LNWR in P4

7 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Looks great, but those prominent springs would be much better with white-metal or 3D-printed replacements. (Yes, I'm being picky!)

Indeed they would. The loco kit is from Nick Easton's BIWO (Because I Want One) which were marketed by London Road Models some time after Nick developed them.

I believe they may have recently passed into LRM's hands, so John Redrup may be persuaded to add a  few refinements. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Looks great, but those prominent springs would be much better with white-metal or 3D-printed replacements. (Yes, I'm being picky!)

However when the footplate and splashes are fitted only the "ears"  show.

Just off the printer is a 7mm version.

20230423_131801.jpg.c3ecd4ec2ef17051addb3b805f9b2e4f.jpg

• Like 1

On 21/04/2023 at 21:49, Mikkel said:

That is an incredibly appealing train. You could stop right there and it would still draw attention.

I look forward to seeing the tracks go down. Or rather, being assembled. What components will you be using for track?

Thank you Mikkel That's a nice thing to say. I Will be using code 75 Bull Head Raíl Exactoscale chairs and ply sleepers. I have cheated with the pointwork, I got someone else to do it. 

• Like 1

On 22/04/2023 at 14:13, Miss Prism said:

I'm not sure, but it looks as if Coal Tank hasn't soldered the second layer of springs to the back of these ones, yet.
They are on the fret(s)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Having a little break from engines, so I have started one of these early four wheeled coaches. I need six of these the only problem so far is that the roof seems to be too narrow so I may have to get some plasticard. 

IMG_20230515_134430.jpg

• Like 9

Ooh, is that one of the Saltley LNWR 4 wheelers from LRM.  Feeling slightly nostalgic was the first kit I made when returning to modelling a couple of years ago.  My first bit of soldering was to attach the etched springs to the outsides of the horn block / W iron thingies as thought that’s where they always went - didn’t read the instructions or own a book with a photo at that stage.  Then spent ages trying to unsolder everything and wondered whether I shouldn’t take up another hobby.

image.jpeg.de5a6d4e4621e3b26745e350046c96e7.jpeg

Don’t forget the chain brake 🙂.  I was a bit confused by the roof as well but came in handy for another build.

The Lady is still sitting in its box whilst I pluck up the courage to make something that actually moves(!). Was definitely going to channel slotted splashers, open cab and green livery to go with these carriages.  I can only but dream…

Edited by Citadel
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, Citadel said:

Ooh, is that one of the Saltley LNWR 4 wheelers from LRM.  Feeling slightly nostalgic was the first kit I made when returning to modelling a couple of years ago.  My first bit of soldering was to attach the etched springs to the outsides of the horn block / W iron thingies as that’s where they always went - didn’t read the instructions or own a book with a photo at that stage.  Then spent ages trying to unsolder everything and wondered whether I shouldn’t take up another hobby.

Don’t forget the chain brake 🙂.  I was a bit confused by the roof as well but came in handy for another build.

The Lady is still sitting in its box whilst I pluck up the courage to make something that actually moves(!). Was definitely going to channel slotted splashers, open cab and green livery to go with these carriages.  I can only but dream…

You can do it, Just do the frames first. To be honest I thought that it was quite easy to make 

John 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 15/05/2023 at 14:19, Citadel said:

Ooh, is that one of the Saltley LNWR 4 wheelers from LRM.  Feeling slightly nostalgic was the first kit I made when returning to modelling a couple of years ago.  My first bit of soldering was to attach the etched springs to the outsides of the horn block / W iron thingies as thought that’s where they always went - didn’t read the instructions or own a book with a photo at that stage.  Then spent ages trying to unsolder everything and wondered whether I shouldn’t take up another hobby.

Hi Mike, the lids with a handle on the roof. Did you make those or did the come with the kit? 

Hi, a little bit more work on the early coach. There are some photos of these coaches on Ian Rathbones website showing them with hand rails on the ends for getting onto the roof so I thought that I would do the same 

John 

IMG_20230519_141150.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hello John

Fig 38 on page 53 of A Register of West Coast Joint Stock is a superb picture of one of these carriages photographed on the Bishops Castle Railway in 1934.  Pretty much unaltered from original condition, still with chain brake etc.  

Good detail of the steps and handrails to access the roof.  The loops up onto the roof are definitely there but a maybe a bit smaller than yours, also note that the lower step is two narrower ones rather than full width.  A further two lower down still.  

I found the photo after I’d finished mine and had missed these details - I’m channelling @Chas Levin ‘time capsule’ approach as an excuse not to start modifying the model but definitely next time….

Looking good, makes me want to build another one!

Mike

Edited by Citadel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/05/2023 at 18:46, Citadel said:

I found the photo after I’d finished mine and had missed these details - I’m channelling @Chas Levin ‘time capsule’ approach as an excuse not to start modifying the model but definitely next time….

I'd not thought of describing it as the 'time capsule' approach - it made me think of this:

BPTC.jpg.1d9997094512fbd0b1a8ddcfc0342b7c.jpg

Which didn't work out quite so well, as many on here will remember...! 🥲

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2023 at 10:20, Amaziii said:

I love your A Class, Coal Tank! Since I know it comes from LRM now, did the boiler come pre-rolled? 

Cheers,
Amazi

Hi, it came with a Tube and a pre rolled boiler. I used the Tube.. Thank you for your comments 

John 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...