 ) : a VERY clear joggle on 4762 on p60 ( even mentioned in the caption ) - not so clear on 4626 & 4616 in the picture below.

What's 4762?

I appreciate it's a typo. Just wondering what one it should be.

Jason

Look normal and straight to me, realised I have that book within easy reach.

Don't forget the later ones had different types of steps from the earlier builds with the cut outs and revised size. Maybe due to snagging platforms?

A rear view of the same engine, but difficult to see if there is any pronounced "lean".

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p416923824/e5eb1ea2a

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
Posted the wrong link!

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

But looking through all my 45xx/4575 photos it would appear that the most common form of this modification is a joggle below the middle step (as visible in this shot of 4566 as preserved - it was the same in service days) which suggests the problem was over the bottom steps.

As an aside, this wasn't a St Blazey loco, which suggests that the Wadebridge branch wasn't the only one where the 45xxs had an issue.

18 hours ago, Rivercider said:

The 45XX tanks formerly allocated to Yeovil Pen Mill GWR shed were transferred to Yeovil Town SR, do they count?

When Weymouth shed transferred to the Southern there were still 45XX's, eg 4562, at Bridport sub-shed so terchnically SR loco's.

Stu

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2022 at 23:31, The Stationmaster said:

Large prairies only were permitted from Enborne Jcn to Shawford Jcn  over the DN&S- which effectively meat they couldn't work beyond Winchester Chesil

On 29/05/2022 at 23:31, The Stationmaster said:

Large prairies only Exeter St Davids - Exmouth Jcn (note small prairies were specifically prohibited)

Why would small  Prairies be banned, but not large Prairies?

Would it be to do with the lower wheel centre line meaning the cylinders were set lower, & therefore were wider at a lower point than on a large  Prairie?