Problems with Farish N class steam loco

MikeEK

I would be very grateful for any advice concerning running problems with my nearly new Farish 372-935  SE&CR N Class loco. Suddenly while it still runs in reverse smoothly, when running forward it stutters often and stops frequently. This happens on any part of the track (Kato Unitrack) whether straight or curved.  I have cleaned the wheels but have no other technical knowledge (or skill) to work with! Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks. I can't see any obvious distortions. The loco just comes to a stop and if I increase the power the motor whines but the loco doesn't move, even when I push it gently. However if I switch it to reverse it immediately runs off smoothly and continues running backwards uneventfully. Any further thoughts?

• RMweb Premium

My experience with the newer Farish steam locos leads me to suggest that the motor is not fully secure in the chassis. That in the forward direction it's being pushed upwards by the gears and meshing between the worm gears is being lost while in reverse this does not happen. You'll only be able to determine the actual cause by taking the body off and watching it while it runs, but this is my best guess.