Fowey Station Goods Yard

• RMweb Premium

Whilst there were wagon turntables in the early days when the wagons were run onto the jetties for tipping directly into vessels, the facilities were modernised in the early 1920s with new tipplers which were parallel to the main running lines and the wagons were discharged into storage bins fed by conveyors. 

The main line past the tipplers can be seen in this shot of a wagon being tipped.

P387438.jpg.d9597826a95a0885a7011eda21ee964e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I shall have to delve the Fowey capstan Instructions which I have somewhere.  Wagon turntables are definitely mentioned in the 1939 Appendix to the Service Timetable and Atkins includes a photo of them on No.1 Jetty dated 1936 although at least one conveyor had been in use since before the Great War.

46 minutes ago, MarcD said:

Interesting photo. Any ideas on its origin?

Looks like a PO wagon.

Marc 

An exPO wagon as it has a P prefix. I would assume ECLP but there's so little of the original paintwork visible...

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MarcD said:

Interesting photo. Any ideas on its origin?

Looks like a PO wagon.

Marc 

There were a few of that type around even in the late 50s. In most respects they look like the Slaters 7mm china clay wagon, except for the diagonal bracing. I had wondered if that was a later addition to the same type?

Edited by Hal Nail

10 hours ago, Mikkel said:

It occurs to me that barrels covered in China Clay is a good medium for smuggling stuff.

Let's CPO Pertwee isn't paying attention. I've got enough trouble with him back over the border at HMS Hades.

6 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

There were a few of that type around even in the late 50s. In most respects they look like the Slaters 7mm china clay wagon, except for the diagonal bracing. I had wondered if that was a later addition to the same type?

The wagon in the photo has a rounded end at the non-door end and only has 4 planks. I have gone through my photos of china clay wagons and it doesn't match anything I have. The only wagon I have seen that matches the Slaters kit is the John Lovering and bath Gas works. So the wagon is a bit of a mystery to me.

Marc 

• 1 year later...
On 04/06/2022 at 12:17, Mike_Walker said:

Whilst there were wagon turntables in the early days when the wagons were run onto the jetties for tipping directly into vessels, the facilities were modernised in the early 1920s with new tipplers which were parallel to the main running lines and the wagons were discharged into storage bins fed by conveyors. 

The main line past the tipplers can be seen in this shot of a wagon being tipped.

P387438.jpg.d9597826a95a0885a7011eda21ee964e.jpg

A very belated reply – for which apologies Mike – but I have found this shot of a similar wagon in ECC livery. The one on the tippler still has grease boxes so must have been pretty ancient by BR days! The shape of the top plank at the non-door end is slightly different...

Image21-04-2024at18_41.jpg.65bcf5cad631965869321c4c7ea05bbc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

ECC, formed in 1919, has two different liveries for there wagons a grey for clay and a dark red oxide for coal. Clay wagons were not pooled but the coal ones were. Also there was a merger with another large firm in the early 30's. So this shot must date from about 1920 to 1931. My money would be on earlier than later looking at the weathering.

The random shapes and sizes of the wagons is due to their origins. In 1919 Martin Bros, West of England china clay and North Cornwall China Clay merged. In addition to this between 1920 and 1929 ECC bought out another 12 smaller companies most of which would have had their own wagons.

In 1931 there was another big merger to form English Clays Lovering Pochin. These wagons had ECLP on them.

Marc

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Posted (edited)
On 16/04/2024 at 19:53, David Ashbolt said:

Hello Kieth, heres a cut from a GWR track plan that matches(?) the image you posted.

Cheers David,

Fowey track plan.JPG

David, many thanks, that's solved the puzzle over how GWR had fitted that many sidings into the space south of the station.

On the older map, south of the station building, there was a triangle of ground with trees, which I'd assumed was the limit.

image.png.08ba511fd36ef8eb70ded77c262821a6.png

From your general plan, it's now obvious it has been used to both extend the sidings and reduce their curvature. Here's my "Mark 3" attempt, using the extra space, along with a goods shed, the station building, footbridge and a signal box.

image.png.f884bf985e712336c9a96a73826340d4.png

Edited by KeithMacdonald
Typos
  • Like 5

On 22/04/2024 at 22:00, KeithMacdonald said:

David, many thanks, that's solved the puzzle over how GWR had fitted that many sidings into the space south of the station.

On the older map, south of the station building, there was a triangle of ground with trees, which I'd assumed was the limit.

image.png.08ba511fd36ef8eb70ded77c262821a6.png

From your general plan, it's now obvious it has been used to both extend the sidings and reduce their curvature. Here's my "Mark 3" attempt, using the extra space, along with a goods shed, the station building, footbridge and a signal box.

image.png.f884bf985e712336c9a96a73826340d4.png

Heres some more detail of the goodshed and the carriage shoot attached/behind it.

You can see the goods shed track extends through it and end level with an office.

Further track configurations/plans of the earlier years can be sourced from the national railway museum.

plan Fowey goods shed.JPG

Edited by David Ashbolt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2024 at 20:58, KeithMacdonald said:

Is it House or Shop Breaking?

I could discern the word Shop, but not the 2nd word, so perhaps the latter.

• Like 1