Photos from a Hull - York trip maybe early 80s, is this the Selby Diversion?

Having a clear out I found some photos which are fading a bit so I scanned them for posterity (?). I'm sure they were taken from the back of a DMU on a trip from Hull to York while staying with a relative in Hull. Date would be between 1980 and 1985. I don't have the negatives so they may not be in the right order. Selby station and swing bridge feature plus views of a new alignment and train load of track panels. I'm wondering if this might be part of the Selby diversion under construction (opened 1983). So far searching on the internet and using Google maps has not shown the long brick building (looks a bit like it's a model) in the area of the Hambleton fly over. Can anyone confirm the location, or deduce the alternative please? 

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 11

One more photo but probably from an earlier visit when the SIL lived in South Cave - this is Brough, the approaching train my ride home, class 123? My main recollection of Brough was the level crossing, once on 4 tracks the gates did not completely close the railway when open for road traffic, and were more like a picket fence than normal crossing gates, opened and closed by a small motorised wheel on the outer end.

11.jpg

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

One more photo but probably from an earlier visit when the SIL lived in South Cave - this is Brough, the approaching train my ride home, class 123? My main recollection of Brough was the level crossing, once on 4 tracks the gates did not completely close the railway when open for road traffic, and were more like a picket fence than normal crossing gates, opened and closed by a small motorised wheel on the outer end.

11.jpg

BROUGH c1905.jpg

BROUGH EAST CJW53 29.jpg

CJW53 29 Brough East SB Sep1976.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

Having a clear out I found some photos which are fading a bit so I scanned them for posterity (?). I'm sure they were taken from the back of a DMU on a trip from Hull to York while staying with a relative in Hull. Date would be between 1980 and 1985. I don't have the negatives so they may not be in the right order. Selby station and swing bridge feature plus views of a new alignment and train load of track panels. I'm wondering if this might be part of the Selby diversion under construction (opened 1983). So far searching on the internet and using Google maps has not shown the long brick building (looks a bit like it's a model) in the area of the Hambleton fly over. Can anyone confirm the location, or deduce the alternative please? 

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Numbering the photos you have posted as 1 to 8, reorder them as:

5 6 7 8 2 3 4 1. This will put them in location order if travelling from York to Hull (via Sherburn). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

I have many photo's of Brough, just ask.

BROUGH 1931.jpg

Blimey; is that a Walrus Mick, or a Seagull?

12 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Mr Bodger, I have many photo's of Brough, just ask.

BROUGH 1931.jpg

BROUGH EAST Up Home 1 Aug 1982.jpg

Thank you for your kind offer. I have no particular interest in Brough, apart from the one visit while SIL lived nearby. Though I had known that Blackburn aircraft had a factory at Brough and presumed that was accessed via the Brough East level crossing. Your photo with the 'plane flying over is very interesting in that context.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 45125 said:

Possibly an Iris or a Perth....

Looks slightly more like a Perth because of the cockpit but that could be because of the angle of view.  But definitely a multi-engined flying boat with a large tail plane and seen at Brough which immediately leads towards a Blackburn built aircraft.  

I think that my dad cycled there from Riccall after a Journeyman's job about the time he finished his apprenticeship but no luck so he moved south to Oxfordshire and got a job on the estate where his uncle worked.

• Like 3

On 01/06/2022 at 21:01, Artless Bodger said:

I'm wondering if this might be part of the Selby diversion under construction (opened 1983). So far searching on the internet and using Google maps has not shown the long brick building (looks a bit like it's a model) in the area of the Hambleton fly over. Can anyone confirm the location, or deduce the alternative please? 

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Yes, that's the Selby diversion under construction.

Your trains joined the Leeds - Selby line at Gascoigne Wood, and is crossing what will be the Hambleton Junctions.

The brick building's in the North-west corner of where the two routes cross, and the single track opposite's the North - East curve.

The line adjacent the building the wagons are on's a bit of a mystery, there's no lines there.

Must have been a works access siding.

Edited by Ken.W
Correct auto-in-correct
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ken.W said:

Your trains joined the Leeds - Selby line at Gascoigne Wood, and is crossing what will be the Hambleton Junctions.

The brick building's in the North-west corner of where the two routes cross, and the single track opposite's the North - East curve.

The line adjacent the building the wagons are on's a bit of a mystery, there's no lines there.

When the the flyover was built over the diversion was built the existing Selby - Leeds line was to the south of the new flyover, the track bed could be seen right up to the early 2000s. The flyover line has a slight joggle in it, which isn't easily seen from the ECML.

Al Taylor.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/06/2022 at 18:12, Ken.W said:

Thank you Ken. When I looked at the google map views I could not reconcile that curve with the actual layout, so that is an interesting idea.

On 01/06/2022 at 22:47, iands said:

Numbering the photos you have posted as 1 to 8, reorder them as:

5 6 7 8 2 3 4 1. This will put them in location order if travelling from York to Hull (via Sherburn). 

I'd thought it was the outward trip from Hull but thinking about it and asking head gardener we remembered that the day was hot - it was a sticky trip to York in the morning - after some sight-seeing we had to cut short as a thunderstorm let loose and the misty, wet conditions evident in the photos and your analysis certainly supports them being taken on the return trip.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2022 at 18:12, Ken.W said:

On 03/06/2022 at 19:30, 45125 said:

When the the flyover was built over the diversion was built the existing Selby - Leeds line was to the south of the new flyover, the track bed could be seen right up to the early 2000s. The flyover line has a slight joggle in it, which isn't easily seen from the ECML.

Al Taylor.

Found this photo on Twitter (Gareth Dennis). Shows the Hambleton junctions very nicely during the construction phase. The view is roughly 'west to east', (that is from Gascoigne Wood towards Selby) and shows the contractors sidings (which @Ken.W mentions) which at the time of the photo would have been accessed from Gascoigne Wood 'North' sidings, but later had a connection to what would become the new ECML Down Main (I have some minutes/drawings from the project which talk about this connection, type of wagons used, where the sleepers would come from, and how the new ECML would be laid).

This photo also shows the original Leeds-Selby formation and the 'new' Leeds-Selby formation that @45125 mentions.

1895901238_HambletonJcnsECML.thumb.jpg.af7b76bd2147f942b0878a0cee458259.jpg

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1